Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5:06 pm CST. Spun a bearing in 3/2. babied it home, while keeping it under 4k.. anything above 4k let out a loud notice of the God awful sound of rod knock..

I'm unplugging sensors, taking off things as we speak.. I'll be drainning oil, coolent and dropping the pan tomorrow.. I'll have break down pics, before and after.. i'll show it all, should be a interesting thread.. to say the least.

As it stands..right now, and most of you know my setup
keep in mind people this is a stock 99 usdm bottem end that gave out on me after 5 years of pure abuse..
13.3 at 107mph street tires
217whp

new setup your asking yourself..
well.. i'll go ahead and spoil it for you.. i expect this build to take around 3~5 weeks. so this thread will be updated..
New build:

1.9 liter stroked b18c5.
I'll be running a ls crank/ls rods, and probably going to go ahead and bore the stock sleeves to 82mm. Stock sleeves have been known to handle 84mm, and honda recommends no larger then 83mm on stock sleeves i should be fine.

I'll be running the same head i have now which is a gsr head fully built, with pro2's.
the EST CR of the motor as it sat was around 12.1~.3 I'm hoping for 12.5+ CR this time.
I'll be running the same induction system i am now, plus the fact i'll be boring out my pX manifold from 66mm to 70mm to match my TB.. still a 3'' VSTACK setup from BPi.

I'll disclose the later information But we're hoping for 13.0's or 12.9's all motor on street tires before the juice..
No racing was done today.. I got on it early this morning just for shits. I always get on it when i haven't drove the car in a week.. i miss it, and it gave no problems... i started it up, let it warmup before i left for work and "was" going to bleep the throttle.. but i heard that noise you never wanna here..

Pics probably tonight or tomorrow.. since i'm banned from honda-tech and i dont like any of the local forums i'll be doing my build thread here.. stay tuned :)

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Damn, it was a head-scratcher how the hell that stock motor was staying together with the compression/revs/power you have in it, and knowing how you drive.

True testament to your building abilities, and more so your epic tuning.

Any thoughts of going with a forged bottom end to assure it will hold up forever at 10,000rpm levels?

You said "before the juice"...how big of a shot are you running on top of the build?

Are you going to be using any new tuning paraphernalia that you and your boys have come up with?

Any pics of the VSTACK/BPi? I've never seen one.

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, it was a head-scratcher how the hell that stock motor was staying together with the compression/revs/power you have in it, and knowing how you drive.

True testament to your building abilities, and more so your epic tuning.

Any thoughts of going with a forged bottom end to assure it will hold up forever at 10,000rpm levels?

You said "before the juice"...how big of a shot are you running on top of the build?

Are you going to be using any new tuning paraphernalia that you and your boys have come up with?

Any pics of the VSTACK/BPi? I've never seen one.
I will be dong 82mm on stock sleeves with forged pistons, I ordered some CP 12.5's today.
Rods are still undecided. I got my ls crank i'ma have it micropolished next weekend..
The car has seen the following shots 35,55,75,85,108.

75 and up were direct ports foggers.

The car died faster then i wanted.. I planned on stroking it AFTER i got done with the police academy, now i'm forced to put these plans in motion WAY before i wanted too, lucky, my wife and I work at the same place for the time being, so we only use one car. It sucks.. and alot of people have said that this infact a true statement of my tuning and building ablities..
the car has revved to 9100rpms since i've owned it and Tuned it. last year i installed the PRO2's and upped the rpms to 9800rpms. Its gone 9k+rpms with no misshifts for 4 years and 11 months. Its seen 6 different cam setups, 4 different induction setups including a ITB setup, Its gone through 4 exhaust systems 8 headers, countless oil changes and wire changes and 3 different trannies. I've gone through 3 sets of new tires with this car.

Stock ITR Blocks have been known to give out after about 6 years of PURE abuse.. this car wasn't driven everyday, but when it was, you bet your ass it worked for my love every rpm it climbed. I loved my bottem .. but i got a new plate made today

B19C5.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Interesting..The build..and the video...

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I raced a h22a4 hatch, gutted on slicks a week ago, this hatch ran a 13.2 at 100mph at the local IFO

i beat him by 3 cars..from a 20 punch, and he was pulling 1.7 60's

This car was a 12.9 or lower car all motor. For sure it should be a deadly car in a few weeks, i begin teardown this weekend, i'ma drain the fluids and shit starting tomorrow i'm waiting on a few things..

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, excellent.

8 fuckin headers :lol2

Which one was best?

Edit: Haha Marques, I watched that live.
Hytech of course, which is the one i have on..

We're going to start from scratch on this one with eCtune. From beginning to end. I'll be breaking it in my way and i'll have a video of that as well..

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

After 3 days of pure searching for the best parts, best prices.. i came across a ebay auction and i called these guys up over at

Real Street Performance - Performance with Integrity

Ended up working with these guys and I'm buying parts in a few hours

82mm Weisco pistons, Eagle Hbeam rods, and bearings

All for 750 bucks.

Tear begins at 6pm tonight.. Go me..

LS crank was just sent off to endye

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

Head is off, and disassembled

Inspected it, and it looked great.. however i'll be removing the manifold and TB sometime tomorrow.. as well as all the hoses and nick nack shit, hopefully i'll get the tranny removed sunday
and monday the block i'm done for tonight i'll have some pics tomorrow.

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*update*

got everything apart.

seems i spun all main bearings and 2/3 rod bearings are shot

too thin of a oil i was running it seems..

0-w40 i'll be switchingback to 10-w30 i'll post pics tomorrow of tear down.. cranks in awesome condition, the bearings are the things that went out.

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*sorry for the big pics, some are resized others aren't.*

Finally, it just started to rain so while i was cleaning up, i took a buttload of pics

i'll let them speak for themselves.

I attribute the mains / rod bearings being ate up because of using such a thin oil.. for the past 8 months i've been using 0w-40 mobil 1. I switched from 10w-30 because a few big tymers told me a heavier oil would cut down on some of the oil burning problems i was having..It did.. but the inition startups and stuff , it was just too water thin

Idle oil psi was 15~20 at 900rpms
crusing on the istate or regular driving was anywhere from 60~80psi
vtec to 9.5k was 90+psi

The psi was there, it just wasn't sticking.. some good pics, but the bearings are what went out, and i believe if i would have just stuck with 10w-30 i'd still be driving.. The specs and clearences on a b series motor were made for 10w-30..

anyway, i'll take somes of the new parts later. Enjoy.
Aside from too thin of a oil.. the motor is super clean, well taken care of, and if it wasn't for the bearings, probably would be still running.. i'm sure the rod bolts streched a tad, but the first pull of the oil pan, there was no movements on the rods.. non not even a slight movement.

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you can see how clean my motor is.. which is good.. but now its time for the fun part, hard / bad part is outta the way.

Reactions: CapnToll

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Nice pics. I like your storage bins lol. Looking forward to the catalogue of the new parts.

What's with the pattern on the piston side? Is that some kind of cross-hatching rub-off from the lower viscosity oil? What do the walls look like?

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice pics. I like your storage bins lol. Looking forward to the catalogue of the new parts.

What's with the pattern on the piston side? Is that some kind of cross-hatching rub-off from the lower viscosity oil? What do the walls look like?
walls are fine

i believe those are heat strech marks..

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.