Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ,,,

im having an issue with my ITR.,.. at high rpms past 6500 when i shft into third i feel that its grinding ...but at lower rpms it doesnt,,,, a friend told me that it might be my synchros' ... would that be the case ??..or do could it be that i just need a new clutch.>> what could be causing this >?

thanks
jo

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
99itr_rx8killer said:
hey guys ,,,

im having an issue with my ITR.,.. at high rpms past 6500 when i shft into third i feel that its grinding ...but at lower rpms it doesnt,,,, a friend told me that it might be my synchros' ... would that be the case ??..or do could it be that i just need a new clutch.>> what could be causing this >?

thanks
jo
first thing you should do is bleed your clutch, make sure theres no bubbles in your clutch line...

if it keeps happening.. it is your sycros... its not that big of a deal though...

if you practice shifting at high rpms... you can get it in without grinding...

my sycro in 3rd is out too... you just gotta learn how to drive :ninja

*edit*

i just saw the pic of your ITR in your sig... you killed that car
you dont deserve to have it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you shift without grinding it then...i've tried shifting into it slowly ...and shifting into it quick... and it still grinds..

** yea i get that reponse to that a lot on here....

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
most likely the synchros are bad. very common for honda transmission to grind 2nd and 3rd gears. my d16y8 swap was grinding 2nd with only 900miles on the transmission. if your clutch was bad or of there was air in the system all the gears would be grinding and not just 3rd.
however since you have that many miles on the stock clutch it would be a good idea to get a new clutch disk, pressure plate, resurface the stock flywheel or get a lighter aftermarket one and while everything is out send the transmission to have the synchros replaced.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
most likely the synchros are bad. very common for honda transmission to grind 2nd and 3rd gears. my d16y8 swap was grinding 2nd with only 900miles on the transmission. if your clutch was bad or of there was air in the system all the gears would be grinding and not just 3rd.
however since you have that many miles on the stock clutch it would be a good idea to get a new clutch disk, pressure plate, resurface the stock flywheel or get a lighter aftermarket one and while everything is out send the transmission to have the synchros replaced.
:btu about how much should you expect to pay for replacing syncros?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
solsykness said:
:btu about how much should you expect to pay for replacing syncros?
cant say for sure but i know its not cheap.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Since you have that kinda mileage on the stock clutch I would seriously think about replacing it. I know they can last longer but... A weak or near the end of it's life could cause problems with shifting and or sycros wear.

As for the syncros, Gearspeed has a replacement set for a good price and that's what I have in my tranny. The labor... IF you can find someone local who has opened a tranny or 2 up before I'd ask for his assitance. offer beer and food.
If no one can help you then shop around and see who offers the most knowlegde and fairest pricing.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
cant say for sure but i know its not cheap.
hmmm...I'm trying to sell my eclipse so I can get me another honda...if I keep it though, I wanna get the syncros replaced...occasionally it grinds when I shift from first to second gear...sorry, didn't mean to talk about my mitsu...I try to keep it strictly honda, nah mean :confused :hug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.