Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so in the past 6 months i had that erratic hi-low idling problem with the ICV, however we tightened the plunger inside and it stopped. however now i've noticed that when i start the car up after its been sitting for awhile it starts and immediately drops really low for an idle, in fact it nearly dies. everything is fine once it warms up but if i touch the throttle before hand it tries to die when i let up. i've tried nearly everything i can think of, from cleaning the ICV, checking all of the vapor recovery lines, changing the pcv valve, and i know its not the tps because i got a new one a few months ago. anyone know what could be the problem? my last guess was that maybe i needed a new ICV. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
tightened all the way?

I understand from your thread that you screwed the cap of the plunger that sits underneath the TB back on, right?

I also did this when I had the idle prob, but I didnt retighten it all the way, ie left a bit of space open to let air through, cause I think it will seal itself @ normal engine operating temp. If you srewed it down all the way, then it wouldnt have an air bypass at all when warming up, explaining the low idle.

Other than that, have you also tried cleaning the IAC valve?
There should be a write-up somewhere on SHO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, i didn't know you werent supposed to tighten it all the way. i cleaned the valve before and it seemed to help at first but then it started up again. the odd thing is that most of the time it does idle very low when i start it up, but sometimes it doesn't and it almost starts up normally.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, I used common sense when I retightened the plunger, cause when I took it off it was completely loose/fallen off, so I figured the air rushing past was causing the high idle, while IAC was trying to lower it again, causing the surging.

I just srewed it in and tried blowing through the air hole, but its hard to explain how much resistance you should have.
It worked for me the first time out, got lucky I think.

Anyway, there are too much variables to determine what could be the problem, but I think the plunger is not supposed to be fully tightened since its on a spring that covers excessive travel when fully closed (coolant heat).

I hope this makes sense!

Try it, shouldnt take more that 1 hr!

G luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i can usually take my throttle body off in like 5-10 minutes but i have an AEM CAI for a 92-95 civic wedged into the throttle body thats a bitch to get on and off. i coudln't use the prelude one because it was too long so i compromised. thanks for the help though, i'll try it when i get a chance. i'm pretty sure i hammered down on that plunger though, so its probably extremely tight:D .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i just checked everything out on the ICV again. it was a little tight but not too bad, so i loosened it a little. i tried cleaning the ICV again and looked around the TB for possible leaks in the gasket. i figured this would help out but it didn't, it still idles low and now its getting worse since the weather is getting colder. anyone have any other idea's what it could be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts