Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the middle of an h22 swap into my 00 civic ex. after talking to a few people online i decided to use the p13 ecu matched to the wiring harness in my civic. well then when i actualy tore both cars apart i realized that the p13 doesn't plug into the wiring harness on my car. i was wondering if anybody has any real world experience with this swap and what ecu wiring harness combo was used.i have also heard that a gsr ecu,i think its a p72, will work but i dont' know if it will plug into the wiring i have in my civic. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
your main problem is that your trying to plug an OBD1 computer into an OBD2 harness, your best bet would be to buy an OBD2-OBD1 conversion harness and utilize that..or if you feel competent enough just go to the junkyard and get the parts and make it yourself..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe its my fault for not specifying but i am bought a totalled 97 lude which uses an obd-II computer. the problem is that the wiring harnesses in the two cars arent the same in the civic the engine harness was separated from all the other vehicle wiring all the way to the computer but in the lude there are clips at the firewall and then under the dash the prelude engine harness merges with the rest of the chassis wiring (dash lights, ac controls, ect.). therefore i don't think the prelude harness will come out of the vehicle the way that i need it to which leaves me with the problem i asked about.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have an h22 swap in which they ran any type of obd-II ecu. and if so which one. and another question and possibly a more usable one has anyone ran a gsr ecu. i believe its a p72? correct me if i'm wrong, along with a stock civic harness. because as long as i know that my 00 ex wiring harness will plug into the clips from the gsr ecu then i will know it is going to work with the h22.

i know how to modify the other end of the wiring harness to work so this should answer my questions. i just picked up my head from the machine shop the other day and my bearings and oil pump are on their way so i should have the motor together by this weekend so i need some help on this right away.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
ok...w/ the p72 ecu the engine will not produce nearly as much power as w/ the h22 ecu. The ecu from a 99-00 GSR will work though..but bear in mind it won't produce as much power and will feel weak. The harness are very similar, its just that your car is an OBD2B car and the ECU you have is an OBD2A...you could just change the plug ends on your cars harness with pieces that you get from a junkyard or such...or just get a harness from a 96-98 model civic...I hope this helps...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so the p72 will plug directly into the harness that i have? or do i have to have the plug clips from a 96-98 model civic?

and what is the deal with obd-IIa and obd-IIb. this is the first i have heard of anything like that. and are you saying that my civic ecu is a or b. and which is the prelude ecu?

and to give you a little more info i have all of both the prelude and the civic as far as parts go so i can do whatever as far as that goes but i need to know exactly what will work.

and also do i have to use a 99-00 gsr ecu or will anything that is newer than 96 work.

sorry for all teh questions at once but you actually seem to have a little experience with this and im desperately in the need of advisable help.

another thing is you say the p72 won't make as much power but from what i have read people say that with teh old school (obd) ecu's the p72 runs better than the p13 but alot of times they run to lean for extended use. but i plan on having bigger injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and access to a dyno so i think i should be able to richen it up enough to make it run. do you think that sounds reasonable or what would you suggest.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
the p72 does not have enough timing for the h22...trust me..I tried a buddy of mines..and it pulls soooo much better w/ the p13...ok..

96-98 is OBD2A and 99-00 is OBD2B, for the most part they just changed the plug ends at the ECU. Your car is of course 2b and the prelude is 2a. Just get the ECU wire ends from the prelude, put them onto your civic harness..and run the extra wires needed and use the p13:tu:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks man, its nice to be able to speak to someone with experience. i will try to swap out the clips on the wiring harnesses the next time i am off work and have a chance to work on my car.

thanks for the advice and i'll probably be back on here in a couple days with either results or yet another problem. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts