Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently bought AMSOIL and an AMSOIL filter for the first time. When brought to me I immediatly noticed the larger box and said. Thats for a Prelude? They pulled out the filter and it did have some room in the box. But it looks larger than the PureONE I normally get & I believe most filters for the Prelude are the size of the PureONE.

I went to verify this and bought a new PureONE filter. Sure enough , the AMSOIL filter is larger.

Ill get more specs on the filters. But it seems amsoil is pretty good. I normally use the pureone purolator with mobil1. Im hoping the amsoil combo does better.

Then Im probably going to test K&N afterwards.

Stats:

PureONE Model # 14459
Cost: $6
Micronic Filtering
Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve
More Pleats (more filter surface area)
PTFE Treated Sealing Gasket (makes it easier to remove)

Amsoil SuperDuty Oil Filter Model # SDF20
Cost: $11
Oil Pressure Relief Valve
Heavy Duty Case of Drawn Steel
Cellulose, Synthetic and glass media blend (filter material)
Anti-Drainback Valve
Larger capacity

Also inside you can see they are quite different.

Ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
910 Posts
amsoil sales a twin filter block kit, it relocates your filter, but it has a place for 2 filters. when using both filters with amsoil, you can run up to 30k miles without an oil change. ive mainly seen these on big trucks, but think they make them for cars too???

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
PreludeKing1995 said:
amsoil sales a twin filter block kit, it relocates your filter, but it has a place for 2 filters. when using both filters with amsoil, you can run up to 30k miles without an oil change. ive mainly seen these on big trucks, but think they make them for cars too???

are you outta your mind? :eek 30k without and oil change? i don't care if you have 10 filters, the oil itself will have broken down 27k miles ago, no matter how many passes it makes through the filter. i personally would never go above 3k without a change. has anyone seen or heard anything about the mobil 1 high efficeny filters? there like 11$ at autozone. bosch also makes a high efficency filter.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kommon_sense said:
Good stuff. I wonder if I have the newer filter. Too bad they didnt test the pureone filter though. Thats one that guy needs to break down and just get...

Ill have to try the k&n though....but im not too sure on it, seems to not have a good filtration standard. But who really knows if these companies are even verifying this or are just slapping on any rating to impress people. While k&n might be telling the truth.

Also I understood the whole part on the different holes...but one has got to think less holes doesnt mean bad, it might go through the filter portion longer, so it can extract more particles. But it might not flow as high as the ones with larger/more holes. Not really sure why they took that as bad. Maybe they know something I dont...but they didnt explain much on the issue.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
do some searching on that site. someone did a micron test or research or something

i think k & n was at 20 microns...maybe more i forgot.

pure one was at like 10

mobil 1 was at 10

purolater i think 15 or 20...

fram 20

also there was a argument that the more filtration the less flow...bob did the tests on pressure drop with filters and did it well, but later got a stroke so his work was never completled (he was the administrator)

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the pureone says micronic filter. I think its pretty good for 6 bucks. Also im wondering how the bosch faired in filtration it seemed to be about the same as the k&n.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
the bosch was good too...but k & n had a silicone anti drain back valve while bosch didnt...

i think bosch is around 12 microns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts