Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sitting here late night... gaming like usual... and my line drops out motherfucking 3 times in 2 hours... fucking bullshit... this is why i switched users ... from sbc to road runner... and i still get the same motherfucking hangups!!!! what a way to ruin my night :bash :bash :bash :bash :bash :bash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Umm... I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. What hardware do you use to connect to the net? Is there a possible bad piece of hardware between you and the cable modem? Router, cable, nic card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
There are times I had poor connection as well. SBC sucked ass & we switched to Charter (which also sucks imho).

We had poor connection due to the splitter. Apparently the main cable line can't split to three TV sets & the cable modem. I called technical support & they helped me verify that it was the problem. I can't even split from the direct line to the cable modem & the other output to another splitter to the TVs...

Whack-attack. :bash :bash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5gencivic said:
Umm... I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. What hardware do you use to connect to the net? Is there a possible bad piece of hardware between you and the cable modem? Router, cable, nic card?

i wouldnt think so... everything i have is pretty new... my nic card is built into the motherboard... my cable modem is fairly new, i have that hooked up into my my linksys wireless router and then hooked up to my computer... everything is new except my computer itself... if it happens tonite... im calling timewarner in pissed off mode!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jhwee said:
There are times I had poor connection as well. SBC sucked ass & we switched to Charter (which also sucks imho).

We had poor connection due to the splitter. Apparently the main cable line can't split to three TV sets & the cable modem. I called technical support & they helped me verify that it was the problem. I can't even split from the direct line to the cable modem & the other output to another splitter to the TVs...

Whack-attack. :bash :bash

strange... i wonder if thats what im experiencing... we have 2 tvs hooked up, 2 phones and my computer...

but each rooom has its own hookup... i guess ill have to call and find out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
I havent had internet for about a week now. I assume its becasue of how I had to wire the house. we used splitters and shit. most were low quality ones. one of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and fix it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
TSXmike said:
strange... i wonder if thats what im experiencing... we have 2 tvs hooked up, 2 phones and my computer...

but each rooom has its own hookup... i guess ill have to call and find out

When I initially moved into this house I had trouble with my cable modem. When ever my 46inch was on I would get kicked off line. No brainer as to what was happening. The cable company came out and boosted signal to my home and problem solved. Call Timewarner and tell them that you just have 1 pc hooked directly to the cable modem and it's still happening. Tell them you've replaced cables, taken out your router and changed nic cards and it's still happening and you want something done about it now. They'll fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,058 Posts
TSXmike said:
i wouldnt think so... everything i have is pretty new... my nic card is built into the motherboard... my cable modem is fairly new, i have that hooked up into my my linksys wireless router and then hooked up to my computer... everything is new except my computer itself... if it happens tonite... im calling timewarner in pissed off mode!
If you have a problem with it dropping, and you have a wireless connection, it's quite possible it's just your wireless router...it happens to me. It happens with wireless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tha_con said:
If you have a problem with it dropping, and you have a wireless connection, it's quite possible it's just your wireless router...it happens to me. It happens with wireless.

im not hooked up wirelessly... my wifes computer upstairs is tho... thats why i have the wireless router
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,058 Posts
TSXmike said:
im not hooked up wirelessly... my wifes computer upstairs is tho... thats why i have the wireless router
Ahh okay. Well then it's very likely that it is infact your modem. If it's prolonged outage, you might want to go to the cable modem itself, unplug it, plug it back in, wait for it to connect, and retry. If the connection doesn't re-establish with fresh properties, then call the cable company and have them test the strength of the signal the outlet is getting.

I know in my old house all of our cable connections got weak signals and it was difficult to maintain a good strength and speed, even though I was paying for the 4/Mbps package, I was only getting about 2.5/Mbps. Check it out. hope the best for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tha_con said:
Ahh okay. Well then it's very likely that it is infact your modem. If it's prolonged outage, you might want to go to the cable modem itself, unplug it, plug it back in, wait for it to connect, and retry. If the connection doesn't re-establish with fresh properties, then call the cable company and have them test the strength of the signal the outlet is getting.

I know in my old house all of our cable connections got weak signals and it was difficult to maintain a good strength and speed, even though I was paying for the 4/Mbps package, I was only getting about 2.5/Mbps. Check it out. hope the best for you.

its not a prolonged outage... happened 3 times each lasting maybe 3 minutes at the most and the first to outages were in about 15 minutes of eachother... the last outage happened about 30 seconds after the 2nd outage started comming back (sorry if thats confusing)

i dont think it would have anything to do with our house... weve had this setup for 2 months and this is the first time ive had a problem with my cable internet... b4 this happened... i had not one problem with it...

but another thing comes to mind... i know my cable boxes (2 of em) were on at the time... could maybe that interfear with my connection if lets say they were updating the firmware on the boxes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
So let me get this correct, your cable internet dropped 3 times in 1 night?

If that’s the case its not a big deal, now if it was nightly then bitch about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rev ATARI said:
So let me get this correct, your cable internet dropped 3 times in 1 night?

If that’s the case its not a big deal, now if it was nightly then bitch about it

was a big deal to me... i was actually gaming with some friends lastnight that i havent gamed with since last year...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
Yes but still it’s not an issue, things happen and things don’t work 100% of the time. You don’t have a hardware issue and there is no read problem it was just a hiccup in the system.

Now I have been in Guam for a few weeks now and I had my cable installed before I got here “smart thinking” however when I got here my internet was all fucked to hell, during the day “when it worked” it was slower then dial-up and at night I got about ¼ of the speed I should have been getting. Now to me that’s an issue, a real issue not just some random outage that lasted for a bit. On top of all that it took a week of me calling them everyday, several times a day to get it fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rev ATARI said:
Now I have been in Guam for a few weeks now and I had my cable installed before I got here “smart thinking” however when I got here my internet was all fucked to hell, during the day “when it worked” it was slower then dial-up and at night I got about ¼ of the speed I should have been getting. Now to me that’s an issue, a real issue not just some random outage that lasted for a bit. On top of all that it took a week of me calling them everyday, several times a day to get it fixed.

now thats an issue...

guess i jus was havin a bad night...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
TSXmike said:
now thats an issue...

guess i jus was havin a bad night...
:) its all good kid, I’m not bitching at you. It’s just all the folks here where saying ah it could be this or that, when it’s nothing.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top