Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the Integra Greddy kit is 50th state
legal with the front mount intercooler and BOV?

Im guessing it aint, so how difficult is it to install/remove the
intercooler and BOV?

· Registered
220 Posts
i dont understand why you would want to spend that much money on a turbo kit and not get the full potential out of it... if your worried about legality then dont get a turbo.. b/c just b/c you buy a greddy it doesnt mean its legal unless its installed by an authorized greddy dealer... and those dealers rape you when they charge you for labor..... if i were you i would get a nos system with a sneaky pete bottle that way you can go fast and dont have to worry about cops...

· Registered
1,063 Posts
yeah, just go with a different kit and go faster... who cares about the cops... just dont do stuff to make them pull you over...

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bottles are for babies..

No offense but da bottle is not for me...

yeah, yeah,yeah, I know..

Turbocharging is the 2nd worstest thing next to NOS.

If there wasnt such a thing as a smog check here or in Hawaii
I'd go out and get a FMAX or a Rev Hard kit.

Anyhow, is there any way to pass a smog check with a aftermarket kit that is not designed to be enviromently friendly?

· Registered
220 Posts
You dont think about passing smog when you go forced induction.. the whole point to forced induction is to make your car faster... If you dont want tickets then dont fix up your car.... if you do decide to go turbo then i recommend rev hard.. good luck..

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Christ. Dont listen to them. You CAN get power AND be legal about it(which just happens to be alot easier come smog time). Although sometimes you do have to be sneaky about it.
Just make sure the kit actually has a CARB E.O. number. I went looking and found it atwholesalehyperformance , but its for the non I/C kit.

Also, having Greddy install it wont make anything legal, no matter what.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest and 1 being the easiest, I give removing the I/C and BOV a 2.

· Registered
362 Posts
why??? you going to waste all that money and go slower than a car with drag or rev that spent the same amount of money. just dont make any sense. go drag man!! or REV!!! if you worry about smog pay those motherfuckers off. say,"i know my shit aint gonna past smog....HOW MUCH YOU WANT???" simple as that!!
SHIT!!

· Registered
220 Posts
"pita106sg" is right and a lot of other people will agree.. dont waste money just b/c you want to go fast now... when you go fast now you will want to go faster and faster and you wont be able to do that with a greddy kit... good luck..

· Registered
2,120 Posts
i agree on getting a drag or revhard kit.....

· Registered
320 Posts
Ok, here you go:

The reason the GReddy kit is legal is because it has aquired a C.A.R.B. number. The California Air Resources Board does not issue numbers to everyone...except those who have the time and money to get one. In reality, the GReddy turbo kit itself does not pollute any more or less than any other kit...they just spent the time and money to get the number. As soon as you put a blow off valve on it, you have voided that number.

Now, does this mean that your car will pass the sniffer test when you go for a smog check? Absolutely not. That C.A.R.B. number applies to BONE STOCK cars, with the bolt on turbo kit, and NOTHING ELSE. If you have an exhaust on it, or a V-AFC, and have adjusted your a:f ratio...you may have voided your legality.

I am sure you are not going to leave the rest of the car stock, or run with no blow off valve...so with that said...screw it...get a better kit, get more power, and when sniffer time comes around, do what ALL other turbo owners do, and bribe your speedshop to send you to their smog hookup. ;)

www.revhard.com owns...

· Registered
467 Posts
The reason the GReddy kit is legal is because it has aquired a C.A.R.B. number. The California Air Resources Board does not issue numbers to everyone...except those who have the time and money to get one. In reality, the GReddy turbo kit itself does not pollute any more or less than any other kit...they just spent the time and money to get the number. As soon as you put a blow off valve on it, you have voided that number.
Matt! man you rule the scene. :D

· Registered
54 Posts
pita106sg said:
why??? you going to waste all that money and go slower than a car with drag or rev that spent the same amount of money. just dont make any sense. go drag man!! or REV!!! if you worry about smog pay those motherfuckers off. say,"i know my shit aint gonna past smog....HOW MUCH YOU WANT???" simple as that!!
SHIT!!
alright. you try to pay off a state referred smog center and tell me how it went.

· Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone in here that lives in california payed off a smog inspector before? and if so how much did you pay? I have yet to have to go through an inspection. Seeing as how i just turned 16 not to long ago im not too familiar with the process and what exactly is legal (probably not much here in california). What exactly is and isnt legal in California (not only things that apply to turbos, i/h/e etc...). Also, will a smog inspector not pass you if you have nitrous, eve if its disconnected?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.