Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if theres a way to make your own wall mount? I just got a 42" plasma and what to put it on the wall, but after the 3K i just spent on the tv, the extra $250 seems like a kick in the rear to me. wondering if i have any alternatives to do it myself.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
unless you want to cut a hole in your wall and stick the plasma in there you have to buy the plate.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blazin Civic said:
Dude you really want to risk your 3k tv on some cheap home made wall mount? You already spent 3k just do it right.
that's why i didn't go buy a 2x6 and screw it into the tv & wall :rolleyes

fucking christ, i work on my car which cost $10,000, doees that make me retarded too?

I was simply wondering if there were instructions to make a mount out of steel yourself, as opposed to spending another $150+ dollars on a store bought one.

As soon as the one i bought arrives, i'll be making the next mount myself.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
that's why i didn't go buy a 2x6 and screw it into the tv & wall :rolleyes

fucking christ, i work on my car which cost $10,000, doees that make me retarded too?
Mounting the tv yourself using a proper mount would be the same as working on your own car using quality parts. You are doing the same thing as working on your $10,000 car and doing a DIY "CAI" using dryer ducts. So yes you are retarded if you work on your $10,000 car the same way you want to mount your $3,000 tv. Don't take this as a flame but constructive criticism.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blazin Civic said:
Mounting the tv yourself using a proper mount would be the same as working on your own car using quality parts. You are doing the same thing as working on your $10,000 car and doing a DIY "CAI" using dryer ducts. So yes you are retarded if you work on your $10,000 car the same way you want to mount your $3,000 tv. Don't take this as a flame but constructive criticism.
i'm not taking it as a flame

but...

using proper gauge steel and proper bolts would be just as effective as purchasing a mount imo... seem like it wouldn't be any different that making your own cai/sri out of jcwhitney mandrel bent tubing, not dryer ducting that you referred to.

I'm not trying to "rice" my house :lmao

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I see your point...i'm just saying whats another $250 to do it right when you already spent a good chunk of change. I am sure the store bought mount will offer you more options than a very basic DIY mount. Most pre fabbed ones can swivel and such.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Take a look at this flat-screen wall-mount instruction. http://www.ergoindemand.com/PDFs/SF660P_SF660PS.pdf

You'll need a part that mounts to the wall. A part(s) that mounts to the TV that will connect to the part on the wall. To make two separate parts that will lock together will be the difficult part of this do-it-yourself job.

You can come up with anything as long as you screw the mount to wall studs and use materials that will hold your TV securely. I would suggest going to Wal*mart and buying a pre-fabricated one.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blazin Civic said:
I see your point...i'm just saying whats another $250 to do it right when you already spent a good chunk of change. I am sure the store bought mount will offer you more options than a very basic DIY mount. Most pre fabbed ones can swivel and such.
yea, instead of getting the tilt one from circuit city, i got a Peerless tilt mount from tigerdirect.com ... it arrives today. was just about $120 which i could swallow easier than $250. for the tv we are going to put in our bedroom though, I think i'm just going to flat mount it to the wall, so really all i need for that is a square base which shouldnt be hard to fab at all when i take a look at the peerless unit.

and if i decide that's going to be too much work or not cost effective, i'll probably order just the flush mount from tigerdirect for $50.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I just replaced my computer crt monitors with lcd's this weekend and I wanted to mount them underneath this top shelf that my desk has. I went to ebay and tiger direct, but couldnt find any mounts that worked for less than $150, so I went to Ikea and got $2 shelf brackets, some bolts, and scrap wood and made my own. It looks a little ghetto from behind, but you can't see it and it's strong as hell:D

I hold 2 degrees in industrial design and it amazes me how expensive these little low tech pieces of steel can be, just because it holds up a $$$ piece of equipment... Seems like not much engineering and lots of psychology behind em. I spent a lot on this thing - therefore a pricey mounting sys will guarantee it's safety?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
phrancis said:
I just replaced my computer crt monitors with lcd's this weekend and I wanted to mount them underneath this top shelf that my desk has. I went to ebay and tiger direct, but couldnt find any mounts that worked for less than $150, so I went to Ikea and got $2 shelf brackets, some bolts, and scrap wood and made my own. It looks a little ghetto from behind, but you can't see it and it's strong as hell:D

I hold 2 degrees in industrial design and it amazes me how expensive these little low tech pieces of steel can be, just because it holds up a $$$ piece of equipment... Seems like not much engineering and lots of psychology behind em. I spent a lot on this thing - therefore a pricey mounting sys will guarantee it's safety?

and people pay it too. That's why they're so expensive, cause people willl pay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude you really want to risk your 3k tv on some cheap home made wall mount? You already spent 3k just do it right.

Dont listen to this guy! If you have the skill and resources, you can make your own heay duty mount, heres mine. Didnt cost me a cent. This ones for my 32" LCD. Made it from 14 gage MS, very solid

1 - 20 of 26 Posts