Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok timing question...does cam timing have an effect when running n2o? like if my ignition timing is retarded say 2 deg and have my cam timing advanced 2 degs what would that do? im just curious...dont really know to much on how this works...any info would be much appreciated

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
wont do any harm...on my single cam i had the ignition timing retarted 2 degrees and the cam timing was advanced 4 degrees

· Registered
20,271 Posts
cam timing does matter. on mine we have 1.5 degrees retard on my sprocket and 1 degree advance on my distributor. someone here back then did a post about timing issues. cam timings does affect ignition timing. cuz every degree on the cam timing is 2 degrees on the ignition. so therefore when we retarded the cam brought our ignition timing to 3 degrees retard and we advanced the ignition one degree setting the timing to 2 degrees retard.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Didnt have any effect on my ride.....maybe we retarted it more after we advanced the cam gear

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
I dont even remember...that was 3 motors ago..i bet we did though....ran fine until I spun a rod bearing.. :D

· Registered
20,271 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
I dont even remember...that was 3 motors ago..i bet we did though....ran fine until I spun a rod bearing.. :D
how many motors u blown? i want my motor to last. i been squeezeing bout 3 months. some advice on dat for me?

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
4th motor, 2nd tranny, 3rd clutch

single cam spun a rod bearing..it was mildly built, headwork only..the block couldnt hold nitrous and 8000 rpm runs anymore, first b16 got over revved to 10,000. :mad: that sucked, it sucked a valve and put two holes in #2 cylinder piston and cracked the #4 cylinder sleeve all the way down. second b16 blew because the shop that first installed my nos dicked me and got it running sumhow without a jet....needless to say, sumthing happened, dunno what, but it decided to spray between 150-200 shot of nos and leaned out, detonated, blew the porclean off the plugs, and put a BIG hole in a piston, and that was all she wrote...I have now found a shop who does things right...the ones who did my swap, and have had no problems since...they are great
if u lve in the la area check em out...Hook-ups Import Tek..great work, clean swaps, no B.S!!!

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
didnt even answer you question fully...my advice, make sure its done right...only go to shops that are highly recommended...ask questions and find out whos reputation is best..dont always go for the best price, but go for who will do it right the first time. Find otehr people who have had work done by the shops and look for yourself, but if the person whos stuff u look at is close with the shop, then that isnt always the best resource..My homie got his swap and nos done at the shop who dicked me...so confirm with a lot of other people

· Registered
432 Posts
A nitrous/fuel mixture increases the burn rate in the cylinder, and typically adding a few degrees of timing retard is recommended for safety. A rule of thumb is two degrees per 50hp of nitrous, but this will also reduce the power generated. When I tune my system, I monitor engine knock, and retard the timing only enough to eliminate the knock, which is usually about one degree per 50hp. At the track, under harder conditions (actually pulling the weight of the car, possibly higher outdoor temperatures, etc) I'll add a degree of cam retard.

· Registered
432 Posts
asianpride559:those of u squeezing on a d16 motor. how long are they lasting you guys?
1 year and counting.

· Registered
432 Posts
75 last time. I sold the NOS kit, and I'm buying the venom. I need to squeeze 200 shot, that's what the motor's built for. I ran 75shot dry system for 10 or 11 months. Filled the bottle prolly once a month. But I might even go with wet.

The only problem with zex and venom, is there's no more button. They say it's BETTER because "while the other driver is searching for their button, you've already won" BULL$hit, who doesn't know exactly where they installed it.... Anyway, I don't like the TPS stuff, and from what little info I got from the manufacturers, there's no way around it.

· Registered
432 Posts
I just wanna add... screw computer control. I want to tune it myself. Besides, all the gauges look cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.