Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an h22a in my accord, from a 94 jdm prelude. and i was wondering if it can handle a T3-T4 hybrid turbo without moding th motor? can it handle it without problems of blowing or anything?

·
Registered
671 Posts
it wont last long

·
Registered
671 Posts
cause honda's aren't meant to be turboed, especially the h22 motor. there are currently 5 preludes, including mine right now at a shop where i live right now...3 including mine with blown motors.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Unfortunately hes pretty much right. There are alot of factors up against you 1 is the compression ratio its to freakin high. 2 the cylinder walls are made of nicocil im not sure if i spelled that right. 3 the pistons ringlands are weak as shit. 4 the motor is old and tired.

Boosting it will only make a bad situation worse i say take it to a reputable shop and have it built the right way tot ake the punsihment then have it tuned right by a tuner who knows what the hell theya re doin. Then last but not least keep up with the routinemaintenance along with the correct fuel management preferably hondata.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand, but how is the motor old and tired it maybe has 50k miles on it, and its been taken care of quite nicely.. but couldnt i get low compression piston heads with better piston rings and call it good?

·
Registered
247 Posts
well mileage has a bit to do with it and no you cant use low comp pistons i mean you can but they better be forged thats one and two they have to mate with the cylinder nicely in order to proceed with this method you have to resleeve the block. The forged pistons will scrape up the walls in the cylinders which overtime will score the the insides defeating the purpose altogether. If you had a b series you can jsut slap in new pistons and rods and rehone it and call it a day. But for is its sadly not possible. You have to go all out on that bottom end to make some serious reliable power providing that its tuned ofcourse. You have to resleeve,get better pistons and rods, and get it tuend and your all set.

·
Registered
671 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yea the h22 motor is probably the least turbo friendly motor that honda makes. There was I think 2 turbo ludes in my area and both ended up blown.

You can do it, there are just a lot of factors working against you.

·
Registered
908 Posts
yea the h22 motor expecially if it Vtec is not good for turboing... becuae of the compression from the stock motor. the motor will not last to long... but the h23 on the other hand with no Vtec is good for turboing but some modifications are need less on the h23 which i have in my 1992 SI... this engine gives more Hp with turbo then the h22 engine with Vtec and turbo believe it or not ..........

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Tuning is everything. Only people i know of that last with stock bottom ends are people who are running standalone.

refer to my avatar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Id like to respong to that comment you can do a turbo to jsut about anything its just a fact of having it last. Doesnt the h22 head flow better than the h23?> hmmm but the h23 depending on its condition will fall to boost aswell. You never know i say build it do it rigth the first time instead of cheaping out or get screwed with oh i gotta fix this and that lol.

You can either do this :wow or this :byye :bye or this from watching someone blow their motor :noo . Or you can do this after you build it up and have it running right :clap or this so noone wont steal it :ninja or this when the cops come when your streetracing :ahh

·
Registered
247 Posts
please if you may mark where the ringlands are just to let them know that those are the weak links too if you please. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:btu hey thanks for the input guys you all helped me very much, i decided im not going with turbo rather, ill just do other mods. i am gonna buy really good cams and adjust the valve lash and maybe like a stroker kit and other little things. i just cant afford to loose my h22 , if i blew it i think id kill myself :bh

and if anyone has any suggestions other than having shit machined and bored out and new pistons (cuse they cost too much for what they are) then keep replying!!!

and thx again! man this helped and im not being sarcastic!

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
KonigRR said:
:btu hey thanks for the input guys you all helped me very much, i decided im not going with turbo rather, ill just do other mods. i am gonna buy really good cams and adjust the valve lash and maybe like a stroker kit and other little things. i just cant afford to loose my h22 , if i blew it i think id kill myself :bh

and if anyone has any suggestions other than having shit machined and bored out and new pistons (cuse they cost too much for what they are) then keep replying!!!

and thx again! man this helped and im not being sarcastic!

stroker kit, cams....not little things

a true stroker kit involves, forged pistons ($400), forged rods ($600), crank ($200), sleeved block ($1200), boreing the block.

Its not cheap. I just bought cams, cam gears, valvetrain and all the other accessories for just over 1k (i got hooked up). ANd that is just in the head without installation. My installation is running me 700 including a manual tensioner conversion.
2.4L stroker will be coming after that. Thats gonna run me almost 2k for just my bottom end. And dont expect just to be able to run a fully built motor without tuning......hondata or AEM standalone......personally i am going standalone ($1200). Then hopefully sometime after that i can get my custom ITB's made.

its not as simple as what you are saying. you gotta pay to play

·
Registered
671 Posts
98Vtec said:

a true stroker kit involves, forged pistons ($400), forged rods ($600), crank ($200), sleeved block ($1200), boreing the block.

Its not cheap. I just bought cams, cam gears, valvetrain and all the other accessories for just over 1k (i got hooked up). ANd that is just in the head without installation. My installation is running me 700 including a manual tensioner conversion.
2.4L stroker will be coming after that. Thats gonna run me almost 2k for just my bottom end. And dont expect just to be able to run a fully built motor without tuning......hondata or AEM standalone......personally i am going standalone ($1200). Then hopefully sometime after that i can get my custom ITB's made.

:nod

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
98Vtec said:

but i was told cams are easy to install, my friend said he can do it in a pretty quick amount of time. so why isnt it a little thing other than it costing like 500 bucks? and i didnt know what a stroker kit was, just someone one suggested it, i was gonna look into it before i went to purchase one

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also, if i buy cams, should i buy cam gears, cuse i was told my car is pretty powerful at high end rpms, which is what the cam gears do right?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
KonigRR said:
also, if i buy cams, should i buy cam gears, cuse i was told my car is pretty powerful at high end rpms, which is what the cam gears do right?
you gotta tell me more info...like what cams you were planning on running....what specs (lift and duration)

if you get a "stage 2" profile cam you have to get valvesprings. You dont need retainers unless you are going above the stock revlimit. In which case if you stroke your motor you would need them, cuz a stroker motor will make power past redline.

what are your plans. I need brand name, profiles...etc

1 - 20 of 51 Posts