1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they're in. I'll give you a review in parts...this is what I got:

Crower 62403 camshafts
AEM Cam Gears (intake +2, exhaust -2)
Stock springs/retainers

Idle: not too bad, a little bumpy, and every now and then almost dies, but the computer saves it every time. Sorta gotta pay attention and keep the revs up, but at a 30 second stop light, it might significantly drop between 1-2 times. Traffic isn't too fun, but it's manageable.

Running rich: doesn't seem too bad, got a faint whiff a couple times of exhaust, but it doesn't seem too bad. Only time will tell.

MPG's: seem to have gone down a bit, of course I had my foot in it a lot...

Power: added good power. The low end seems the same, with the midrange improved some. It definitely pulls harder on the top end, but by how much I'm not sure. I'd like to get it to a dyno soon...

Miscellaneous: The car seems louder, but it's not a big deal.

Overall: I'm very happy with them so far. Driving takes a little more attention, but it's not too bad. I figure this puts me in the league of stock to slightly modded b18c's, which is pretty damn quick for a street car that is 12 years old.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
i'm thinking of changing up and doing an ls swap with some crower cams... what did the quality look like and what is your rev range? do you think on an ls motor i could increase the power band out to 8000 safely? or would the stock bottom end shit out on me? thanks man... peace...

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the cams for $300 brand new from the parts exchange on G2IC. Summit sells them new for $380. I got the gears for $168 from coximport.com and payed $150 for the install, but that included cutting the valve cover and replacing all the valve cover gaskets.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5gencivic said:
power band? what do you rev to? and how far do you think you can take the stock b18 internals?
The power band is improved up top, the Crower dyno shows good increases after 5.5k. I don't wanna take stock internals above the rev limit, the LS motor was not designed to rev that high.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
With valve springs and retainers (required with the 403 cams) you should be able to make 15-18 hp from 1000-8000+ RPM. This is according to crowers site.

Here is the dyno they have:

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
deMad10 said:
With valve springs and retainers (required with the 403 cams) you should be able to make 15-18 hp from 1000-8000+ RPM. This is according to crowers site.

Here is the dyno they have:

Actually, there are varying schools of thought on whether or not you need valve springs if keeping the stock rev limit. I talked to a Crower rep on the phone and he said I could "probably get away" with stock springs. I also talked to many respected tuners and they all said stock springs should be fine. You definitely DO NOT need retainers if keeping your stock rev limit.

· Registered
73 Posts
Anybody about to buy cams, springs and retainers for LS

I have a set of Crower cams p/n 62403 brand new in the box for sale... The original price was $396.00 straight from Crower. I'll sell them for $300 plus shipping.. Im not going to be using them because Im selling my car to my brother.

I also have the Crower valvesprings and retainers p/n 84162 which were originally $324.00 straight from Crower. New in the box. I'll sell them for $250 plus shipping..

Let me know if you are interested..

[email protected]

I know this belongs another forum but I feel it may be helpful here..

· Registered
1,017 Posts
But why keep your stock rev limit when the cams will make power up to 8000+ RPM's?

· Registered
1,893 Posts
if you check out crower's dyno charts on the 403's it looks like power starts falling off at about 7500. the thing to do with cams is to dyno them out one time to establish a baseline as to what they can do... then set a rev limiter and determine what you need... usually it's better flow and more fuel.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
5gencivic said:
if you check out crower's dyno charts on the 403's it looks like power starts falling off at about 7500. the thing to do with cams is to dyno them out one time to establish a baseline as to what they can do... then set a rev limiter and determine what you need... usually it's better flow and more fuel.
I agree with you there. It looks like they are using the stock ECU.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, answering a couple of questions...

*Yes, I got both cams brand new for $300, they're usually about $400 though, I got a good deal.

deMad10, I wanna keep my stock rev limit because I don't want to rev my stock bottom end anything higher than it was designed to be revved: 6,800. I need this car to last for a couple years, I'm a poor college student....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.