Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i had a question, it may be kinda stupid, but im 16 turning 17, i have money for the swap, but my car is auto and i wanna do a manual conversion but im not sure if i would have the money for everything i wanna do to my car plus the manual conversion....so i was wondering what the downfalls of having an auto H22a(the swap im getting) would be besides slower acceleration, any opinions would help thanks, oh and i have a 1994 Accord EX if that matters

·
Registered
88 Posts
i got an h22 in my civic shown below and personally i think it isnt a performance car if it isnt a manual plus how are you ever going to put ur vtec to use if you have an automatic. i dont know do what you want.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would do it if i could, some people aorund my school were telling me that if the complete swap kit was around 1800-2000$ then the complete swap and transmission conversion was gonna cost me a total of 5000$ which seemed kinda much, how could it cost almost 3000$ to do that, what do u think about the price range for a complete swap and transmission conv.?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
see my sig.

and the engine it has doesn't make the car a "performance car" most hondas can never be true "performance cars". going fast in a straight line doesn't make it a true performance car :)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
IF the cars already auto .. and thats the donor car .. i'de prob. leave it auto ..

.. youll not only save a bundle by not having to convert it .. but the auto H22 itself is a couple hundred less ..

·
Registered
160 Posts
do the automatics have the same transmission ratios as the manual h22's? here's a list of the h22a '96 gearing for a manual

1ST 3.307
2ND 1.950
3RD 1.360
4TH 1.071
5TH 0.870
REVERSE 3.00
FINAL REDUCTION 4.266

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Typhoonk said:
do the automatics have the same transmission ratios as the manual h22's? here's a list of the h22a '96 gearing for a manual

1ST 3.307
2ND 1.950
3RD 1.360
4TH 1.071
5TH 0.870
REVERSE 3.00
FINAL REDUCTION 4.266
no, the autos have much longer gears than the MT's

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UltraMagneticAL said:
see my sig.

and the engine it has doesn't make the car a "performance car" most hondas can never be true "performance cars". going fast in a straight line doesn't make it a true performance car :)
i looked at ur sig, so its 250$ labor to do the manual conversion added onto the 2400$ for the engine and tranny,but thats for cali, i live in ohio, but it should be around the same price thoguh right? it couldnt be THAT much more than 500$, cuz if im swapping hte engine and doing a conversion all at once it shouldnt be that hard for the mechanic, but thats just my thoughts, so yea anyways, should it still be about 500$ labor to do the manual swap?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
if the motor is out, it's not hard at all.....if you tried to do the swap w/ the engine in the car still, it'd be a biatch.....that's why the changeover is much cheaper w/ a motorswap. shouldn't be more than $1k in parts and labor for a full changeover though.

and and $2400 here in cali will get the h22 motor in and running. the motor, tranny and ecu are almost $1000 less than that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks alot, ive just been really concerned with it lately, im getting the engine swap, but ppl are telling me if ur gonna have that kinda of hp and torque i should have the manual transmission to go with it, not only cuz its more fun but to get the full effect of the engine itself...so here in ohio i should probably be lookin at about 2500-3000$ for the engine swap and changeover right?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
$3k-3.5k would pre pretty reasonable outside of cali.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
af92boy1988 said:
hey i had a question, it may be kinda stupid, but im 16 turning 17, i have money for the swap, but my car is auto and i wanna do a manual conversion but im not sure if i would have the money for everything i wanna do to my car plus the manual conversion....so i was wondering what the downfalls of having an auto H22a(the swap im getting) would be besides slower acceleration, any opinions would help thanks, oh and i have a 1994 Accord EX if that matters

i think you should continue to save your money for something else....like say college....something towards your future...in high school i didnt think about a swap....i just drove the car i had and saved my money...dont invest in a car you might not have once you graduate, which considering your 16...you should be graduating in the next year or so......this is my logical $.02....

Now the other side to it......IMO...I would only do a swap as a start to adding more power...why spend 3k+ to have a h22,if your not going to build up....almost a waste of money IMO...good luck :tu

oh yeah...if you do decide to do it...DEFINITLY do the conversion....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jreese said:
i think you should continue to save your money for something else....like say college....something towards your future...in high school i didnt think about a swap....i just drove the car i had and saved my money...dont invest in a car you might not have once you graduate, which considering your 16...you should be graduating in the next year or so......this is my logical $.02....

Now the other side to it......IMO...I would only do a swap as a start to adding more power...why spend 3k+ to have a h22,if your not going to build up....almost a waste of money IMO...good luck :tu

oh yeah...if you do decide to do it...DEFINITLY do the conversion....
haha, see the thing is, my mom is paying for it and i onyl have to pay half of her back cuz its sorta my grad. present, and as for college well ya im doing what my sister did, community college with financial aid, pretty much free college, so no worries for me

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
word college is important too. but if you make good money, then no problem. i did my swap in the summer after my first year of college.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, my mom is cool about everything though, she said she would do it, thats how i got the car in the first place she gave me the money for the car and i kinda paid her back, so money isnt THAT much of an issue here as long as it doesnt start going past lets say around 5-6 grand, then she might kinda be hesitant, but other than that its all good with her, but thanks for all ur guys imput on my situation, i think im gonna go talk to some local mechanics to get THEIR prices and ill see what u guys think is the best deal.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
civich22aswap said:
i got an h22 in my civic shown below and personally i think it isnt a performance car if it isnt a manual plus how are you ever going to put ur vtec to use if you have an automatic. i dont know do what you want.
I wouldn't go that far. An Accord or Civic with any H22 will be a much faster and sportier car. The Auto from the 97+ Prelude has a sport shift manual type mode too so it woudln't be all that bad, and I have considered doing it to my wifes 96 Civic LX auto. I think it would be cool!! The car will have a ton of what it lacks now.......TORQUE!! The H22 is a very torquey motor and I think it is pretty good with an auto and handles the longer gears pretty well. I have driven a 96 Prelude Si with a auto and really liked that and also the 97 With the sport shift and like that too. Autos are good so long as you get a car that has the torque to handle it and the H22 is the perfect motor for that.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
af92boy1988 said:
haha, see the thing is, my mom is paying for it and i onyl have to pay half of her back cuz its sorta my grad. present, and as for college well ya im doing what my sister did, community college with financial aid, pretty much free college, so no worries for me

hey ask ya moms can she do some upgrades for me and i'll kinda sorta pay her back...:hehe.....best of luck to you....make sure you find a quality place to do it....just because there price is good doesn't mean there work is top notch...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Auto H22a

I am in the same boat trying to save $$$$.
With that being said, you have to get a p13 auto h22 ECU is that correct?
or it does not matter

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
yah, you gotta get an auto p13...cuz how's the tranny gonna know when to shift?

·
Registered
38 Posts
no i meant

UltraMagneticAL said:
yah, you gotta get an auto p13...cuz how's the tranny gonna know when to shift?
Is the p13 auto JDM ECU the only one that would work for an auto tranny? Or would the standard one that came with a manual engine/tranny work?
I was told that it would but I am doubtful.

Thanks

--ambush

1 - 20 of 37 Posts