Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well...since i'm awake i think i'll just write a review of my new SP2!! 8)

PRODUCT: Greddy SP2 Catback

APPLICATION: 1992-2000 Honda Civic Si/EX **CX/DX/HX/LX/VX PART# 10157011
**NOTE** In order for the catback to work on these vehicles, they must be equppied with either an aftermarket header or OEM where the cat is not part of the header. An example is a DX/CX header VS an EX/Si header. You must also have a catalyic converter or you'll have a huge gap! ALSO GREDDY DOES NOT HAVE AN APPLICATION FOR 6gen Hatchbacks, just buy one for a 92-95 Si/DX fitment is perfect!!

INSTALLATION:
Very simple! Jack up both ends of car(if possible) and use jackstands to support(be safe!!). Unbolt from header, then unbolt axleback, remove from rubber holders and BAM!! Should just drop out. Pull old exhaust out and put new one in.

TIME:
60-120 minutes

DIFFUCULTY:
2/5, If you know how to change your oil, you can do this.

REVIEW:
Well, after losing my WS exhuast due to a broken canister I was on the lookout for a new exhaust. The Greddy SP2 caught my eye because it was aggressive looking, fully stainless steel from b-pipe to muffler, and straight-through design. I purchased it from ebay and paid $500.00 for it($450 for exhaust and $50 shipping cost). I received it a week later and immediately installed it.

The packaging was nicely done! I've got to say that if you want to sell a nice product, you need a nice packaging layout too! Also included was a very nice "Greddy Exhaust System" emblem and registration forms and bolts and nuts and a new gasket. CAUTION Watchout for the gold staples...they HURT!!! 8(

Fitment was awesome! Everything bolted up correctly and exactly. I also installed a MagnaFlow Hi-Flo catalyic converter while installing the catback.

WOW!! I've got to give thumbs UP to Greddy(aka TRUST) for a well made exhaust system!! Although with my setup the exhaust was louder and raspier than expected(dc sport 4-2-1 headers w/ 2 1/4" magnaflow hi-flo cat), it's still much more quiet than other exhuasts out there. The sound is grunty, and deeper than the WS. The tip, I think, is a little big, 4" tip but i guess you learn to like it. If you'd like to hear it, my sig has a video clip! check it out!

As far as performance! WOW! My 97 HB is a daily driver, so i know my car when it's strong and when it's weak. The WHOLE powerband seemed shifted, i felt more low end power than before and my mid-top end is amazing especially after VTEC. I expect it to be of more help when i'm done with my new setup. y7 block w/ PM7 pistons, Y8 head w/ zex stg2 cam w/ vavlesprings, AEM cam gear.

I highly recommend this product for anyone who wishes to have a gruntier and deeper sound than the Apex-i WS, dont get me wrong...the WS is an amazing exhaust too!! Well i hope this helps!! My first ever review!! -mRek9R 8)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have been looking to get this for my hatch. I just want to double check before I buy. My 97 DX HB has all stock exhaust. So if I get the 92-95 HB one its going to fit with the stock cat and exhaust mani.? BTW did you take a look at the EVO2 before you decide on the SP2? What the diff. between the 2?

Thanks, I just want to make sure I have everthing right before I throw down $500 bucks.

Matt

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J.O.A.T said:
Thanks for the review. I have been looking to get this for my hatch. I just want to double check before I buy. My 97 DX HB has all stock exhaust. So if I get the 92-95 HB one its going to fit with the stock cat and exhaust mani.? BTW did you take a look at the EVO2 before you decide on the SP2? What the diff. between the 2?

Thanks, I just want to make sure I have everthing right before I throw down $500 bucks.

Matt
It won't work, you'll have a HUGE gap between the exhaust manifold and the catback piping. What you can do is buy either a hi-flo or reg. cat and stick it in there..(hey they say two heads are better than one....so two cats are better than one too then!! haha j/k) or get a test pipe. OR just find a stock OEM EX manifold and cat. Otherwise you're going to have to order the SP2 for the 5gen CX HB.

My uncle has the EVO2 on his EJ coupe, it didnt look bad; i just didnt like the sound. If you got any ?'s PM or reply!! 8)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speedjunky01 said:
well 4 years so far, no serius rust, hit a bump at 80mph insides fell apart but no dent :), Had to cut her open and reweld it, now it rattles a little but nothing bad, still sounds nice as ever.
awesome! i'm still rocking mine w no rust. Sounds even better on my boosted hatch! 8)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
well after 6 or so years of loyal service and 110k or so on it the new england winters have taken their tolls. I was on a curvy road pushing the car and runing it hard and all of a suden my car got REALLY loud. like AU MY EARS loud.

I slowed down and went home next morning I looked at the axle back and there was a little rust spot and hole. I poked it with my finger and it went through it. I had to trash the axle back but the mid section is in great shape.

so 110k and 6 new england winters seeps to be the lifespan of the SP2, thumbs up from me. I had to weld on a obx-r can and it sucks ass. after I turbo this whore ill have to get a whole new exhaust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do any of you guys have a video clip of it still? I clicked on your link and it didnt work.. I have a 95 civic ex SOHC VTEc and my friend has the same car with a magnaflow and thats a little to loud for me so how would you compare this to the evo 2 and magnaflow cat-back ..thanks.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
95civickicker said:
Do any of you guys have a video clip of it still? I clicked on your link and it didnt work.. I have a 95 civic ex SOHC VTEc and my friend has the same car with a magnaflow and thats a little to loud for me so how would you compare this to the evo 2 and magnaflow cat-back ..thanks.
hahah OMG I just found a bunch of old ass vids from when my car was first purchased, me and my bro went out and shoot a bunch of litle clips, just found them on my comp and spliced them together.

its on my 2000 civic EX just an intake and the catback...

man this was 2 years ago amn does time FLY like nothing...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/speedjunky01/?action=view&current=greddysp2review.flv

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
95civickicker said:
Sounds like at idle and take off oyu can hear it but when you stomp on it you hear the intake...Nice
lol sorry I didnt rant you exact wish :cool .

I dont really have any at dle but who cars what it sounds like at idle? I could care les its all about the up top and when your in it :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.