Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to research my plans before doing this.

Here's my plan:

H22A4 out of the 98 Prelude.
S2000 Drivetrain.

So here's my question:

If you rotate the engine and build your mounts, will the s2k tranny bolt right up to it? I'm wanting my accord to be rwd w/o using the s2k engine. (Just go with me on this.)

Is it possible?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
No. Why don't you just use an S2k engine? It wasn't meant to fit in an Accord, but it would fit a hell of alot better than a sideways H22 that doesn't even have a RWD tranny. There are plenty of RWD cars that you are better off getting.

LS1 F body
98+ Cobra
95+ M3
MR2 Turbo
240 + SR20
300ZX turbo

And possibly...
Used S2000
Used Corvette
Supra
RX-7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, hgow about this. If an MK1 VW Rabbit can be synchroed, why not an H22A4 and make it AWD?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only thing I have ever seen with a rwd convert was an integra with a CRV drivetrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look up Synchro Rabbits. They've made 76-81 rabbits AWD. I'm seeing the same thing in a honda.

just buy a used s2k or m3
Money is an Issue. I found an H22 with all the effects and an s2000 tranny, altogether would cost about 2000-2500 bucks. If the bolt pattern was the same, it would theoretically work.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Makai said:
Look up Synchro Rabbits. They've made 76-81 rabbits AWD. I'm seeing the same thing in a honda.
I can't find anythign on the web about "synchro rabbits" but I know it's possible to make a FWD car RWD. It was done on an Integra and about $11,000 was spent. With that money, you might be able to do it on an Accord, but after spending $11,000, the car will still be running mid to high 15s. The bolt pattern is NOT the same, though, requiring further fabrication.

Money is an Issue. I found an H22 with all the effects and an s2000 tranny, altogether would cost about 2000-2500 bucks. If the bolt pattern was the same, it would theoretically work.
Mounting the engine will be horrendous. Again, you will end up spending more money on a grandma car than you would on a car that was designed to be RWD, and you will still be slower.

FURTHERMORE, it is semi possible on an Integra because there was a 4WD 94 to 01 Integra in Japan. Neither the Prelude nor Accord was ever designed with a rear axle in mind.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
it is possible, but not practical. the money that you will spend on parts and labor you can probably buy an rx7 or a used s2000. reliability is also an issue.

but, there is a guy on h o n d a -tech.com that is building an H22 rwd mid-engine del sol. he is about a year and a half into the project that he is doing himself. unless you have the means, time, money, space, and patience to do this yourself, i dont think its worth it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the h22 rotates counterclockwise while the f20c/f22c rotates clockwise. if you ever somehow cobbled them together youd have a hell of a lot of reverse gears :lol2

·
Registered
76 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
Neither the Prelude nor Accord was ever designed with a rear axle in mind.

Honda is so far behind compared to the other imports. Almost makes me want to switch, but I keep holding out for better days.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
MichaelQ said:
Honda is so far behind compared to the other imports. Almost makes me want to switch, but I keep holding out for better days.
well, for the most part honda has the economic idea in mind for the mass population. i dont think that honda is really "performance oriented" with few exceptions like the s2k. you look at subaru with the wrx, or mitsu with the evo and the eclipse both pushing close to 300hp, how can you compare that to the civic, or the 4 cyl. accord?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
MichaelQ said:
Not necessarily... All 90s Hondas used a four wheel double wishbone suspension while competitors used less race-oriented suspension geometry. Even the 2000-2005 Toyota Integra used a front MacPherson strut, as well as the '90s MR2.

As far as engines go, Honda has kept up rather nicely. The V6 6 speed Accord goes 0-60 much faster than the Camry, and many sports cars, for that matter. The Toyota GTS motor is no more advanced than a B18, making slightly more horsepower with ridiculously higher compression. The K20 is in a class of its own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now the K20A is one hell of a horsepower producer. But, look, Nissan has the 350Z that pushes 300 horse, and all the aftermarket support. The 3.5 Altima SE-R also pushes 300 horse. Nothing in the Honda line up, aside from the Acura RL comes close to comparing in the horsepower range and that's a 50,000 dollar car. And most of all NO AWD cars with 300 horsepower priced under 30,000, and correct me if I am wrong 1 rear-wheel drive, the S2K.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
MichaelQ said:
Now the K20A is one hell of a horsepower producer. But, look, Nissan has the 350Z that pushes 300 horse, and all the aftermarket support. The 3.5 Altima SE-R also pushes 300 horse. Nothing in the Honda line up, aside from the Acura RL comes close to comparing in the horsepower range and that's a 50,000 dollar car. And most of all NO AWD cars with 300 horsepower priced under 30,000, and correct me if I am wrong 1 rear-wheel drive, the S2K.
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290524

The S2000 has the same acceleration as the 350Z with better handling. Having more horsepower and torque is a sloppy way to go just as fast.

Fun fact: the 300hp VQ35DE has less peak torque than the 280hp VQ35DE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey also remember that an accord doesn’t have the front/rear weight ratio of most rear wheel cars and you would have lots of traction problems at higher hp. ex: 300zx twin turbo, 240 sx etc... And don't get me wrong the 300zx twin turbo probably was the most intriguing drive of my life but the ass swings out with the thought of any moisture on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you wanna go berserk

Your project is too complicated. This is what you need to do: Get an accord, get another accord front end meaning engine and drivetrain. Stick the second engine/drivetrain in the back of the first accord. BAM, you got yourself an awd twin engine accord. How's that?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
munim said:
Your project is too complicated. This is what you need to do: Get an accord, get another accord front end meaning engine and drivetrain. Stick the second engine/drivetrain in the back of the first accord. BAM, you got yourself an awd twin engine accord. How's that?
just as retarded as the first idea the OP had.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts