Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you nkow of anyone who has done this swap? i can weld in the kit but so the handling really that bad? is the swp too hard to do shud i just settle for a b16 (h22 same price as a b16)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
i would rather jes get a b18c or b20b/z motor than do the h22.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
yeah, you're better off getting a cr-vtec, it's easier to install and handling is better....my friend has one and ran a 12.3 all-motor and hoping for 10s once he gets the turbo put in....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
handling is horrible (think of coming to a complete stop b4 taking a 35mph turn)..........traction is crap...........this is the worst swap for a street driven CRX....i have raced (when i used to race)....a prelude powered REX and i whooped on him like he was my stepchild.........get a b18C1 or 5....if you have your heart set on vtec....just a more reilable engine........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guess snds more like

a b20 or a old fashioned b16 i guess for hte price out here they run the same
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
The B20 is hot man! This is THE engine for the CRX, its powerful and can be fitted to out class an H22 any day if done right (its lighter too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
i think you'll find when a h22 is swapped into a crx, the engine sits back in the engine bay. so not only does it upset the handling characteristics of the car, in the event of a crash you'll have an engine block prone to coming back towards the driver through the firewall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
CRXtc said:
handling is horrible (think of coming to a complete stop b4 taking a 35mph turn)..........traction is crap...........this is the worst swap for a street driven CRX....
crx2gen said:
i think you'll find when a h22 is swapped into a crx, the engine sits back in the engine bay. so not only does it upset the handling characteristics of the car,[/B]
I have driven an H22 CR-X and the handling IS NOT OFF SET, the H22 is 85 pounds more than a B16 setup that’s not much at all. However traction is a problem but only when starting out in 1st gear on a roadway with high amounts of oil on the surface, most roadways it’s not too bad. Then again who needs 1st gear when you can start in 2nd and still take out turbo B16 Civics…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

thats what most people who have driven in a crxh22 have said now i just need to find someone to do it for me cuz...i can t right now workign on a uhhh nissan swap right now...know of any one in phoenix that will do it for cheap h22 swap(heh)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
ich_folge said:
I have driven an H22 CR-X and the handling IS NOT OFF SET, the H22 is 85 pounds more than a B16 setup that’s not much at all. However traction is a problem but only when starting out in 1st gear on a roadway with high amounts of oil on the surface, most roadways it’s not too bad. Then again who needs 1st gear when you can start in 2nd and still take out turbo B16 Civics…
Simple, www.hasport.com but not cheap LOL

Ich, Was the H22 CRX you drove driven in the street or just around the track area? Could yyou live with the handling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
SohcVtecTurboHB said:
Ich, Was the H22 CRX you drove driven in the street or just around the track area? Could yyou live with the handling?
I have driven 3 CR-X’s with H22’s they where all driven on the street and I put one to the curvy road test, with a drop on one side and a lake on the other. The road is rated at 30 MPH and I never dropped below 60 MPH, I never got wet and the car is in one piece.

So yes I can live with the handling
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
ich_folge said:
I have driven 3 CR-X’s with H22’s they where all driven on the street and I put one to the curvy road test, with a drop on one side and a lake on the other. The road is rated at 30 MPH and I never dropped below 60 MPH, I never got wet and the car is in one piece.

So yes I can live with the handling
Wow!!:eek: So the H22 is streetable, sorry to keep going on about it but man if your reviews are accurate it could really change my future plans!!!! How much cutting was done and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any heat or A/C right? I'm not concerned with power steering, but what kinda brakes is it ginna take to slow that thing down? 13" brake kit? Is there even one for a 4th gen hb? I'm sure power stop isn't gonna cut it. Maybe a 86-89 rear disc conversion.
Peace Thanks for replying back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
Like Ich said, its streetable, but it isnt track worthy. That's when you'll most likely run into problems. If you dont auto-X or take a few laps around the track then you shouldn't have any worries considering you don't wimp out on the $$$ and get a shitty suspension set-up. You will need a nice suspension carefully tuned for the car.

The $$$$ will run up quickly too.....Especially in labor and suspension work. IMO, If i were spending all that dough I would have a built B16 or a B18c5......Just me though, different strokes for different folks.:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
Ich, last question. Where the 3 h22 crx's mounted in with Placeracing weld in's? or custom fabrications? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,424 Posts
Its very street able, but you have to keep an eye out for bumps as the header is very low to the ground. A/C is out of the question as is power steering. Two of the cars where using the Place racing mounts and the other one was using a custom mount setup, I have to say that the Place racing mounts are crap and the engine did sit lower then the custom mounts. That’s good and bad
Good because lower center of gravity
Bad because of the header
Anytime to upgrade a car to go faster you need to upgrade the brakes, but the stock ones can and will work. If you do with the Place racing mounts I would also go with there front cross member as it will free up room for a bigger radiator and or a turbo setup, even though the piping would have to be custom. All 3 cars had the battery moved to the back of the car and one had all the clutch components mounted back there as well, and one car was using the Place racing cable to hydro kit “I do NOT advise using it”

88 rex the curvy road I drove one of the cars on was much like an auto X course and the car felt very good


The only retail mount kit I know of is the Place racing kit Hasport has told me they are working on a kit, but as of now its still in the works
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top