Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
what they taught me in my ccw class was that you can "transport" it in your car, regardless of state laws of each state you drive through, as long as it's legal to own a firearm in both the state you're departing from and the state you'll be arriving in.

as far as concealing it, having a ccw gives you the right to have it concealed and loaded on you, or anywhere in your house or car.

and like M4-tty showed, it can be in a case or holster. i keep my handgun in its case and leave it in the passenger seat. i store it with a loaded magazine but none in the chamber. that way, it's safer, but you can still shoot it if you pull it out and work the slide.

and regardless of the law, even if you follow the rules (technically), you might still want to play it extra safe just to save yourself some headache incase you get pulled over and just keep it in your glove box.

as far as the park, if the state you're visiting has reciprocity with your state's ccw, then you should just conceal it while you're at the park.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'd like to tack on that part of the FOPA states:

"One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time."

Therefor you CANNOT just leave it on the seat if you are traveling through a ban state. Be very careful because states like NJ and NY will do everything short of hanging you in the town square for violations.
well I definitely wouldn't especially driving through stupid states like CA or NY lol, stupid nazi gun control freaks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.