Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo what up going turbo for my soon coming h22a v-tech but

i don't kno now if i should turbo it becuz it's a v-tech

CAR: 94 civic hb (parts r on there way:D )

HHHHEEELLLPPPPP :confused: pleaz help ne1

·
Registered
621 Posts
I wouldn't do it because of reliability issues after turboing. 10:1 compression in my opinion is way to high to go F/I and still have it be reliable as a daily driver. If you did go turbo I'd run modest boost at around 5-6 psi. With 8.5:1 you could run 10-15 psi daily with no problems but you'd really suffer in lower rpms 0-3000 because of turbo lag. 9:1 is ideal because it'll get you off the line quick and still be able boost around 10psi. This is just my opinion and experience with my JRSC.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
MatT3T4 said:
It's VTEC, and you won't have any problems.

LMAOROTF:p :p :p V-Tech, that's a phone manufacter

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tune the car.

Fuel, ignition, and a tuning tool. With these in place, the compression will be beneficial so long as the car is tuned properly on a dyno.

·
Registered
750 Posts
so long as you provide the perfect stoich mixture (14.7:1) then you should be fine with 5-7 psi on stock internals... be sure to upgrade those internals when you get the money though.... also, like everyone said... tuning is the key to power and reliability

·
Registered
320 Posts
The stock internals on an H22A are actually incredibly stout. I would personally not worry about building the internals, so long as your tuning is on point, and you keep it as a daily driver. If you ever want it as a track only car...cool...besides that, in a street driven racer, you will never need to make more power than the stock motor can hold...you'll be spinning tire everywhere.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Some people have good luck going f/i with vtec motors and others don't. I have two friends, one went turbo and the other SC. Both motors blew within a weeks time. So with my freinds bad experiences I'd rather not go f/i on a vtec motor.

One with an 99si did the drag kit and went through 2 built motors before putting the car back to stock and selling it.

The other had a 96 GSR with the JRSC and his motor gave way after 5 days. He then rebuilt the motor from the bottom end and ran JR's 12lb pulley. That motor died and so did the next built one. After going through 3 motors he went back to N/A b18c.

·
Registered
320 Posts
jdmlude said:
Some people have good luck going f/i with vtec motors and others don't. I have two friends, one went turbo and the other SC. Both motors blew within a weeks time. So with my freinds bad experiences I'd rather not go f/i on a vtec motor.

One with an 99si did the drag kit and went through 2 built motors before putting the car back to stock and selling it.

The other had a 96 GSR with the JRSC and his motor gave way after 5 days. He then rebuilt the motor from the bottom end and ran JR's 12lb pulley. That motor died and so did the next built one. After going through 3 motors he went back to N/A b18c.
Thank you. Your friends are the TEXTBOOK examples of the dangers on having an untuned motor. And as I have stated in other threads...don't expect low compression, or a built motor, to save you from having to tune the motor. Built or stock...and untuned, or badly tuned motor...is a ticking time bomb.

That sucks for your buddies though, I hate blowing motors. I blew my SOHC motor on 1.0 bar I think, and 145mph, consistently, for about 4 miles...hehehhehhehe...Spun a rod bearing. (of course, that isn't a tuning issue, but still...a blown motor is a blown motor)

·
Registered
73 Posts
matt im planning to drop a h22 in my 99 hatch... got any advice? any problems or something like that..... im still wondering if the b18c would be better???... either way i will eventually want to go with f/i... words of wisdom plz... this is also out to all the tuners out there.. which engine is better for f/i?

·
Registered
125 Posts
honda115 said:
so long as you provide the perfect stoich mixture (14.7:1) then you should be fine with 5-7 psi on stock internals... be sure to upgrade those internals when you get the money though....
Wow.. this is WRONG.

a stoich mixture is great for economy but if you were to try to make power with a stoich mixture you would most likely melt the pistons. turbo cars like a rich mixture around 12:1, air to fuel. 5-7 will be fine on stock internals but shouldnt be considered a "safe limit" You can easily run 10psi or more if the tuning is conservative on pump gas. I really like boosting street cars on stock internals, the tolerances are very precise and the driveability is nearest to stock.

jason

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here's my last input....FIND A REPUTABLE SHOP TO DO THE INSTALL. If you know the shop's track record as being good you can trust they will do a good job.

My buddy with the si did all the work himself and had it tuned at a shop, shop must not have tuned it right I guess.

My other friend gave his car to John Kauffmen in atlanta and he's the one that did the two rebuilds from the bottom end up. He didn't warranty his work or anything so my friend basically lost 6 thousand dollars on the rebuilds.

·
Registered
678 Posts
h22a turbo running 11

i have this old magazine its about 2 years old, but anyways its got a 99 hatch running an h22 turbo on 18 inch rims making 647 horses to the wheels. and it a 11 second daily driver. the mag says on slicks he ran mid 10. just thought u might want to know that. good combo a hatch with a turbo. theres this guy in my city that lays down 13,s flat with a crvtech engine in his hatch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
MatT3T4 said:
The stock internals on an H22A are actually incredibly stout. I would personally not worry about building the internals, so long as your tuning is on point, and you keep it as a daily driver. If you ever want it as a track only car...cool...besides that, in a street driven racer, you will never need to make more power than the stock motor can hold...you'll be spinning tire everywhere.
I agree with u bro... When i have my stock engine, I was boosting 10 psi all day with no problem.. the only problem that i got was the tranny was slipping hella bad...

·
Registered
321 Posts
jdmlude said:

I am sorry to hear about ur friends.. did they tune their engine correctly?? when ur friend got his rebuild motor, did he break in his engine...He must break in the rebulid engine before he boost it everyday because the internals are still new and not just to work too hard... Anyway... My friend's shop install turbo on V-tec engine all day with no problem...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: h22a turbo running 11

blueSI said:
i have this old magazine its about 2 years old, but anyways its got a 99 hatch running an h22 turbo on 18 inch rims making 647 horses to the wheels. and it a 11 second daily driver. the mag says on slicks he ran mid 10. just thought u might want to know that. good combo a hatch with a turbo. theres this guy in my city that lays down 13,s flat with a crvtech engine in his hatch.

My friend just did a h22a in a 93 hatch.. (stock engine with intake and header ran 12.8 at SAC raceway...) Just wanta let ur fellow know..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts