Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to GM Syncromesh MT fluid about 5 months ago, and I am very happy with it so far. I had a slight grind in 3rd gear in the higher RPM's with the standard MT fluid. After a couple of weeks with the Syncromesh, the grind almost disappeared totally. I highly recommend GM Syncromesh MT fluid to anyone. :)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
same here. after just 50 miles my 3rd gear grind went away, not completely but it doesnt grind like it used to, and my tranny has about 209xxx miles(i think the honda 3rd gear syncro's have a design flaw)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
90Si said:
same here. after just 50 miles my 3rd gear grind went away, not completely but it doesnt grind like it used to, and my tranny has about 209xxx miles(i think the honda 3rd gear syncro's have a design flaw)
Agreed.. the 3rd gear flaw thing. I havn't tried the GM MT Fluid, but I more than likely will.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
I was about to go out and get this yesterday. Was debating on either getting honda mtf or this. But due to the fact that my 3rd gear just this week has gotten bad. I think im going to get the synchromesh now.

Thanks for the review. Ill let you know how it goes for me today.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I guess it feels better but not realy the shifts is bout the same as Honda MTF but w/Syncromesh my 4th gear was harder to get out of. Its easy to go into any gear just hard to take out of 4th, n yes the clutch is all the way in. It didnt perform to my expectations, the shifts aint slipery its crisp like the Honda MTF but not better. This might change over time tho. I will post if it feels any better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use it my Honda and my always grindy DSM, it works really really well in my honda and does an ok job in my DSM

·
Registered
81 Posts
so comparing the gm syncromesh with the penzoil syncromesh is one better than the other? i saw the penzoil one at the parts store today and its supposed to be compatible to the gm and chrysler syncromesh fluids, so im guessing gm came out first then penzoil is the aftermarket/cheaper alternative anyone have their two cents to put in comparing the two, also how about the bg syncroshift?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
pennzoil makes synchromesh for GM. So just buy pennzoil for 1/2 the price. I recently switched to synchromesh from redline mt90. synchromesh is a little slicker than the mt90 was. I would say that it is comparable to redline mtl. I will probably stick with synchromesh just because it is easier to get... Local autozone carries it, whereas I have to hunt all over town for redline or order online...

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Mobil 1 Synchromesh works very well and is like 6 bucks a quart. I like it much better than GM or Pennzoil.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I just put the Penzzoil Synchromesh (same stuff) in my GSR. Before I did it, the tranny was grinding 50% of the time going from second to third and 90% of the time coming from fourth to third. It was very aggrevating. Put this stuff in and have had no grinds since. It stopped the grinding the same day I put it in. This stuff is amazing!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am in the process of putting back together my D16z6 tranny and I just bought some syncromesh fluid. I went to the dealer but I picked up the friction modified syncromesh. The cost was $30 for 2 qrts. I should be back on sunday to give the heads up.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
2camvtec said:
Mobil 1 Synchromesh works very well and is like 6 bucks a quart. I like it much better than GM or Pennzoil.
last time I checked mobil1 did not make a gl-4 based transmission fluid. What does that mean? It means it is not yellow metal friendly. The synchros in honda/acura trannies are brass (a yellow metal) and a non gl-4 based tranny fluid (like what mobil1 offers) will eat the synchros. Do not use a mobil1 tranny fluid in a honda/acura.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts