Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got a problem. It looks like i'm going to have to pull the tranny but its been raining here for 2 weeks so i haven't had the chance. So i figured i'd make a post of my problem while i wait on mother nature and get some input from you guys. Here's my problem. When i was driving home one day i was getting off the interstate exit and i decided to coast off the exit. When coming to a stop the tranny was really being a pain to get in gear. I finally got a lil pissed and jammed the shifter. After that my car is stuck in second gear. You can push in the clutch and it releases fine and you can pull out (in 2nd) just fine. When i move the shifter to the other gears it won't go in fully to any of the gears. Just before you'd think it'd be ready to go in gear in acts like its hitting something almost like there is something blocking it from getting in gear all the way. This happens for 1st through 4th. You can't even move the shifter anywhere near the 5th or reverse gears. Its really binded when trying to put it in those 2. My guess is a broken shift fork inside the tranny. I've heard others suggest the clutch, slave cylinder, or clutch fork itself but i don't think its any of those. I mean with it stuck in 2nd it engages and releases just fine. Also before this major problem it was near impossible to downshift to 3rd or 4th. You can upshift to any gear fine but downshifting to 3rd and 4th was almost impossible. I thought maybe the synchro's but also though maybe i might have had a very worn or bent shift fork inside the tranny and when i jammed the shifter maybe i bent it really badly or broke it, thus the tranny stuck in second and binding trying to get in any other gear. sorry for the long story. Just wanted to give you guys all the info i could. I'm sure some of you have had similar problems. Let me know what you guys think or know. Thanks a lot. Ryan

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
mugenteggy said:
Hey guys i got a problem. It looks like i'm going to have to pull the tranny but its been raining here for 2 weeks so i haven't had the chance. So i figured i'd make a post of my problem while i wait on mother nature and get some input from you guys. Here's my problem. When i was driving home one day i was getting off the interstate exit and i decided to coast off the exit. When coming to a stop the tranny was really being a pain to get in gear. I finally got a lil pissed and jammed the shifter. After that my car is stuck in second gear. You can push in the clutch and it releases fine and you can pull out (in 2nd) just fine. When i move the shifter to the other gears it won't go in fully to any of the gears. Just before you'd think it'd be ready to go in gear in acts like its hitting something almost like there is something blocking it from getting in gear all the way. This happens for 1st through 4th. You can't even move the shifter anywhere near the 5th or reverse gears. Its really binded when trying to put it in those 2. My guess is a broken shift fork inside the tranny. I've heard others suggest the clutch, slave cylinder, or clutch fork itself but i don't think its any of those. I mean with it stuck in 2nd it engages and releases just fine. Also before this major problem it was near impossible to downshift to 3rd or 4th. You can upshift to any gear fine but downshifting to 3rd and 4th was almost impossible. I thought maybe the synchro's but also though maybe i might have had a very worn or bent shift fork inside the tranny and when i jammed the shifter maybe i bent it really badly or broke it, thus the tranny stuck in second and binding trying to get in any other gear. sorry for the long story. Just wanted to give you guys all the info i could. I'm sure some of you have had similar problems. Let me know what you guys think or know. Thanks a lot. Ryan
Sell me the transmission... How much you do you want for it? :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ginyu6869 said:
Sell me the transmission... How much you do you want for it? :D
well if i can fix it easy i'll just go that route but if not then i'll let ya know. Hopefully its just a shift fork and hopefully it'll be one of the 2 my buddy has extra from a Y1. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flyingtoaster said:
Does it happen when the engine is off?

Has the clutch ever been replaced?
Yeah it happens with the engine off. Thats why i know its something in the tranny. Probably one of the shift forks my guess. The clutch engages and disengages just fine (in 2nd of course, its stuck in it) but you can't get it into any other gear with the car running or not. You can almost get it in 1st through 4th but right when its about in place, its like it hits something in the tranny stopping it from going in. And don't even try 5th or reverse. Its so binded you can't get it past 4th. I was hoping it was the shift linkage bent but i doubt it. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
mugenteggy said:
Yeah it happens with the engine off. Thats why i know its something in the tranny. Probably one of the shift forks my guess. The clutch engages and disengages just fine (in 2nd of course, its stuck in it) but you can't get it into any other gear with the car running or not. You can almost get it in 1st through 4th but right when its about in place, its like it hits something in the tranny stopping it from going in. And don't even try 5th or reverse. Its so binded you can't get it past 4th. I was hoping it was the shift linkage bent but i doubt it. We'll see.
Remove the linkage from the shifter and try changing gears from under the car by pushing and pulling on the linkage. If your transmission is in good condition, then you will be able to do it. If not, then you're already on your way to dropping the tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.