Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have read a lot about the h22 and decided that its time for a swap in the near future. My car is a LX 94 and I’m looking to drop in an h22a. I don’t exactly remember but I think that the h22a is a prelude SH engine, 200hp stock. Since I wont the 200hp, I think it only comes with the 96 or newer SH, correct me if I’m wrong. UltraMagneticAl (95 and below is obd1 96 and up is obd2, then the driver's side mount is slightly different between the two). How will this affect my swap and how much more for the labor would it be to swap in a obd2? If the money difference between the two Gen engines is very dramatic, I can settle for the 175hp. So here come the questions, where is the best place to by a JDM engine? I know that a lot of sites, including ebay, are selling them but i would stay away from ebay even though they offer the best prices. Someone gave me a site, which I don’t remember, but how safe is it to do this over the Internet? Is it safer to do in person, even though I don’t know who would sell JDM engines in AZ? I have read that many people get screwed over when buying online, and by screwed over i mean missing parts, burnt clutches, and so on.... I know that many SHO members have done swaps and what I need is a little information so I wont get screwed. What’s the best way to go? Of course, i plan on getting the new engine checked out by my "family" mechanic but I don’t know if i would go with him for the whole swap. Does anybody know a professional shop in AZ that would be able to swap engines properly? Because it’s a JDM engine I know that the wiring must be redone and so I want to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Last question, what’s the price range I’m looking at here for the engine, manual tranny, and the swap? Thanks a lot, sorry for the lengthy paragraph..... :rolleyes

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
you can contact Paul from PPE Engineering :tu

http://www.ppeengineering.com/ATLindex.htm

he's doing a swap on my friend's mr2 right now...i'm pretty sure he can handle a simple h22 swap into an accord :nod

there is no 175hp h22. only 190, 195, and 200. iirc, the usdm power gains were from higher compressions....and the jdm motors had similiar compressions, but the ecu tune was a little different. don't quote me on those differences though :hehe

Reactions: FlySly54

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I don't know what your smog/deq laws are like in AZ, but here in WA I couldn't get my JDM H22 to pass. I probably didn't do everything I could have to get it to pass becuase of money issues but I did the basic O2 sensor new cat and tried some different things and it didn't work. I still have the motor though and plan on either trading it for a USDM H22 or having a professional do it this time around because I'm sure something wasn't done right when my father-in-law and I did it ourselves. One question I do have is, is a 94 Accord OBDI or II? And does anyone know of any legit places in the Portland/Vancouver area to have the swap done. I'm a little scared taking it anywhere because I've had several cars stolen and don't want it to happen again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot on the info. One question that im stuck with is how can i make sure that the jdm engine passes the emissions? Worst case is getting it professionally installed then not being able to pass the emissions. Did this happen to VTECFREAK because of maybe improper installment? Thanks on all your help

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
it could be how the motor was maintained in japan. there might be a lot of existing carbon deposits on the motor. the engine might also need a major tuneup. there are a lot of factors.

·
Registered
968 Posts
93-96 Prelude VTEC
H22A:
- 190hp @ 6800rpm & 158ft/lbs @ 5500rpm

97-98 Prelude VTEC
H22A:
- 195hp @ 7000rpm & 156ft/lbs @ 5250rpm

99+ Prelude Type-SH VTEC
H22A:
- 200hp @ 6800rpm

97-99 Prelude Type-SH VTEC & 98+ Prelude SiR-S VTEC (JDM)
H22A:
- 220hp @ 7200rpm

93-95 Prelude Si VTEC (JDM)
H22A:
- 200hp @ 6800rpm

This came off of the h22 faqs about horse power ratings. Just if you wanna know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
plus if you do not pass run some seafoam or other cleaner and due the tune up things for it, that could help if you do not pass.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
civich22aswap said:
dude go to www.jazzproparts.com they sell engines with everything you need and the shipping is free and the prices arent bad.

They want $1395.00 for an H22 long block which is a little more then I paid buying from Hmotorsonline, so it's not really that great of a deal and besides HMO has a decent reputation so it might be a safer bet.

·
Registered
682 Posts
to put in a H22 full swap at a place called SRD is 4000.00 after everything....
their number is 480-317-0090... and if u wanna know about the h22 and how it feels or wanna see one, cal NATE at RMS motorsports.... number is like 480-966-5858 or sometyhing close to their... it is on their site, www. RMS-USA.com .... tell em SHAWN sent U....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ITR_typeR said:
to put in a H22 full swap at a place called SRD is 4000.00 after everything....
their number is 480-317-0090... and if u wanna know about the h22 and how it feels or wanna see one, cal NATE at RMS motorsports.... number is like 480-966-5858 or sometyhing close to their... it is on their site, www. RMS-USA.com .... tell em SHAWN sent U....
Thx man, the hmotorsonline.com offers a complete change up for the h22a, which includes:
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny
- ECU (P13)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shifter Cables
- Shifter Assembly
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

All for 2199.00 Plus shipping and handling.

I called the PPE Engineering shop which was given to me from Ultra and they told me that a swap for everything listed above woulr be $750. They suggest i have more money because nothing ever goes perfect witch mean i can round it off to just about $900. I'll call the shop you just gave me the # to and ask what they charge, thx. What did you mean by getting to see how the h22 feels like, will someone let me test drive a car? If so, i'm going tumorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts