Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still reading the CA Vehicle Code book about motor swaps. There's a lot of law gibberish that i'm trying to decypher.

anyways, from what i've heard, getting a motor from a car older than yours is illegal, so if that's the case, h23 turbo is out of the question for 6'th gen?

however, if it were a possibility, how would the reliability be? i've heard the bottom end won't last because after 120mph, it'll just blow? what about daily driving? would the turbo take a toll on the motor? it's like trying to frankenstein an h22head/h23block? any other problems i might experience before i put money on the damn motor that's sitting in the garage?

if h23 turbo is too big of a hassle, what about a supercharged h22? sure it'll have horses, but what about that torque needed to pull 4000lbs? HELP ME DECIDE!?!?! and convince me why.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a lot of high end with a lot of bottom end lag, my goal is for the take off to be just as consistent as the high end power...6'th gens are really heavy and i need major low end torque.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You must have more cash than me to burn, Ultra!! :D The H22A4 for the 6th gen alone costs around $4,500 (not inc. labor) for a low mileage one. Plus, about $4G for either the turbo or Jackson Racing Supercharger (again, not inc. labor). Wow!!

Personally, I think you're better off going with the SC when it comes to Hondas; due to the simple fact that Hondas lack torque. (The USDM H22A has 156lb-ft TQ; only 4lb-ft TQ more than the F23A1) You may not get as much potential HP but you'd be a monster off the line. NOTE: Civic guys with the JRSC have had problems getting traction off the line. (But, it could be just a function of the JRSC Civics high torque/low body weight.)

Whatever you do, post pics.

f23a4

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
money's not really the issue w/ motors cuz they drop in and out of the garage every so often, so when i'm ready to buy into my project, i'll have the choice between h22 or h23...... the turbo or supercharger i'll get through my normal hookups and end up having my car crew's mechanic help me put that stuff in. plus i jus applied for a new credit card (they are evil!!!) so all my car shit will go on there hahaha...

anyways, it looks like i'll be supercharging an h22 unless anyone can convince me otherwise. everyone please add your input!!?!?!?!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
make sure to add clutch/flywheel for 500-600

it will help out performance a lot, because your car will rev like mad. I say turbo h22, much higher HP potential, less drag on the engine.

My friend has JRSC on his civic, with cold air intake, headers, and exhaust, and that thing gets no traction in first gear or the shift into second.

so make sure to add clutch and flywheel that can handle the abuse and let the revs climb faster, and if you can add LSD, the take offs will be insane, but get teh turbo and h22, talk about a potent combo

·
Registered
420 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
money's not really the issue w/ motors cuz they drop in and out of the garage every so often, so when i'm ready to buy into my project, i'll have the choice between h22 or h23...... the turbo or supercharger i'll get through my normal hookups and end up having my car crew's mechanic help me put that stuff in. plus i jus applied for a new credit card (they are evil!!!) so all my car shit will go on there hahaha...

anyways, it looks like i'll be supercharging an h22 unless anyone can convince me otherwise. everyone please add your input!!?!?!?!!
I can convince you not to get a h22 w/ jrsc on a 6th. ask jackson racing if it'll fit. =) I'm willing to put money they'll say no. =( I ran into the same problem u did, I was sooooooo set on doing a H22 swap w/ jrsc untill I found out it wouldn't fit. fawkin firewalls in the fawkin way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

·
Registered
350 Posts
see_fu said:

I can convince you not to get a h22 w/ jrsc on a 6th. ask jackson racing if it'll fit. =) I'm willing to put money they'll say no. =( I ran into the same problem u did, I was sooooooo set on doing a H22 swap w/ jrsc untill I found out it wouldn't fit. fawkin firewalls in the fawkin way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(
That's pretty much the reason why there's no JRSC for the F-series Honda motors. The F23A is mounted pretty far rearward in the engine bay, pressumably to give the 6G I4 better weight distribution (?); that's why there's so much room between the motor and the radiator. So, it'd be the same story for the H22A.
The plus side is that there's plenty of room for a turbo setup.

Anyways, I think JR has pretty much given up the idea of developing the SC for the F22/F23. My last email with JR indicated that they are focused on developing the SC for the J30A/J32A/J35A motors.

f23a4

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
H22 TURBO sounds nice, but we're still gonna experience not only that lag due to weight, but turbo lag too....damn, by the time i get this car to pull decent times, i'll have to hand it down to my sister...oh well...at least she'll have a phat ride that could outrun her man's ride hahahaha.

anyways, maybe there's a way not to break the h23 low-end from goin to fast? come on people...throw me a freakin bone here hahaha. i got the h23 sitting in the garage, maybe it could be of some use? what's the stock torque on that badboy????

shit, maybe i'll have to fabricate the 3.2typeS motor into the bay, wow, that sounds nice too! my homeboy said its been done before, but i don't know. he died before i got to ask him if he was shitting me...lets get more ideas here...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
v4lu3s said:
2.3 vtecs are made by honda....

anyway turbo lag isnt a problem if you go with a small turbo.
F23 IS 2.3vtec...are there other dohc vtecs that are readily available that put out enough torque??? and i was thinkin about the small turbos too, what's the max additional hp and torque gains?

·
Registered
350 Posts
v4lu3s said:
sorry meant to say that h23 vtecs...they were first introduced for the 1998 and new accord wagon SIR model...
You know, I'd never heard of Honda having an H23 DOHC VTEC. (You learn something new everyday.)

Here's a couple of links for those of you not aware of this motor: http://www.accordwagonclub.com/6gen_info.htm AND
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accord_wagon/grade_data/sir.html

But it appears to be a relatively new motor, so it'll definitely be JDM may be hard to locate for a reasonable price. (I'd love to swap out my tranny for one of those S-Matic trannys; it seems like one of those Maxima Automagic trannys)

As far as turbos, I believe the most common turbos with Hondas are the Garrett T3/T4 hybrid turbos which have minimal lag. (check in the Turbo forum to be certain of this)

f23a4

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
$3000-5000 for a used H23 vtec that is a factory honda (not a shop built one)...only a little mroe than an obd2 h22 which i usually see from $2800 and up...there is a place in canada that brigns quite a few in i here...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yo, i heard the 7'th gen accord is gonna have a 2.4L V6 that pushes 240hp??? if that's the case, then maybe it'll fit into the 6'th gen bay? when i get some time imma search the forum for the validity of this rumor.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.