Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn valve cover wont stay sealed. I bought a new gasket, nope..didnt seal. got some sealant. nope again didnt seal. got some other sealant, was good for a bit(1month) until i got on the high. nope. Im gunna weld the bitch on. :mad

any ideas. an yes i clean it each time.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
is the valve cover warped or bent at all? that could cause some pretty good leaks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
use it as an excuse to buy a type s valve cover...or one of those sweet ass blue ones.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was just reading this and had a thought, if the valve cover is bent/warped, there would have to be some pretty peculiar reason for it right? I mean, that's not normal for it to just get warped by itself. Did you have any work in the past year or so involving the cover? or did you take it off to paint it or something? Maybe (guessing wildly) an over torque on the bolts when putting it back on caused the deformation in the cover or the threads? Just some late night brainstorming for what it's worth. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sodikai said:
I was just reading this and had a thought, if the valve cover is bent/warped, there would have to be some pretty peculiar reason for it right? I mean, that's not normal for it to just get warped by itself. Did you have any work in the past year or so involving the cover? or did you take it off to paint it or something? Maybe (guessing wildly) an over torque on the bolts when putting it back on caused the deformation in the cover or the threads? Just some late night brainstorming for what it's worth. Good luck!
well i had work done but not the valve cover. just painted it like u said. i dont think its warped. i think maybe i just got a bad gasket in the kit. i think what i might do it get some new sealant an redue it but let it sit for a long while before drivin.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
[...] Im gunna weld the bitch on. :mad
...just do that :D

LOL j/p man.

TEST 1: Remove your valve cover from the motor, remove anythng else (gasket, sealant etc), clean any remains from the head and place the valve cover w/out anything else to see if it seats flat on the head.

TEST 2: Try placing your valve cover on a flat surface and get your eyes really close to see if there is any gap betwin the cover and the surface, a pointer laser or flash light would be helpful :)

Just a tip: if you torque the bolts too much the valve covers sidewalls will somehow expand, may be not noticable with bare eye but they will.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My guess is that you really overtighten the bolts and warped the cover somewhat. Then by replacing the domed nuts with regular ones and even more overtighting fucked it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sodikai said:
:stupid You defenitelly are on the right track, I bet Ms. DrivinVtec didn't bolt it the right way. :noo

Hey man, some of these guys have the correct idea, you should almost everything they have mentioned.
  1. Clean the head after removing the valve cover and then check for clearance, if its bent it means you didn't use the Cross pattern of bolting on the valve cover. Another reason this may bend is Overheating of the motor, but you haven't had this. Is simple man... if it doesn't look warped or bent that's great, use the same gasket (if it is brand new like you say... check for condition first of course) and make sure it is clean.
  2. Use the OEM bolts (check condition of them) and a Torque Wrench at 15 N*m setting, no more than this.
  3. Once you have the gasket assembled, place it gently on the Head of the Motor, do not squeeze with hands.
  4. Now gently bolt the OEM nuts by hand without squeezing.
  5. This is the trick, get a small wrench (the smallest the better, less torque) and what you need to do is to make 1/4 turns to each one until they are all down. Then use this same pattern with the Torque wrench set at 15 N*m.
  6. The sequence in which they need to be tighten down is middle first, then sides in a Cross pattern.
  7. Like this: Middle nut half a turn with the wrench, then middle "intake manifold" nut, the lower middle "exhaust" nut. Then choose one side of either upward corner and after that bolt the oposite lower corner of that one you chose. Reapeat all steps until you seem that the nuts are getting harder, then do 1/4 of a turn until you're done.
What this does is that it settles the gasket evenly and not tighten more one side and then the other, since the rubber actually moves from the position is assembled you need to keep it in the right pattern. Also, this prevents the Valve Cover from bending.

You're alright guy, it doesn't matter how much shit you do in your car as long as you do it right.... By the way....... GET A DAMN HELMS AND DON'T BE LAZY TO READ IT!!!! :mad

:giggle :lmao :hug

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Freakin'H22A said:
:stupid You defenitelly are on the right track, I bet Ms. DrivinVtec didn't bolt it the right way. :noo

Hey man, some of these guys have the correct idea, you should almost everything they have mentioned.
  1. Clean the head after removing the valve cover and then check for clearance, if its bent it means you didn't use the Cross pattern of bolting on the valve cover. Another reason this may bend is Overheating of the motor, but you haven't had this. Is simple man... if it doesn't look warped or bent that's great, use the same gasket (if it is brand new like you say... check for condition first of course) and make sure it is clean.
  2. Use the OEM bolts (check condition of them) and a Torque Wrench at 15 N*m setting, no more than this.
  3. Once you have the gasket assembled, place it gently on the Head of the Motor, do not squeeze with hands.
  4. Now gently bolt the OEM nuts by hand without squeezing.
  5. This is the trick, get a small wrench (the smallest the better, less torque) and what you need to do is to make 1/4 turns to each one until they are all down. Then use this same pattern with the Torque wrench set at 15 N*m.
  6. The sequence in which they need to be tighten down is middle first, then sides in a Cross pattern.
  7. Like this: Middle nut half a turn with the wrench, then middle "intake manifold" nut, the lower middle "exhaust" nut. Then choose one side of either upward corner and after that bolt the oposite lower corner of that one you chose. Reapeat all steps until you seem that the nuts are getting harder, then do 1/4 of a turn until you're done.
What this does is that it settles the gasket evenly and not tighten more one side and then the other, since the rubber actually moves from the position is assembled you need to keep it in the right pattern. Also, this prevents the Valve Cover from bending.

You're alright guy, it doesn't matter how much shit you do in your car as long as you do it right.... By the way....... GET A DAMN HELMS AND DON'T BE LAZY TO READ IT!!!! :mad

:giggle :lmao :hug
:lol2

I have a helms. never thought to look about how to install a valve cover :bash ill do what u said. make sence. thanks man if i can rep..ill do it..lets see if i can.........

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
:lol2

I have a helms. never thought to look about how to install a valve cover :bash ill do what u said. make sence. thanks man if i can rep..ill do it..lets see if i can.........
Thanks man, hope it works out!!! Let me know how it comes out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts