Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have 2 questions for all you people....Okay first i know i was wrong, but about a year ago i gutted the cat, the check engine light came on and i have drove with in sence no prob....

Q1: Am i hurting my car by running it like that, damage/proformance?(o2 sensor is probly freakying out)

Q2: Im getting ready to turbo my car(5psi for now) and is that gonna cause more probs for me?

Thanx for the help!
-jef

·
Registered
747 Posts
Q1) No. the CEL is probably coming from the secondary o2 sensor. basically the 2nd o2 sensor just keeps tabs on the cat itself. you might see reduced gas mileage, maybe. if you don't like the CEL, get an o2 simulator. they're only $40.

Q2)No. The "High :D flow" cat will be good. But 5psi sounds low. are you going to be running turbo without an IC?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Q2)No. The "High :D flow" cat will be good. But 5psi sounds low. are you going to be running turbo without an IC?
It will have an Intercooler, Its a custom set-up im getting installed and untill i have a fuel upgrade i was gonna run 5psi...can i go higher OR should i go higher before that???

·
Registered
747 Posts
i only asked because i've heard of some people trying to run low psi before they get the IC. and a few of them have toasted their engines...

are you getting new injectors and/or fuel pump with your turbo kit?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope, its pretty much a turbo set up from anouther car(mazda) and the shop pipes the parts to fit hondas. so it will have turbo,blowoff,IC, ect...but nothing that has to specific for my car, like the injectors.

After i get a fuel upgrade im wanna push around 7psi, then decide if its worth build the motor to handle more...

·
Registered
747 Posts
got ya. yeah, it's probably not a good idea to go above 5psi on the stock fuel system. after the fuel upgrade you should be able to push 8 safely. i know the Turbonetics kit for the D16 runs at 8psi and puts out about 200hp....

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
lemonracer said:
200hp! on a lil d16! woo! is it with stock internals?...oh do you think 5psi will be ok though with out fuel upgrades?
200whp is easily attainable and reliable with a good tune on a D16. Its all in the tuning, don't skimp out on fuel management.

5 psi from what? The amount of boost is all relative as different turbo's flow differently (t25 at 5 lbs is nothing compared to a sc61 at the same boost levels). I honestly would feel more comfortable in upgrading the injectors and perhaps the fuel pump, but I think you can manage, but don't do it for too long. You are obviously cramming in more air into your engine, if you want to be safe, you would have to supply more fuel as well.

Also, if you want to know if your motor is in good condition to boost, do a compression and leakdown test. :tu

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
lemonracer said:
is the resistor box instead of the pump? :ninja
No, you'll need the resistor box if you want to use the DSM 450cc injectors, otherwise it won't work. You can use other injectors like RC if you wish and you won't need the resistor box, you'll only need it if you want to use the DSM injectors. You'll need a fuel pump no matter what, or at least it would be wise to get one, they aren't that expensive. $100 shipped from prostreetonline.com

You can go to www.turbod16.com too, theres a lot more info on the turbo'd d series.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
would the CEL come on if i ran without a cat? I need to do some surgery to my exaust to fit my cat in once i put my headers on. Ill be running 2 weeks without one if i put them on before i get the high flow cat.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
xBenSETSfiRex said:
would the CEL come on if i ran without a cat? I need to do some surgery to my exaust to fit my cat in once i put my headers on. Ill be running 2 weeks without one if i put them on before i get the high flow cat.
Yes it would, unless you got yourself an O2 simulator or converted to OBD1.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
xtremefusion said:
Yeah. What are you going to use to tune it though?

...hopes and dreams... :(

i dont know, didnt even know i needed to, good question.....dose anyone know what i should use? do i have to by a fuel managment system?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.