Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys? I'm having a little problem with my vtec staying engaged on my H22. I was getting the CEL code 21 for bad vtec solenoid, so today I got a new solenoid and changed it out. Well as it turns out that wasn't the problem and I'm still getting the same CEL code. I've been told to check my grounds but I didn't do the wiring on this so I have no idea what grounds to check and where. If anyone here could help shed some light on this so I can get this problem taking care I would appreciate it because I'm really starting to get pissed
:mad:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah someone had mentioned that to me and the oil looks fine, but I still thought of throwing another quart or so in there just in case. I did hear a story of someone having the wrong dipstick for their engine which is something I had never heard of, but as far as I can tell the oil level looks ok

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, supposedly the chipped P28 I got for my swap didn't require the knock sensor to be wired up, But maybe I should wire it up just in case.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
did you try to reset the ecu after you changed the solenoids? are you sure the solenoid you got was good? are you sure your ecu is good? did everything work right when the swap was done?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UltraMagneticAL said:
did you try to reset the ecu after you changed the solenoids? are you sure the solenoid you got was good? are you sure your ecu is good? did everything work right when the swap was done?
No, Yes, Pretty sure, and No i've been getting code 21 since day one.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
VTECFREAK said:
No, Yes, Pretty sure, and No i've been getting code 21 since day one.
try resetting the ecu first, see what happens.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I reset the ecu and it still cut out, so tomorrow I'm going to run a wire into the car to manually engage the vtec to try and narrow my problem down to oil or electrical. Hopefully I can get this taking care of shortly:mad:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did somemore trouble shooting and figured out that my problem has nothing to do with oil pressure!! It's an electrical problem, probably a bad connection from the ecu to the solenoid. Anyway I'll keep you posted if this is indeed my problem and if it's not then I'll be back

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
VTECFREAK said:
Well I did somemore trouble shooting and figured out that my problem has nothing to do with oil pressure!! It's an electrical problem, probably a bad connection from the ecu to the solenoid. Anyway I'll keep you posted if this is indeed my problem and if it's not then I'll be back

a multi meter is the first thing to start with after a swap and a problem like this.
pick up a manual so you can have a wiring diagram on hand...makes it a lot easier to check wiring.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think I'm starting to lean towards an ECU problem, and the bastard I bought it from won't answer my emails even though he states that they have a 1 year warrenty, so we'll see what happens:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts