Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I (obviously) am a newbie to this group and to CRX's in general. I met a guy not too long ago that said if I was able to move the CRX off his lot, I could have it. Couldn't get any cheaper, right? Well, it's a DX model, and obviously carbed. Ick! I know there's a few options, but after reading the output and what seems to be simple option of swapping in a B16 or something thereabout, I can't resist. My only concern is cleaning up the rest of the car, considering it's been sitting for awhile. Now, for the question(s). Which swap would you consider most cost efficient? After browsing, I've noticed it's at least $1,200 for a decent condition B16A1. A friend of mine said it was dirt cheap to get the 92-95 Civic EX engine (VTEC of course, which is my priority) and easy to swap in. Also, in SCC, they swapped in the 86-89 Integra engine. Can anyone help me on which would be best? I know that the B16 is the most powerful, but wouldn't it cost more to get the motor mount kit and such as well? I'd like to have some cash leftover to do maybe a turbo or actually get the interior looking brand new again :rolleyes: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

· Banned
1,529 Posts
well, I can spot one problem with any swap other than a carbed ZC. with the DX model you're going to have to source and swap the fuel pump, lines, ECU, and most of the wiring harness to run with fuel injection. there is an article in the november issue of Sport Compact Car covering a B16 swap into the 1st gen CRX.
I have done the fuel system swap on my HF (converting carb to fuel injection) it's not impossible when you have the parts, but getting the parts is very hard. (if you need any, talk to me, I got extras) you can definatly swap in a first generation B16 SiR for (all said and done with mounting kits and axles and wiring) for less than 3000, and if you need interior parts, i got those in perfect condition too, for cheeper than honda will sell them to you for. It's a sick ass car.. and there's tons of shit left over from the 80s for them... all kinds of suspension mods and engine mods and stuff. Get ready for a headace when swaping the fuel system.. it's not hard, but it takes a long long time and lots of patience. The + side of the DX is no sun roof..., and the chassis is alot lighter than the Si... by the way.. you don't want air conditioning do you? it's gonna be really hard with the B16 in there...

as far as the the 86-89 teg engine, that's the ZC... they were made for the car so yeah, that's not going to require axles or a mounting kit, but they have about 130HP for the JDM model, where as a 1st gen B16 has 160HP JDM. You can get the 3million series B16 from a USDM, which would be nice for CA smog cert, but a little less power. You can do anything with any amoung of money.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my main choices are between the B16 and the D16A1. it all basically comes down to how much money i'd like to spend on the engine. considering i'm gonna have to repaint, redo the entire interior and other stuff, it's gonna be quite an extensive project. one question i do have is on the headlights. is it possible to mount the 84-87 civic headlights in place of my crx's? the crx heads kinda sit back in a little bit. they're not too bad, but i think the civic lights look cleaner. also, do you happen to know the proper tire size for 15's and 16's? (just profile, not width of course). thanks!!!

· Banned
1,529 Posts
an engine swap is only going to be worth it to drop in a B16. it's a large project and may take you an a few friends a weekend with the right tools (unless you've done this before)

as far as other stuff you are going to need from a junkyard or something, you'll need 86-89 integra front hubs - 50 each, you're gonna need custom exhaust - 100-200, a 92 GS-R upper and lower radiator hose - 50, ZDyne ECU - 350, HAsport wiring harness kit - 250, Axles from HAsport for 250, 90 integra intermediate shaft about 75$, CVjoints from an 86-89 teg - 100-150, HA sport motor mount kit for 650, rear engine bracket for 50 from a civic, throttle cable from 90 integra 25-50, 88-91 CRX speedo sender 10-15, new brake booster hose from an 88-91 Si - 5 bucks.

in your case you need the fuel pump, Si wiring harness - another 200 or so. GOOD LUCK! (again, if you need anything, just ask me, I got extras sometimes)

The civic headlights are bigger, they won't fit into the CRX without modification of the rex. the CRX (and the civic) had resessed headlights in the 84-85 models years. 86-87 had flush headlights. (I wish we could attatch freaking pictures!!!!) You can find the flush mounted ones for pretty fair price on Ebay (search "86 crx", " 87 crx") you are going to have to change the turn sugnal lenses to the later models too. (the cool thing about the flush mounts, is that you can put whatever bulbs you want, even those annoying green or blue ones!! hehehe)

The tire sizes for the 16 and 17? I assume you want the plus size calculation right? well.. I'll tell ya right now.. don't even think of dropping 17s on that car, no way. 16's maybe, but I would HIGHLY recomend getting 15s with 205/50/15 rubber. 16s are going to be 215/40/16 that's what I had on the HF.
I am putting 205/50/15s on 15 inch wheels (Kosei Seneka) on to Project EW4. You can still lower the car enough in front (without shelling out any cash) to tuck 15 inch wheels nicely

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a ton for the help. i was only wanting to put 15s or 16s on the crx to keep it lightweight with something like the rota supersport wheel. also, as far as body work goes, i have a few more questions. being an 85 model, the body panels are obviously somewhat brittle. would it be possible to retrofit an 88-91 crx bumper onto it without doing some huge custom job to do it? also, where exactly did you find a lot of the parts mentioned needed for the swap? i've checked a few of the sites i.e. inlinefour.com and noticed that with the old school crx, there's not much there. i did find aftermarket springs on nopi though. does you know if the eibachs that are listed include both? it doesn't really specify if eibach actually makes front and back or not... anyways again, thanks.

· Banned
1,529 Posts
JDM4LIFE said:
thanks a ton for the help. i was only wanting to put 15s or 16s on the crx to keep it lightweight with something like the rota supersport wheel. also, as far as body work goes, i have a few more questions. being an 85 model, the body panels are obviously somewhat brittle. would it be possible to retrofit an 88-91 crx bumper onto it without doing some huge custom job to do it? also, where exactly did you find a lot of the parts mentioned needed for the swap? i've checked a few of the sites i.e. inlinefour.com and noticed that with the old school crx, there's not much there. i did find aftermarket springs on nopi though. does you know if the eibachs that are listed include both? it doesn't really specify if eibach actually makes front and back or not... anyways again, thanks.
Fox Sport Edition wheels are very light (just don't take them to the track, they'll prolly break)
www.andysautosport.com makes a body kit for the 1st gen CRX (their older one looked better, ask them about it)
I've never heard of a 2nd gen body on a 1st gen so I really don't know. The parts you might be worried about breaking is the header panel (between the headlights) they go for 80-100 on eBay. www.HAsport.com should have the kits the part number for the B16 swap is M84-B16-10, the harness part number is W84-B16
They also have torsion bars. OPM makes a slew of suspension and transmission upgrade. www.opmmotorsports.com Nopi is a good source, but some people don't like them.. I myself have never had a problem with them. The Eibachs are definatly the way to go! and yes, they only offer rear springs, because the frunt suspension is a mac strut type, no springs, just torsion bars. if you want to lower the front, check out this page
http://www.mullinator.com/crx/tech_tbar.html

Keep us posted on the project! I would love to see another 1st gen B16 swap, you can expect to run very low 14s with no mods right off the bat!

· Registered
2,120 Posts
that kit by andyautosport actualy looks pretty decent

if you go for a motor swap i say go with the b16...you wont be disappointed for themoney you pay to get into the engine bay.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome. now, here's the big question. i know that the b16 is a tight fit and all, and no i'm not made out of money (i just think big), but would a turbo kit or supercharger fit? i know that jackson racing makes a supercharger for the b16, and if i'm not mistaken, greddy has a turbo kit. i dunno about hks offhand. if i wanted to though, would it work? the reason i suggested dropping in the civic ex engine earlier is because the greddy kit for it is only around $1500. that would definitely be a cheap way to get a lot of power under the hood. also, i was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the floorboard carpet? mine's not exactly in a nice condition and i know i've seen actual entire replacement pieces somewhere. anyone perhaps have a hookup for it? thanks!

· Banned
1,529 Posts
if you are dropping in a turbo, it should sit just in front of the headers, I don't think it'd fit unless it sat sideways or you got a smaller radiator or something, the headers almost hit the radiator as it is.
but a supercharger may work, go to http://www.housemanautosport.com/newproducts.html and maybe give them a call to see if they can make you a hood with a buldge for the supercharger. (that'd give it a mean look, like the Gude CRX!!!) other than that.. I know the DOHC valve cover already rubs a little on the hood (doesn't hurt the engine or the hood). there is very little room in there with a B16.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.