Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here in this forum..

I have to connect a 50 foot telephone cable to connect to the internet becasue the telephone outlet in the garage where my computer is does not work..

In addition to this.. i will be adding a new computer in my room.. so two computers need to share the same connections..

I'm going wireless.. so my questions are:

1 - How do i prevent or how likely am i to run into someone "stealing" my connection? And how do i avoid/block that problem?

2 - What brand of wireless router should i purchase? I'm going to Best Buy within the next 1 1/2 hour so i hope someone could help me there.. and if brand doesn't matter tell me that too

Thank you for your responses

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Most if not all wireless routers have an encryption option...just pick a password and the network will be encrypted and protected from unwanted intruders.

And for your purposes, a normal D-link will be fine.

JUST STAY AWAY FROM BELKIN! THEY ARE THE DEVIL!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gurusan said:
Most if not all wireless routers have an encryption option...just pick a password and the network will be encrypted and protected from unwanted intruders.

Thanks you

·
Registered
3 Posts
:) most secure way is to use mac address encrpytion, weach piece of hardware u buy has a mac address so only 2 of ur computer will be able to connect i have this on my 3 computers at home and i had never had no problems, also having a admin password or else someon will go in and block out of ur own connection :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
desertcivic90 said:
:) most secure way is to use mac address encrpytion, weach piece of hardware u buy has a mac address so only 2 of ur computer will be able to connect i have this on my 3 computers at home and i had never had no problems, also having a admin password or else someon will go in and block out of ur own connection :)
This is the exact method I'm using. Each computer has a MAC Address (sort of like an ID number--I think of it this way), and you can specifically choose to allow which MAC addresses to connect to the router. Other people would see it as "Wow, this is unsecure! I can connect/leech off!" WRONG--they lose :). If you're computer is not on the list, it won't allow you to connect. Also--yes, change the default admin password.

For example my neighbors had a Linksys router, since I'm all Linksys, I know the default address/admin passwords. Sometimes I leech, but not for too long... :ninja

As far as being more secure, I'm not sure if that's certainly true, but it works for me! :).

EDIT: Way off topic... Does anyone know what font is used on those USERBARS? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
desertcivic90 said:
Mac addresses can be stolen off of wireless communication in about 30 minutes of dedicated packet sniffing. So can Wep128. WPA and WPA2 are the only "secure" methods of securing a wireless network at this point. And even then... they can be broken.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
gurusan said:

my wireless doesnt have that. when i log on with my laptop and just click internet explorer.

wats the password? should i set mine? i live in a house. how far does the wireless connection work?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
my wireless doesnt have that. when i log on with my laptop and just click internet explorer.

wats the password? should i set mine? i live in a house. how far does the wireless connection work?
linksys supports wep/wpa encryption as well as mac address filtering.

I'm using an apple airport extreme and airport express for my wireless. Will be installing a d-link 524 or 542 at a friends place in a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts