Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've got a problem with my car, it's a '96 Civic Hatch with a '97 Integra GSR drivetrain.
Now the problem is...... my speedometer dosen't work, my kilometer thing dosen't work, the motor idles at 1,400rpm at normal temp and VTEC does not kick in at all.

Mind you yesterday everything was perfectly fine, i parked the car in my garage and this morning this was the surprise i got.

Now, i checked my oil and it's fine, i was a little low on prestone but i filled it up, but it's still the same.

Please help me out guys!!

*EDIT* On my way home tonight, i realized my interior lights were pretty dimmed, so i check my dimmer and it's on high, 2 min later my RPM gauge drops to zero, so now no gauges are working at all, nor is VTEC workign either, so anyway, i'm coming to a stop and the car'sd RPMs are dropping way to low so i blew all the stops(2) until my house, i stop in front and the car was idling at about 300rpm maybe less, and my dash lights were almost off. I shut off the car, tried strarting it again and nothing, all i get is a ticking noise.

Sounds to me that's it's the alternator, but that dosen't explain why the gauges wouldn't work or even why VTEC wouldn't kick in at all.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
if the alternator is out you get all kindns of weird issues since you have really low current and voltage. at 6 volts most things in my car will not come on except the lights dimly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
alternator

i would say that yes its your alternator or a bad ground perhaps but when u get the prob fixed by bet is that everything will work just the way its supposed to. everything goes all to hell when the alternator isnt creating enough juice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed my alternator and nothing, the car is still acting the same, nothing changed.

What else can the problem be???? It seems as though the car isn't running off the alternator and it's running of the battery even though the alternator is good.
And also the battery is good too because it was changed last febuary

I'm thinking that maybe my speedo and VTEC aren't working because the car dosen't have enough juice to make them work, but where would the problem be if it's not the alternator??

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
ruffryder007 said:
Hey guys, i've got a problem with my car, it's a '96 Civic Hatch with a '97 Integra GSR drivetrain.
Now the problem is...... my speedometer dosen't work, my kilometer thing dosen't work, the motor idles at 1,400rpm at normal temp and VTEC does not kick in at all.

Mind you yesterday everything was perfectly fine, i parked the car in my garage and this morning this was the surprise i got.

Now, i checked my oil and it's fine, i was a little low on prestone but i filled it up, but it's still the same.

Please help me out guys!!

*EDIT* On my way home tonight, i realized my interior lights were pretty dimmed, so i check my dimmer and it's on high, 2 min later my RPM gauge drops to zero, so now no gauges are working at all, nor is VTEC workign either, so anyway, i'm coming to a stop and the car'sd RPMs are dropping way to low so i blew all the stops(2) until my house, i stop in front and the car was idling at about 300rpm maybe less, and my dash lights were almost off. I shut off the car, tried strarting it again and nothing, all i get is a ticking noise.

Sounds to me that's it's the alternator, but that dosen't explain why the gauges wouldn't work or even why VTEC wouldn't kick in at all.
did this all of a sudden happen? vtec is probraly the least of your worrys right now. did u just get the swap? check and see if your chargin system is even working? charge the battery and try it agian. maybe your alternator went bad and used up the power in ur battery. see if your battery is charging and see if the battery is good still

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Got a Problem with my B18c1...help!!!!

asianpride559 said:
did this all of a sudden happen? vtec is probraly the least of your worrys right now. did u just get the swap? check and see if your chargin system is even working? charge the battery and try it agian. maybe your alternator went bad and used up the power in ur battery. see if your battery is charging and see if the battery is good still
Yup, it all happened at once, the swap was done 2 years ago so i know that's not the problem, and i just changed my alternator for a new one today cuz i thought that was the problem, but after a quick spin around the block i came back home, shut the car off and tried starting it 5 min later and nothing, it cranked for a second and died. So i know for a fact that the alternator is good, but the car is still running off the battery for some weird reason.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Got a Problem with my B18c1...help!!!!

ruffryder007 said:
Yup, it all happened at once, the swap was done 2 years ago so i know that's not the problem, and i just changed my alternator for a new one today cuz i thought that was the problem, but after a quick spin around the block i came back home, shut the car off and tried starting it 5 min later and nothing, it cranked for a second and died. So i know for a fact that the alternator is good, but the car is still running off the battery for some weird reason.
check you wire to the alternator i had a problem along time ao with mine and i thought it was the battery and the alternator but it ended up being the conections on the alternator wasnt tighten down. but i have a feeling your battery might be fucked up. have that checked.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
is the power dead completely with no power and lights?

·
Registered
212 Posts
dats strange.

uhmmm, ya check all your grounds and definatly get you batt tested, just cuz it aint old dont mean it work. so get that tested. if th

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Re: dats strange.

95civhb said:
uhmmm, ya check all your grounds and definatly get you batt tested, just cuz it aint old dont mean it work. so get that tested. if th
i was gona sk him if he has no power at all. try checking his battery fuse.

·
Registered
212 Posts
thats funny cont

sorry bout that. ya so get your battery tested and if thats fine get someone to check the current from your alternator at a local shop. it should be about 13 or 13.5.but if thats not it i dont know. i cant c anything running overly hard enough to completely drain the current from a new alternator. thats really strange.uhmmmmm, what else, ya just check your cables at your battery, make sure the posts are good and clean, and check your engine ground cable where it comes up to the rad support. but other than that im out of ideas dude.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Re: thats funny cont

95civhb said:
sorry bout that. ya so get your battery tested and if thats fine get someone to check the current from your alternator at a local shop. it should be about 13 or 13.5.but if thats not it i dont know. i cant c anything running overly hard enough to completely drain the current from a new alternator. thats really strange.uhmmmmm, what else, ya just check your cables at your battery, make sure the posts are good and clean, and check your engine ground cable where it comes up to the rad support. but other than that im out of ideas dude.
dats what i was telling him to go and see if the battery is even charging. maybe he left already cuz he hasnt replied for a while. i have a feeling its his battery(connections, terminals, or even his fuse blew)

did he ever test his old alternator to see if it was even bad?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
asianpride559 said:
is the power dead completely with no power and lights?
Let's say i'll be driving for 5-10 min my lights will dim to almost closed and the car will die out, if i try starting it right away after that it won't start, but if i wait 1 hour and try again, it will start.

And no i didn't check to see if my old alternator was working since most people were telling me it should be the alternator and i thought the same thing too. I'm still gonna try to get a refund though cuz it costed me 150$.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: thats funny cont

95civhb said:
...and check your engine ground cable where it comes up to the rad support...
Unfortunatly, i don't know why, but i never had a ground cable that goes from my valve cover to the rad support, if i'm not mistaken the guy who did the swap put the ground in the back somewhere, i should check that out and see if it's fine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
ruffryder007, check the alternator/speed sensor fuse under your dash in the car, i almost guarantee you that is the problem, I had those exact same symptoms in my car and that was the problem, your alternator went out, blew that fuse and you only fixed the alternator. Thats why its acting like changing the alternator didnt help. But it was the alternator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sounded like your alternator not working properly cause. you are using your battery power while you operating your car instead of your alternator power output. check all your grounds. 1 at the valve cover, 2 at the transny, 3 at near the thermostat housing. try this test too,but first be sure that you have a good battery. then try this test. if you can start your car, let it idle then remove the negative batery cable and see if your car will idle or not. if not then alternator is your problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts