Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
kommon_sense said:
last time I checked mobil1 did not make a gl-4 based transmission fluid. What does that mean? It means it is not yellow metal friendly. The synchros in honda/acura trannies are brass (a yellow metal) and a non gl-4 based tranny fluid (like what mobil1 offers) will eat the synchros. Do not use a mobil1 tranny fluid in a honda/acura.

Why do the two metals differ?

·
Registered
419 Posts
White Pride SI said:
I am in the process of putting back together my D16z6 tranny and I just bought some syncromesh fluid. I went to the dealer but I picked up the friction modified syncromesh. The cost was $30 for 2 qrts. I should be back on sunday to give the heads up.
Well everything turned out great. It makes a huge difference with this Si tranny. I cant remember what gear it used to grind in but it is gone now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another happy customer! it has been just over a week since i put the GM synchromesh (i didnt get the kind with "friction modifier"). very very pleased! though at over 10$ a quart i wasnt too happy, it was about the cheapest tranny "fix" possible. my tranny would grind at about 3800 rpm going into third gear. i havent completly stress tested my tranny... nor do i really intend to, but i have shifted with no grinds into third gear up to 6k rpm. thats more than high enough for me to pull into indy traffic. FYI i have in my car a b16/GSR tranny. i wasnt able to find the other brands of the synchromesh at a parts store.... they all looked at me like i was stupid. just another HELL YEAH for this stuff. best regards...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
well just poured in some Penz syncromesh.

just pulling out of the driveway was great! car shifts much smoother after just driving down the street.

gooood stuff. best I have used.

I have tried Honda MTF, reline and now this is handsdown the best.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am considering changing mine to GM syncromesh as well as I have heard mostly great things. Anyone know how often the GM stuff should be changed?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts