Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow 'Speed Freaks',

I'm needing a little advice about converting my current Lotus (Rover engine) platform to Honda K20 Type R.

As many of you may already know, Lotus Elise S1 (Series 1) is a British built, superb handling light-weight sports car with a questionable power plant. Not to be confused with the S2 Toyota-based Elise made to U.S. Fed DOT standards. This is the original Sport 190 racer imported from the UK (1 of 14).

Enough history... our friends across the pond have developed some pre-engineered conversion kits that transform the relatively docile Rover engines (i.e. Range Rover) to Honda power plants that are kicking butt on most of the European race circuits.

Specifically, the kits are designed to adapt the K20A2 Type R (from European Civic's), the 6 speed gearbox, axles, etc. into the Elise, boosting the HP to around 220HP with much more reliability than the Rover (prone to blowing up a lot if you like that sort of thing).

Many have added the Jackson Racing Supercharger and are getting 320HP. Add the DC5 Integra manifold and that gets them upwards of 330HP.

As I plan my conversion to the new Honda platform, it makes sense to go with the time-tested pre-engineered kits, so I need to source an engine, gb, etc. I know nothing about Honda's right now... so hopefully I came to the right crowd.

What Honda's carry the Type R? What should I ask for at the local salvage yards? Is that the best place to get one (hopefully under 15k miles)?

Second, where can one get the S/C? Is that the best way to go?

Thoughts?? Comments?? Suggestions? I do know that I'll want to hook-up with a local Honda tuner to help me once I get there, but I'm planning and budgeting right now for a next winter conversion (cuz track season starts in a few weeks).

Ken

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a video of one installed. Me likey!! Me wants!

Please note the exhaust manifold gets warm. The also sell an optional stainless steel grate for trackside burgers.

· Registered
624 Posts
the civic type r is not sold in the US, and never has been. you'd be extremely hard-pressed to find an engine in a junk yard. the integra type r was sold by acura in the late 90s, but as such, you'd have an equally hard time finding one of those in a junk yard with a respectable motor inside of it. it is also not what you are looking for, as the k-series hadn't been developed yet (b-series in the integra type r.)

you'll have to look into having the engine imported into the US. there are a number of websites that specialize in selling engines pulled from (mainly) japanese vehicles. because of strict emissions standards and insane maintenance costs to meet said standards, a lot of cars in japan are only owned for a period of 2-to-5 years, and are typically pulled and sold with under 40,000 miles. i reckon a newer, lower-mileage civic type r engine would run you around $4500 - $5000. it's been quite a while since i've stopped following swap chatter, so i could be way off here.

an easier recommendation is to look for a K20Z3, out of the 6th generation civic si. while it harbors a different transmission with slightly closer gear ratios, it's still a six-speed k-series that boasts 197 HP and 139 ft/lb torque. it's an excellent platform for the comptech supercharger, who are offering a stage 2 upgrade sometime next month which reportedly delivers just over 300 WHP and 200 ft/lb torque. the trade-off is price -- while you definitely get what you pay for with any comptech product, expect to pay around $5000 for a stage 2 comptech supercharger.

that's about all i can help you with... here are a few more honda-related forums so you can expand your search and get some more input.

8thCivic.com - 8th Generation Civics
Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the pre-engineered Lotus-to-Honda kits are specifically designed for the K20A2 Type R, that's the engine/trans I'll need.

After some research, that engine is from the 2002-2004 Acura Integra Type S model distributed in the US... as well as the Honda Type R in Europe.

Same engine... same trans. Slightly less compression than the K20A JDM Type R, but pretty much the same engine (different Cams, etc.).

Thanks.

KM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.