Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says....
I have a Canon Digital Rebal Xt. And of course the standard lense 18-55 that you can purchase with the camera.
I want to know what would be a good next lense to buy especially for indoor shoots like the upcoming SEMA IAS show at Fort Washington. I know the lighting inside the convention center isn't excellent....so I just want to know your opinions. I'd also like to stay in the canon lense family.

I was considering buying the 70-200 f2.8 IS...I know it's expensive. But I'd have many outdoor opportunities to use it. But I don't think the focal length would be great for inside the convention center. Then again I'm open to any opinions you guys might have....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
primes with f/1.8 or lower would be ideal for indoors. but at sema, theres probably decent lighting so a lens with constant F2.8 should work as well.

canon has a new lens coming out .. 17-55mm F2.8 IS but thats gonna cost in the low $1000 though.

whats your price range?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm going to spend in the $1K's I'd like to have plenty of focal length at the moment.
How are the fixed focal lengths with around f1.8 for car shows?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
prime lens will often times gives you the sharpest pictures. but its limitations is the fixed focal lengths. the popular ones are the 50mm and 85mm, theres also the 35mm f/2 one. but with those, you would have to take a few steps back to get the whole car in the picture and with alot of ppl around, that'll be tough.

best buy would probably be trying to find a zoom lens with f2.8 constant. like:
tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (i have this on my XT, takes great pictures .. only downside to it is that its not as wide)
sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 (comparable to the tamron, though some will say its not as good but not that big of a difference and its a little bit wider)
sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (similar to kit lens but much better quality and 2.8 constant. just came out)
canon 24-70L f/2.8 (one of the more popular canon lens but costly .. about 1K)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I would go with the 18-55 that you already have if it has a constant appature of 2.8 i dont know anything about cannon lenses so I dont know what it has. For a car show you are going to want a lens that is a little short of normal. You need to be able to be close to the subject so people will not walk in front of you. Also a lens with a wide oppening is great because it collects more avaliable light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts