Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok the local shop here told me 4100 for the complete swap fro a b16a 1st gen obd0 instaled is this a good price this is everthing good to goo all i need is gas to drive it with is wat he said

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea but i can change to obd1 later i am geting the motor for a present so i cant get one that is to much yea i have a dx crx with the dpfi so i would have to wire up the mpfi and then everthng else to so i realy would just rather have it put in buy a shop so it will be finde to drive right off

·
Registered
28 Posts
am i the only one that thinks this kid is getting ripped off?

you can get complete swaps for 1200ish
mounts: 100-300
90-93 integra rear motor mount: free - $10
if you have an hf or si you can get a vtec subharness from rywire for like 60
if you have a dx its like 200 to convert to multi point fuel injection

so $1300 - $1800 for parts
install should be $800 at the most
most shops around here charge $500-$600 labor to do a swap

I say look around for a swap and mounts from someone and buy some tools and learn to do it yourself. It really isn't hard. You can usually find someone off one of the various Honda forums to help you out. If you have any questions pm me

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yes he is gettign ripped off

order an odb1 b16 at hmotorsonline.com...its 200 more than the obd0 and well worth it for later additions considering to convert it u'll pay mor ethan teh 200 initially

like stated i would find another shop...or get 2-3 friends and do it urself

i knwo when i do a swap after i get a car it definitly isnt goign to be a shop doing it. i'd rather save that 4g ur gettign ripped off with spend 2 at most on the b16 and everythign and call it a day

its nto hard to unbolt teh old motor, and put teh oteh rone in...and if u buy from rywire the wiring is easy as pie

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
only proble with doing the swap my self i dont have all the tools i would need and i dont have the time to do it and u sould still have to add shipping on all that and i have a dx and rywire has to have u stock harnest with the b16 to wire it up i dont have a way to get where i have to be will it is geting done and at the shop where i am geting it put in at i will have my car back in a week and good to drive

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
atleast offer the shop less $. tell them youre on a tight budget. which you are, right? man at our shop, we make a shitload off of labor. and a decent bit off of parts. the shop has plenty of room to lower the price. i mean if its a reputable shop and you know theyll do it right the first time and not fuck anything up, it could be worth it to spend the extra $. just dont tell them you can have it done cheaper somewhere else and try to make them give you a deal. cause then theyll just say go somewhere else.

and if they dont take your lower offer, you still have the option for 4100. just shop around. if youre getting the motor as a present, then 4100 for labor is an assload. the local *performance* shop here would swap a b16 for 2500 in only labor. i checked lol.

the only other advice i have is to appropriate a little extra $ for any unexpected expenses the shop may encounter. that miscellaneous shit tends to happen. good luck.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
91crxdx said:
no that is the hole price with the motor and tranny instaled in my crx and ready to go for 4100 if it was just for labor i would do that shit myself
if someone is willing to pay 4100 for u then tell them to buy the engein and teh tools and save them 2g

·
Registered
783 Posts
hondapride59 said:
yes he is gettign ripped off

order an odb1 b16 at hmotorsonline.com...its 200 more than the obd0 and well worth it for later additions considering to convert it u'll pay mor ethan teh 200 initially

like stated i would find another shop...or get 2-3 friends and do it urself

i knwo when i do a swap after i get a car it definitly isnt goign to be a shop doing it. i'd rather save that 4g ur gettign ripped off with spend 2 at most on the b16 and everythign and call it a day

its nto hard to unbolt teh old motor, and put teh oteh rone in...and if u buy from rywire the wiring is easy as pie
exactly why i didnt understand why he would get obd0 instead of obd1.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If You get the OBD1 motor from a Teg XSi (which already comes with the cable tranny too) Then you need to:

1. Take your old motor out and prep the engine bay for the new motor (i.e. beat the dents required.)

2. Put the dx harness on the b16 and put it in the car.

3. Do the MPFI conversion. (if you are not comfortable wiring then pay someone to do this part, but you will save a ton putting the motor in yourself)

4. Do the OBD1 conversion.

5. Drive it.

this is obviously a simplified list, but i cant write a complete how to here, and i cant ever find the good how toos real quickly so its a run down of what needs to be done, plus you will need to modify some stuff to get this thing to work.

there are plenty more parts to get when doing this swap. Some things you will need are:

from a 94 del sol vtec, (all of these are not nessecary but good to do with the motor out of the car)
Front and rear crank seal, timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, valvecover gasket, exhaust cam seal(you can get a machined piece for this) Spark plugs and wires and distributor cap. I also think you can use the alt belt from the del sol too.

from a 92 teg gsr
radiator hoses
axles (can come from any 90-93 manual teg)
throttle cable (same as axles)
clutch cable(or you can mod your currnet cable as well)
clutch
if your motor doesnt come with an intermediate shaft (mine did) then you need one of those too.

from aftermarket:
Shift linkage
Motor mounts
Obd1 conversion harness (i use frogenginecontrols.com harnesses)

When i did my swap on my 88 si this is around what it cost me:

motor - 1250 and i picked it up
Harness - 110
Shift linkage - 100
Mounts - 300
Axles - 50 from junkyard (i got the hookup, cause i got a whole teg brake conversion included too)
Clutch - 170
All stuff from honda - 300
All stuff from acura - 150
Misc stuff from around - 200

Total - 2630
Pics:

This was my first obd1 conversion...I also Converted a P06 from auto to manual and non vtec to vtec, and socketed it myself. So i saved money here that most people have to spend on a p30.

I Sold my crx for 2800 freshly painted, so the guy got a great deal as far as im concerned. BTW: it ran [email protected] in the 1/4 with I/H/E if you are wondering about 1/4 mile times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.