Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors has increased incentives on the new Pontiac G6 and Buick LaCrosse because of sluggish sales, the Wall Street Journal reported. The company is also preparing to scale back production of the G6.

Paul Ballew, GM's executive director of market and industry analysis, said G6 sales are "pretty good" but admitted they are "not off the charts," the story said. GM expects to sell about 6,000 G6s this month, up from about 4,000 last month, he said.

Meanwhile, dealer's inventories of the G6 and LaCrosse are increasing; GM currently has a 123-day supply of the G6 — about double the normal amount — and enough LaCrosses in inventory to last about 122 days at the current selling rate, the story said.

To boost sales of the cars, GM is now offering between $1,500 and $2,000 in rebates, depending on the region, or low-interest financing such as 0% interest rates on 36-month loans. Buyers in all regions who trade in cars from competing manufacturers can receive another $1,000, and in the Southeast region, a consumer could get as much as $4,000 in cash incentives. GM also has given dealers coupons allowing them to cut the prices on the G6 or LaCrosse by up to an additional $1,000, the WSJ noted.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=9237

i guess not even Oprah can help GM sell cars.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Paul Ballew, GM's executive director of market and industry analysis, said G6 sales are "pretty good" but admitted they are "not off the charts," the story said. GM expects to sell about 6,000 G6s this month, up from about 4,000 last month, he said.

he said good because he still wanna keep his job hehee

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
what were they thinking when they even decided to put this car up in the market in the first place??

i won't be surprised to see this car die out in within 2 years...

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
i wouldn't drive one for free.......

WAIT.....i'd drive one to the honda dealership as a trade in...:D

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
It's overpriced imo, even with all the incentives. The top of the line model msrps's for like 27k, and about 29k with the convertible hardtop i believe. The base GT model has a base msrp of 23k, about the same as an RSX Type S which is already fairly loaded in standard trim . Incentives will probably knock a couple of grand off the g6's prices and so real-world prices are less than the msrp's, but it's still too close in price to other superior vehicles like the TSX and RSX Type S. And really, who'd pick a g6 over a TSX or RSX Type S?

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
5.0 said:
It's overpriced imo, even with all the incentives. The top of the line model msrps's for like 27k, and about 29k with the convertible hardtop i believe. The base GT model has a base msrp of 23k, about the same as an RSX Type S which is already fairly loaded in standard trim . Incentives will probably knock a couple of grand off the g6's prices and so real-world prices are less than the msrp's, but it's still too close in price to other superior vehicles like the TSX and RSX Type S. And really, who'd pick a g6 over a TSX or RSX Type S?
thats person i seen driving one yesterday.....all i could do is shake my head...:noo

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
njn63 said:
I saw the g6 coupe at the autoshow and it just screamed accord. Kinda sad because no one really likes the accord coupes and the sales of the g6 reflect that.
i like the accord coupe lol
so whats so special about the g6? like what kindof car was it supposed to be and who was it supposed to compete against. to me, it seems like its just overpriced crappiness. :confused

·
Registered
866 Posts
gm, and ford for that matter, desperately need an honestly good car in this class. they have none, the ford 500 seems like it's doomed for failure. i did get the chance to drive the new malibu for a rental and while they're roomy and drive fairly nice on the highway, nothing that would lure me away from a camry or accord. chrysler made a hit with the 300c and hopefully they can run with that momentum but if GM and ford are serious about attracting accord/camry loyalists to their showrooms, they haven't done their homework. i give them a "D+" for their efforts with the 500, G6,and malibu. all cars that would fit right in at rental agencies, taxi companies, business cars etc aka fleet sales; but not for the general public.

·
Registered
699 Posts
pontiac sales are just sad, the GTO is a disapointment to many loyalists and the G6 will never compare to an accord or camry at the rate it's headed. As stated above the G6 and the 500 will prolly be gone in a few years :byye

·
Registered
307 Posts
DDR2 said:
gm, and ford for that matter, desperately need an honestly good car in this class. they have none, the ford 500 seems like it's doomed for failure. i did get the chance to drive the new malibu for a rental and while they're roomy and drive fairly nice on the highway, nothing that would lure me away from a camry or accord. chrysler made a hit with the 300c and hopefully they can run with that momentum but if GM and ford are serious about attracting accord/camry loyalists to their showrooms, they haven't done their homework. i give them a "D+" for their efforts with the 500, G6,and malibu. all cars that would fit right in at rental agencies, taxi companies, business cars etc aka fleet sales; but not for the general public.

