Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an H22 swapped in my '94 Accord but I need help with a check engine light. First, I need someone to walk me through (or to point me to the appropriate resource) how to jump the ECU so I can figure out what code is occuring. Ultimately, I need to know how to get remedy this engine code(s)because I can tell that it is causing power loss. I have a JDM H22a with a P13 and LSD tranny. Keep in mind, that I do not have a catalytic converter, so I may also need to be educated on what to expect when it is missing.

Symptom:
There is no check engine light when I start, and there seems to be full power. Two seconds prior to the check engine coming on, I can feel that the engine is not pulling as powerful. VTEC still engages, regardless of this taking place. This typically happens sometime within 10 minutes, upon startup. I've noticed that this power loss would occur more immediately depending on how cold the car is, and on how hard I start pushing the engine. The light does not typically go on when just idling, after startup.

...so please help me if you have any ideas or procedures for my to start troubleshooting.

Since I don't have patience (because I always want to drive it already), I would rather take it to a shop, but I'm beginning to exprience that no shops are helpful in the Allentown, PA area. Also, tell me if you know any good shops in the area that know their Hondas in and out (I'm willing to drive 1-2 hours if needed).

:bh

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In my 91 accord the blue plug to jump was located under the dash on the passenger side, but I don't know if it's the same for a 94 but I'm assuming it is. And a lot of shops don't like dealing with motor swaps for some reason, I don't quite understand why but they just won't do it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
my 97 accord has the blue plug located the same as above. it's under the dash on the passenger side....
ur problem maybe the EGR issue which mostly occur like mine...but i don't really feel the power loss. it won't be. after 2 yr , i disconnect my egr and just let it be there..still will come on if i drive slow...

·
Registered
968 Posts
yeah, just get a paper clip and there is a blue plug under the dash, it should have two wires. Take one side of the paper clip and put it in one side and then the other one in the other side. Turn your car on to the on position or accessories. Then cound the flashes. One long one is 10 and short ones are 1. SO it you get a long flash and a short flash that would be 11. Another example would be 4 long flashes and 3 short flashes, 43. Just count them and look in a service manual and see what you get. If you do not have a service manual then post them up here an i can look in mine and help you out.

Mitchell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. ...so now I'm faced with code 23 and 36. 23 references the knock sensor.

Is is safe to assume that I should just replace the sensor? I found out where the knock sensor is located, but are there any info or tips I should know about resolving this?

As for code 36, ...I don't see it listed anywhere? ...Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
bonzaioo7 said:
Thanks for the info. ...so now I'm faced with code 23 and 36. 23 references the knock sensor.

Is is safe to assume that I should just replace the sensor? I found out where the knock sensor is located, but are there any info or tips I should know about resolving this?

As for code 36, ...I don't see it listed anywhere? ...Any suggestions?
Before you decide to replace the knock sensor double check to make sure it's wired correctly. I had the same problem and just re-wired it and it went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...just curious as to what resource you used to find out that 36 is traction control. I've been trying forever to figure out what 36 was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts