Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years my dream tuner Honda was the '99 Civic Si because the '99 Civics are my favorite Civics for their looks and I of course wanted an Si for its power. My logic was to get an Si because if you start with a more powerful engine then you get to your power goal faster and more easily. To my disappointment I couldn't get an Si because nobody in my town ever wants to sell theirs (in fact I've only ever seen four '99 Sis in my town). Then I was given the idea of an engine swap with the B16A. That seemed perfect. The Si powerplant that would fit perfectly into another EK4 Civic since it was the same chassis. Then I found out about the H22A4. Ah crap, I thought. I want this so bad but it will probably take a lot more work and more money. So for anyone whose done an H22 swap into a Civic, I ask you, if I don't want to sacrifice air conditioning and am going with a completely new programmable Hondata ECU how difficult is the swap going to be on a scale from one to ten and is it worth it over a B16A?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mounts.htm

You need $600 engine mounts to swap an H22, wheras you can use stock B series mounts (included with a full swap) when swapping a B16. There may be a cheaper way, but using expensive mounts is the only way that I am aware of. After that, the other issues are wiring and the shift linkage, which I know nothing about. There is no cutting or welding that I am aware of, but you have to ask yourself whether spending $600 on mounts is worth it. The other problem is that the H22 is a little heavier than a B16, and I think by more than 100lbs. We really need an engine weight list on SHO. It won't destroy your steering balance, but your car won't handle like it does with a lightweight D series. Another problem is reliabilit, and I know I have seen more complaints about the H22m since it is prone to oil leakage and it also eats oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks a lot! I'll definately give this a lot more thought now. Given the cost of the mounts I would probably at least have to find a really cheap H22. I would've planned on rebuilding the engine anyway so I guess mileage doesn't matter. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Whatever swap you get, you need to make sure it is OBD-II or you won't pass smog. That's how it is in California, at least. The cheap B16s are all OBD-0 or OBD-I. How much are you willing to spend? A B16 in a 96+ Civic is good, but not that great. With any luck, you'll be about as fast as a stock Integra GSR or Prelude, but with a B18c, you'll be a little faster. Those run $3,300 on hmotorsonline for an OBD-I, but I don't know about OBD-II.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to say how much I'll be able to spend since I'll have to save up some money first. Also, I'm not just looking to get power from a stock motor. I plan to do some mid-level all motor mods and tuning as well. Basically, in the long run, I want a quick rather than fast street car that is still very drivable and comfortable. Maybe instead of a swap I should just buy an Integra since I've always been very attracted to that car too. I'll have to think about this more. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hardedge said:
It's hard to say how much I'll be able to spend since I'll have to save up some money first. Also, I'm not just looking to get power from a stock motor. I plan to do some mid-level all motor mods and tuning as well. Basically, in the long run, I want a quick rather than fast street car that is still very drivable and comfortable. Maybe instead of a swap I should just buy an Integra since I've always been very attracted to that car too. I'll have to think about this more. Thanks again for your help.
Well I was faced with a similar situation. A year ago, the automatic transmission on my 1999 Accord died and I had the option of getting an H22 or selling the car and buying an Integra GSR. However, I would have needed to do an auto to mannual swap, as well as find an OBD-II motor, which would have costed as much as what you're looking at with the Civic. I'm glad I sold it for an Integra, since I finally have a car that I enjoy being seen in. Just go with whatever will make you happy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're definately right. I'll wait and see what options come up but an Integra does sound like a really good idea. It's a B18 powered car right? What's the HP and torque on a late '90s Integra?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hardedge said:
You're definately right. I'll wait and see what options come up but an Integra does sound like a really good idea. It's a B18 powered car right? What's the HP and torque on a late '90s Integra?
The '90-93 and '94 to '01 (second and third gen Integras) are very similar in chassis and engine design and only came with B18 engines. The RS and LS models have a B18a (second gen) or B18b (third gen) that makes 140hp (except the 90 and 91 models, which have 130hp). Torque is about 130. The GSR model (94 to 01) has a B18c with 170hp and VTEC and torque is still about 130 (it is hard to give an exact number, since Acura fibbed a little on paper, giving the GSR a little more torque, when really, the B18b has 1 or 2 more lb-ft). The Intagra was relatively unchanged over the years, and my 1994 GSR is the same as a 2001 GSR except for slightly different bumpers. Don't let the year put you off, as long as it is well taken care of. And remember, carfax is your friend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard you have to buy a Carfax report. How much do they cost and just how informative are they?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hardedge said:
I've heard you have to buy a Carfax report. How much do they cost and just how informative are they?
$20 or $25 for a one-month membership and you can run as many VIN numbers as you like. They are extremely informative. Half the GSRs I checked either had odometer rollbacks or a salvage title, and this was not mentioned in the ad. It also tells you if a car ever failed smog, which is a good indication that it had been modified. You should have no reservations about subscribing, but only do it if you're serious about buying a car because you only get one month. It took me 3 weeks to find Wendy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wendy? You're the first person I've meet besides me who names their car. Hell, I name other peoples cars too! :p Are stock or at least mostly stock GSRs common? I couldn't get an Si in Arizona to save my life. Do you think I'll have the same problem with a GSR?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts