Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
i don't know why he's saying stay away from skunk2. maybe he's had a bad experience. n e ways, i have skunk2 stage 2 in my h22 and i love it. i don't know about the other brands because i've never used them personally so i can't knock on them. however, since i am using skunk2's so yeah ... they work and they're effing awesome. especially when used in conjunction with high comp pistons.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i dont care much for skunk 2 products. if im gona spend 2k on a pretty key component to my head, im gona spend it on a name i can trust. i guess its all personal preference. but its just my .02

·
Registered
699 Posts
best?

custom grinds.

JUN is the all round best cam off the shelf. Goodluck finding a complete set.

DO NOT buy OBX products.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Why not get the OBX. Im thinking on actually picking up a pair. Has anyone ever had any trouble with them? The cam is made at the exact same factory as skunks from what I hear. They also sport the same specs.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
road.head said:
best?

custom grinds.

JUN is the all round best cam off the shelf. Goodluck finding a complete set.

DO NOT buy OBX products.

I'm looking for the JUN Stage 3 cam profiles still... anyone ever get them?

~Peace

·
Registered
699 Posts
because the cam lobes wear down simply because they are cheaply made.

i cant believe so many people would trust a company like OBX products for internals.

http://www.honda- tech.com/zerothread?id=930933&page=1

not really much testing done until page 12 or so.

point is. They suck and eat the rocker arms and cam lobes because they are made out of billet steel.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
How would you go about determining custom grind specs for a Type S engine? Or any engine for that matter.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Crap that thread is too long and full of BS. I guess they determined those to be crap.....I heard they were the same as skunk2, does theres do the same?

Im actually thinking about finally doing this mod. What are a good set to get?

·
Registered
928 Posts
i heard the same about the obx eat rocker arms. same with the type s cams tho...on a non type s head.

how bout the kteller cams or crower stage 1 if u dont wanna upgrade the valvetrain.

or skunk2 stage 2, or crower stage 2 or 3 if u are going to upgrade the valvetrain.

·
Registered
699 Posts
mike_sho said:
Crap that thread is too long and full of BS. I guess they determined those to be crap.....I heard they were the same as skunk2, does theres do the same?

Im actually thinking about finally doing this mod. What are a good set to get?
they are exact copies of the skunk2's and make the same power. But thats not the point of why not to buy them. They are not reliable. That goes for all of their products.

i have a good friend of mine coming out with his own product line for h22's. Both econo builds and full race builds. Not to mention FRM compatible pistons, cranks, rods....you name it and he will likely have it. I cannot release any info about the products yet tho. I can just tell everyone that they will be out early next year. Just giving heads up.

btw, mike. This is blake. :byye

·
Registered
699 Posts
i wouldnt install any higher lift cam on stock valvetrain with a USDM head.

read this:
I install crower components all the time, especially H22's......and I actually happen to know what I am doing .

the Crower titanium retainers are designed to sit +0.060" higher up the valve stem.....This allows high lift cams to be used without changing the valve guides....
Honda installs type S cams in Japan of ocurse, but the head is different, the valve guides are installed deeper in the head......type S cams have 0.471" lift, I have some here and I also have a 2001 Type S here.....I have my own flow bench so I am quite involved in heads/engines....

installing high lift cams such as the factory Type S head or any brand, without changing the guides/retainer installed height means the retainers hits the valve seal/guide....a stock H22 head has the retainer hit the guide at 0.490 of lift...

back to Crower.....so crower does it correctly, as the factory rockers vary in forgings, some and most interfere with this newly raised retainer, so they have the be slightly "clearanced", its quite as easy modification to do once you know whats going on and are set up to do it.

I change the valve guides in every head that comes in this shop, the guides material is upgraded to manganese bronze and they are "honed" to fit to each individual valve.....nice accurate tolerances get even more critical as we seek to extract more HP from engines.

I am into all kinds of stuff, I have Crower make a stage 4 cams for the street for me that still retains a non-vtec idle lobe that is acceptable.

anyways thats the low down.........anyone who says the Type S cams fit a regualar h22 are full of crap, they do "install" but the rest of the system is not designed to accept them.....they have no idea whats going on.....thats why they don't get much more power as should be had or they run into valvetrain problems, dropping valves and simply screwing up engines....

Frank
Pocketrockets Racing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
usdm h22's valve guides are seated higher than the JDM Type S H22. Honda seated the valve guides lower in the Type S head to accomodate for the larger cam and to gain valve guide to retainer clearances.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
road.head said:
usdm h22's valve guides are seated higher than the JDM Type S H22. Honda seated the valve guides lower in the Type S head to accomodate for the larger cam and to gain valve guide to retainer clearances.
well, the type S is an other storry but JDM & USDM H22 heads are the same.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.