How is the Ford 500 seemingly doomed for failure? It's following in the footsteps of the 300C, which has done incredibly well, but also improves upon some areas where the Chrysler missed. I think the 500 will do better than the last Taurus.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Turbomice2 said:
How is the Ford 500 seemingly doomed for failure? It's following in the footsteps of the 300C, which has done incredibly well, but also improves upon some areas where the Chrysler missed. I think the 500 will do better than the last Taurus.
i haven't seen or heard a single overly positive review of the 500 like you've seen wth the accord, camry and even the 300c. no i don't have firsthand experience with the ford 500, like most of us i have to go by the reviews of other people like magazines, car shows, sales people, etc which is what they're there for. but ford hyped up the 500 to be some sort of revolutionary car to revive their car sales to where they used to be. you're right though, i shouldn't say doomed for failure, just doomed for disappointment. perhaps i shoudl go thoroughly test drive one and see for myself. i hope i'm wrong for ford's sake though.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbomice2 said:
the 300C and the five hundred are two different cars. the bases for the 300C selling point is affordability, styling, and performance. the five hundred is a conservativer, over priced, under powered, and oversized Focus looking car.
the five hundred isnt going to save ford anytime soon. :noo

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
druuuu said:
so whats so special about the g6? :confused
It has a cool sunroof. :rolleyes

But in all seriousness, nothing at all. It's completely lame and nothing about it (besides said sunroof) stands out. It has a 200hp pushrod V6 and weighs over 3500lbs. Lame-O.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
the 300C and the five hundred are two different cars. the bases for the 300C selling point is affordability, styling, and performance. the five hundred is a conservativer, over priced, under powered, and oversized Focus looking car.
the five hundred isnt going to save ford anytime soon. :noo
Underpowerd and conservative, but i don't think it is overpriced. You can pick up an SE model with AWD for like 23k msrp. Top of the line loaded versions top out at 28k i believe. Decently priced i would say. It has a few things going for it, namely size and room which is best in class. Overall, a decent effort. It would be a lot better if they didn't take so long to get the 240-275hp 3.5L Duratec to market (guessing 500 will get a 240-250hp version while lincoln gets the 275hp version). That's still atleast another model year away. Once it gets that, it wouldn't feel so underpowered. An SVT version is also rumored and if it becomes a reality it'll probably have a 320hp 4.4L v8. So hopefully the power issue will be resolved in the years to come:).

It isn't going to save Ford, but its a step in the right direction when you compare it what used to be Fords only mid-sized offering (the aging Taurus). Sales wise, the 500 is doing well, and the AWD version have exceeded demand thus far. So people seem to be buying them. This and the new Fusion are definitly going to give Ford a bit more credibility in the family car department. The taurus has been pathetic ever since the 96 redesign.

Ford's other mid-size offering (Ford Fusion) sounds like a better car. Just read a review on it, and it was pretty positive. I'm am really looking forward to the SVT version of the fusion. 300hp turbo 2.3L, 6spd manual, AWD, host of performance goodies:). Basically a mazdaspeed6 with a bit more performance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
njn63 said:
The 300C is a mini bentley. The Ford 500 is a mini Taurus. You can see now why the 300C sells so well and why the 500 is doomed for failure.
The 500 is bigger than the last taurus, its actually more of a mini Crown Vic.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5.0 said:
Underpowerd and conservative, but i don't think it is overpriced. You can pick up an SE model with AWD for like 23k msrp. Top of the line loaded versions top out at 28k i believe. Decently priced i would say. It has a few things going for it, namely size and room which is best in class. Overall, a decent effort. It would be a lot better if they didn't take so long to get the 240-275hp 3.5L Duratec to market (guessing 500 will get a 240-250hp version while lincoln gets the 275hp version). That's still atleast another model year away. Once it gets that, it wouldn't feel so underpowered. An SVT version is also rumored and if it becomes a reality it'll probably have a 320hp 4.4L v8. So hopefully the power issue will be resolved in the years to come:).
you can pick up a V6 LE camry (210hp) for $22,530 and the accord V6 (240hp) lX for $23,800.
the ford 500 SE AWD is $23,945 w/ 203hp.
oh yea the camry and the accord both weigh 500lbs less than the five hundred.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
divinewisdom said:
you can pick up a V6 LE camry (210hp) for $22,530 and the accord V6 (240hp) lX for $23,800.
Maybe that's where they got the name Five Hundred? :giggle

·
Registered
388 Posts
divinewisdom said:
yea, you dont think the fact that it has awd would account for the few extra $$'s and the extra weight? its also a much beefier car.

you guys are all so quick to shoot down domestic stuff. go move to japan if you have such a hardon for their tin cans.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
IsBlueSmokeBad? said:
yea, you dont think the fact that it has awd would account for the few extra $$'s and the extra weight? its also a much beefier car.

you guys are all so quick to shoot down domestic stuff. go move to japan if you have such a hardon for their tin cans.
Wow, and that's not a stereotype... http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210580

And describe "beefier" for me. Are you speaking of the iron block? Or maybe the completely unnecessary optional 18"s? 500lbs is a LOT of weight, and AWD is at most 40% of that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts