Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 1991 CRX HF. I really like the car as well as the efficiency of the HF trim but I found this on MSN:

A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Radiator Fan Switch and an occasional problem is failure of the Engine Control Unit (ECU).The cost to repair the Radiator Fan Switch is estimated at $32.00 for parts and $52.00 for labor.The cost to repair the ECU is estimated at $588.00 for parts and $45.50 for labor.This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $200-$350 parts and labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Are these things going to be problems? I'm a student and don't have a lot of money for repairs. I'm mainly worried about the ECU, but also the Radiator fan switch scares me 'cause my last car overheated and blew a head gasket. Any input would be appriciated.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Ok dude, you can get a spare PM6 ECU for like $20-$40 on EBay or on recycler.com and all you have to so is unplug the old one and plug in the new ECU. It is SOOOOOOOOO easy, my 4 yr old daughter could do it. And I have never heard of an ECU just "going out". This is not something that is common at alllll! As far as the radiator situation that is a very easy fix as well........

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never heard of those problems being prevalent in any CRX's. They are dependable little cars if you take care of them. One thing I would recommend to do if you get one is to get a Helm's manual which will save you costly repair prices such as $65/hour and use sites like these and ebay to save you cheese on ECU's ($588 OMG). And make sure to read read read - inform yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HF are great cruising rides.

I was getting 40 mpg when I had that engine.

Absolutely no hope for performance tuning, do not get a loud exhaust. It will not help, it will just be loud, and the car has no sound deadening so you'll hear it inside.

ECu for the HF, I never heard of this, but I'm sure peeps will just give you their HF ECU if they have already swapped to another engine. And putting in a PM6 (si) ECu is not just plug and play, hf has a shift up light, and someother doodads that Si ecu will not be happy with.

AC... have the system evacuated, then fill it with R134A freon from the autoparts store. if you d the work yourself, and pay close attention to directions, it shouldn't cost that much. I think it's like $40 for a total retrofit kit, which includes freon and oil plus everything you'll need to charge the system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
About the AC...

Have it evacuated like HF said. I'd pressurize it too to make sure that there are no leaks. WalMart sell an R-134a conversion kit which contains 3 lbs of R-134a refrigerant, sprecial oil, can tap, hose, and also adapters to fit and convert old R-12 systems. The oil supplied is used to “convert” R-12 oil into something that is compatible with R-134a. The tubes the oil comes in are specially designed to allow you to inject the oil into the system. You then mount the adapters onto the old fittings and follow instructions.

i found this info on teh intraweb

·
Registered
49 Posts
njn63 said:
It's a fuel economy light, not a shift light.

But i agree, a Si ecu might plug in and limp the car around, but deffinatly isn't the right ecu for the car. Plus, the HF ecu will be cheaper and easier to get i'd think...
It's a shift up light. That's what they have written in my manual, The green arrow tells you to shift to stay in the optimum gas mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you everyone: stjohnscrx, DeathIsCertain, Dub N Rex, jmed, mikerock, njn63, gurusan, egvtec, HFhybrid, and civic1784. I appriciate your comments. So pretty much, the consensus is that MSN is totally highballing me on this, which is fine. One more thing:

Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Igniter and the Main Relay, and an occasional problem is failure of the Fuel Injectors (Throttle Body Fuel Injection only). Failure of the Igniter or the Main Relay will prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Igniter is estimated at $82.00 each for parts and $45.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Main Relay is estimated at $48.00 for parts and $45.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors is estimated at $88.00 each for parts (total of 2) and $45.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
What do you think??? MSN also lumped the CRX in as a Civic trim, which I guess is somewhat correct, but maybe some of these issues are isolated to the civics and not the CRXs??? :ahh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.