Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is that mobil 1 is the shit. has been running my lude for years (not sure exactly how long cause i just bought it). but the motor is clean as hell.
Look at the head! This motor has 102k on it and it looks like it's brand new. There is no wear on the cams at all

The stuff changes obviously just like typical oil. It runs about 5 bucks a quart, so it's almost like putting gold in your motor. But it's well worth it. I just found out recently though that Wal-Mart sells a 5 quart jug for 20 bucks. You do not want to switch over to synthetic if you have a high milage motor however, it can cause leaks. I wouldn't switch past 50k, but i'm not exactly sure. If you have a new motor, you need to break it in for the first 10 or 20k with regular oil, then you can switch.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought it was 5.1, either way, for oil changes, i'm pretty sure 5 quarts would be enough, if not, just get the jug, use it, then dump in a tenth of a single :D

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I've been running Castrol Synth oil for a bit now. But I'm getting up there in mileage and probably shift over to a 10w oil. Think I'll go look at the Mobil 1 stuff next time I go to the parts store. :tu

·
Registered
870 Posts
is it relly bad to switch over at a high milae. i have just under 60k wiuld it be bad to switch and why? i get mine change at honda dose anyone know what they use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes id like to know why it is bad to switch at a high mileage aswell :eek and Id also like to know if anybody knows anything about what i think is a myth, the idea that you cant switch back to regular oil once you go synthetic. :confused

They both seem bogus to me for one reason: All multi-grade oils (5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40, 15w-40 etc...) are engineered to have two different viscosity characteristics by the same polymers that comprise most of a fully synthetic oil. If someone would challenge me with some factual info, it could really help me out. :D

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothing to do with it. synthetic oils, as you can see, have a detergent property. if a motor runs 100,000 miles on standard oil you get buildup of sludge and things that over time actually help seal the block. switching the oil out to synthetic at high milage cleans out that sludge and eventually causes leaks that can't be stopped. even switching back to regular oil does not help because it can't re build what it broke down. i wouldn't change oil into a motor with more than 100,000 but 60,000 should be just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
neldogg said:
nothing to do with it. synthetic oils, as you can see, have a detergent property. if a motor runs 100,000 miles on standard oil you get buildup of sludge and things that over time actually help seal the block. switching the oil out to synthetic at high milage cleans out that sludge and eventually causes leaks that can't be stopped. even switching back to regular oil does not help because it can't re build what it broke down. i wouldn't change oil into a motor with more than 100,000 but 60,000 should be just fine.
So wouldn't an engine that uses synthetic oil early on get leaks too? because there wouldn't be any buildup to prevent leakage when the engine has high mileage. I just think it depends on the condition of the engine's seals. My opinion is if you maintain your engine from the start and your seals are all good, you can use synthetic whenever you want. The properties of synthetic will probably increase the life of your engine. Finally, if your engine is on the verge of leaking oil then it should be fixed/replaced anyway. There would be no point in changing to synthetic now.

edit:
(I just read Kommon Sense's link on synthetic oil and I think it's true. That is what I was trying to say. Just didn't know synthetic oil conditions the seals.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmm

Well, I took the risk and put synthetic at my high mileage at 170k (f22b). now at 180k (did a oil change, mobil 1) and it runs fine. Now that I know the consequences, I woudlt do it again. But my engine, which probably has minor amounts of carbon deposits is fine because of anal oil changes. I want to take of the head just like you did soon also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have my b18c1 fully built (sleeved,pistons,crank,etc.) i have been driving on the block for about 10k miles (it is turbo charged) would it hurt,or should i turn to synthetic???????? :confused

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
gr_electronics said:
i have my b18c1 fully built (sleeved,pistons,crank,etc.) i have been driving on the block for about 10k miles (it is turbo charged) would it hurt,or should i turn to synthetic???????? :confused
At 10k miles, your engine should be broken in by now. You should be fine switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a '97 Prelude thats been running mobil 1 5w30 for as long as i can remember. It got 109k on it now should i stick with the 5w30 or go to a 10w30. Whats the real differance anyways.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i'm running the castrol 10w-30 in my d-16y8...and i wanted to know if i do switch to mobil, whats the difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30? which one is better...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
bmoua17 said:
well i'm running the castrol 10w-30 in my d-16y8...and i wanted to know if i do switch to mobil, whats the difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30? which one is better...
If you have a y8, then I assume your car is at least 6yrs old now. I would say that it is too late to switch to synthetic unless you want to replace your seals...

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i have only 62 k on it...but i guess i'll just stay with castrol then...but i was running on castrol 5w-30 for 2 months with 45k on the car and switched to castrol 10w30 around 53k and i felt a good amount difference. i mean does that mean that 10w30 is better than 5w30 or could it just be me??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts