Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
tha_con said:
So, does everyone else think that the H22 valve train is loud or is it just me?

I had my valves adjusted, and I still have slight ticking, so maybe they are just loud?
yeah mine make a lil noise but most honda's do. Especially louder if you have a header, intake.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yeah it really pisses me off...BTW I have an h23 so i don't think it's just particular to the H22's. I got the adjustment and it didn't do much of anything. But I still think something is a little off because some days it'll tick louder and others much quieter. On those days my car runs smoother as well. WTF? I want my car to be consistantly kick ass...any ideas as to what else could be causing this? Or should I just have the valves re-done?

BTW would a 60,000 mile timing belt maybe cause the valves to tick a bit louder than they should?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
it depend on what oil you run in the car.....when I change the oil in my car....the ticking noise becomes less appareant.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yea I noticed it as well....How much did you guys spend on your valve adjustments? I think I might get mine done.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine wasn't expensive really, it was about 80 bucks, plus what I paid for the gaskets (like 50 some).

Just make sure you do TWO things. One, if at all possible, make sure that they know, that YOU know, it does NOT take HOURS to do a valve adjustment.

They might try to tell you it took some "time" to do, but if they pull that, just let them know you'll kill them.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
tha_con said:
Mine wasn't expensive really, it was about 80 bucks, plus what I paid for the gaskets (like 50 some).

Just make sure you do TWO things. One, if at all possible, make sure that they know, that YOU know, it does NOT take HOURS to do a valve adjustment.

They might try to tell you it took some "time" to do, but if they pull that, just let them know you'll kill them.
So a ballpark figure (time wise) would be?

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they have to replace gaskets, etc, anything over 1.5 hours is iffy, 2 hours max.

Basically the job consists of turning the nuts and using your feeler guages, it's not complex, just iwthout the right tools it can be a bitch.

You take off the wire over the top of the valve cover, then the vavle cover, adjust valves, and put it all back together.

Like I said, the gasket might add some time, but anything over 2 hours is just unacceptable. Considering Honda has "certified mechanics" they should work that fast, if not faster.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the only other issue is making sure the engine is sufficiently cool when you adjust valves...
maybe i'm wrong, but it's got to be cooled down, but that time shouldn't cost money.

considering these guys should know how to do this stuff in their sleep?
shouldn't take long...

as above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.