Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gran Turismo 5 Coming in March Next Year

By Martyn Williams, IDG News Service - Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:30AM EDT

The latest installation in the hit "Gran Turismo" driving simulation series for the PlayStation 3 will be coming in the first quarter of next year, Sony announced Thursday at the Tokyo Game Show.

The game had been rumored to hit store shelves this year but won't be available until March 2010 in Japan, said Kazunori Yamauchi during a news conference. Launch dates for other markets were not announced and pricing was not discussed.

Despite giving fans a few more months to wait for the title, Yamauchi provided more information about the game that might make it worth the wait. The game will feature 950 cars including new hybrid and electric models and 20 driving locations. Other improvements will include simulated damage and movable objects on the race track.

Several different game-play modes will also be offered and it will be possible to export videos from the game to YouTube or capture 8-megapixel quality resolution images. The game will also deliver an online element including the Gran Turismo TV feature that was introduced in the previous edition.

· Registered
5,141 Posts
I've been keeping my eye out for this :ninja
Looks like it has win stamped all over it!! :w00tz

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Things I want to know (I did not play the $40.00 Demo, so sorry if I sound dumb).

Are:
Why did I only see team, rally, and Nas-cars? No showing of the regular car world... are there going to be regular cars?
Will they make it so that "adding a wing" and "changing the oil" are still the only visual modifications? I hope not...

Why is there a nascar mode?

Do you HAVE to play certain modes? Or will you live without touching a stock car turn left-a-thon or Nascar?

In the Rally races will I have the ability to win and then have my driver look at a female spectator, and go "hey baby, you look pretty car-d-bored, wanna go occupy that port-a-pody?" ?

· Registered
6,058 Posts
You should show more respect for Nascar. Seems like you don't know much about racing at all, besides styling a car.

To answer your questions, GT has always been about the cars, not the customization. They leave that to NFS and other FF clones. When was the last time you played a GT?

Granted, if you're looking for a Sim, there are far better games to look at, but GT will absolutely give you the best experience for visuals and car library, bar none.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
You should show more respect for Nascar. Seems like you don't know much about racing at all, besides styling a car.

To answer your questions, GT has always been about the cars, not the customization. They leave that to NFS and other FF clones. When was the last time you played a GT?

Granted, if you're looking for a Sim, there are far better games to look at, but GT will absolutely give you the best experience for visuals and car library, bar none.
Lets just say I hate "watching" Nascar, I'm sure it's fun as hell to drive, but watching 200 laps... I get excited only when someone crashes. I know a bit about draggin, that's where we play with out Caprice and Diplomat, but that's another story.

Are they still going to offer the "used car" thing like they did in a couple GT's where you didn't have to start out the game with a VW Beetle or a Mazda Miata? I think in GT3, that's all you could afford when you started out, but the used car thing was cool.

The reason I like car customization in a game is for when I'm mad at a race or bored for the moment, it gives me another reason to keep playing the game in that sitting, plus if you play a game online like Forza 2, having specific car details will set you apart. You could also make specific team Details that all the cars in your racing team would share. But that's just me. I like it, but I don't care if it's not in GT5, I'm still buying it.

Last time I played GT was about a week ago, I still pop GT4 into the PS3 and play a lot. I have all of them back to the original.

Are they going to have the used car thing again? I remember in GT3 you could only afford a couple cars, like the Beetle, and the Miata, but the used car deal they had in GT2 and 4 was a good idea, so you didn't have to do that.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't fret about it. If he'd read the article he would have known they're offering 950 cars in the game. Getting constipated over a trailer demonstrating a NASCAR tie-in when the final product is still about a 1/2 years away is is a bit of an overreaction no doubt.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Don't fret about it. If he'd read the article he would have known they're offering 950 cars in the game. Getting constipated over a trailer demonstrating a NASCAR tie-in when the final product is still about a 1/2 years away is is a bit of an overreaction no doubt.
950 cars, but not always the ones I want... I just can't immagine playing a Nascar mode, or Nascar game. I mean... just hold in R2 the whole time and turn slightly? Just doesn't seem fun to me, but that's just me.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Mmmmmm, can't wait.

NFS Shift is aiiight......but it's no Forza or GT5.

950 cars....there better be a non-Type-R Integra available :hehe

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Mmmmmm, can't wait.

NFS Shift is aiiight......but it's no Forza or GT5.

950 cars....there better be a non-Type-R Integra available :hehe
It seems like in GT4, all you could get was type R's. I want to start off with a complete garbage car Like a beater of some kind, like "dad's old Silverado" or something. They usually don't have enough "everyone's" car. It's always the civic Si, and not the Civic, ya know?

I still can't find a list of cars, everyone keeps saying there will be 11,000 cars, and they just name every car ever invented or something. I really want them to re-include the Element and include the Cr-v... I mean they had the Delorean and stuff. I also want it to not have cars you can't race. There were a few cars in GT4 you couldn't. I mean, the Motorwagon made sense with its 1hp, but you couldn't race the nike car, or the tank car, or the $500,000 Audi car, I forget what it was. That wasn't fair. I also want concept cars to be worth money to sell.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
It seems like in GT4, all you could get was type R's. I want to start off with a complete garbage car Like a beater of some kind, like "dad's old Silverado" or something. They usually don't have enough "everyone's" car. It's always the civic Si, and not the Civic, ya know?

I still can't find a list of cars, everyone keeps saying there will be 11,000 cars, and they just name every car ever invented or something. I really want them to re-include the Element and include the Cr-v... I mean they had the Delorean and stuff. I also want it to not have cars you can't race. There were a few cars in GT4 you couldn't. I mean, the Motorwagon made sense with its 1hp, but you couldn't race the nike car, or the tank car, or the $500,000 Audi car, I forget what it was. That wasn't fair. I also want concept cars to be worth money to sell.
haha, Yes!

I just had to keep playing that 2 car race over and over to get that off-road Toyota car as a prize and then sell it for $250k. That paid for my Audi R10 lol.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
haha, Yes!

I just had to keep playing that 2 car race over and over to get that off-road Toyota car as a prize and then sell it for $250k. That paid for my Audi R10 lol.
HOLY SHIT that's how I made money! I know you're talking about the Toyota car with the giant "Castrol" decals all over it. I remember it because I won it about 30 times, and sold it...There was an Audi that was way cool, and I bought it expecting to run it in the German touring races, but then it was a concept and wouldn't work. The only concept that ruled was the Mitsubishi (I think) with the two alerons on the back that moved when you turned (awesome) because it was modable. I don't think you were even able to sell the Cadillac Cien... even though it made it past concept... and the Silverado too. I liked the trucks as a change from GT3, but they only gave you the SSR, Toyota (tacoma?) , the Dodge Ram, and the Silverado concept. The Dodge Ram I spend tons of money on and had it way over the 1,000hp mark, and had really short gears on it, and it was still slow as hell. Pissed me off.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
Lets just say I hate "watching" Nascar, I'm sure it's fun as hell to drive, but watching 200 laps... I get excited only when someone crashes. I know a bit about draggin, that's where we play with out Caprice and Diplomat, but that's another story.

Are they still going to offer the "used car" thing like they did in a couple GT's where you didn't have to start out the game with a VW Beetle or a Mazda Miata? I think in GT3, that's all you could afford when you started out, but the used car thing was cool.

The reason I like car customization in a game is for when I'm mad at a race or bored for the moment, it gives me another reason to keep playing the game in that sitting, plus if you play a game online like Forza 2, having specific car details will set you apart. You could also make specific team Details that all the cars in your racing team would share. But that's just me. I like it, but I don't care if it's not in GT5, I'm still buying it.

Last time I played GT was about a week ago, I still pop GT4 into the PS3 and play a lot. I have all of them back to the original.

Are they going to have the used car thing again? I remember in GT3 you could only afford a couple cars, like the Beetle, and the Miata, but the used car deal they had in GT2 and 4 was a good idea, so you didn't have to do that.
I'll be the first to admit that watching Nascar is boring. I can't do it. But I have the utmost of respect for the sport and the drivers, left turns be damned, it's hard to do. The strategy involved in passing, letting someone get the takeover, and pitting is pretty intense, not to mention being inches away from someone at 200+mph on a highspeed turn...I couldn't do it.

I'm sure in GT5 it'll be just like previous GT's where you'll start out with a beater car and slowly work your way up the food chain to higher powered, better handling cars.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sure in GT5 it'll be just like previous GT's where you'll start out with a beater car and slowly work your way up the food chain to higher powered, better handling cars.
I just want more "beaters" ya know? I only had the option of the Miata or Beetle in GT3, but the used cars is where it's at. But even the used cars were decent cars. I managed to start out one career on GT4 with a Impreza and another with a Lancer. I always buy the 3000GT for rally events because of the 4 wheel drive and ability to rack it over 1,000hp.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
There are TONS of beaters in GT4 man, you must not be looking in the right places. Lots of 80's used cars, even some wagons and economy coups (fiats come to mind). Not all 700+ Cars in GT4 were super cars, in fact, the majority of them were just every day sedans and a few low class sports coups. I think GT5 will bring a lot of the same car selection to the table, a big variety of beaters and exotic cars.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yups. One of the big features of the GT series is the usage of the lesser priced cars. Not only in the license feature events, but also in the individual manufactor garages, the different category of races in each nation's section, etc.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I wonder if they brought back the "race mod" from the old GTs. That was the best shit, turning a 4door 93 civic into a touring car.

I doubt it.
I remember that. Where if you had done all the weight removing mods and such, it would allow you to turn it into a "race" car. I think I did that with all my generic station wagons.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.