Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so this question got brought up the other day. my neighbor is out of town and she had set up her remote desktop or something through her windows laptop in her apartment. Well for whatever reason she cant access it from where she's at because supposedly her system is a MAC that she's using out of town unless she has the subnet mask stuff for her network at home.

our question is, is there a way to remotely find out her subnet mask on her setup at home? she doesn't have anyone with a spare key to access her computer's ipconfig directly.

Any ideas?? Also can she remotely access both pc and mac systems with the subnet masks and programs or are mac's setup differently than windows systems for remote access?

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
if she can access the router remotely she should be able to get that. but your other question I'm not sure of I know nothing of macs

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
if its active through her laptop, the laptop may have gone into sleep or hibernation

unless configured differently, I believe xp, vista, and 7 all by default shut down network ccards during this period

stupid thing, only way to confirm is to be at the computer physically

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
^ id have to agree with the laptop going to sleep.

but if port 3389 is open and her laptop at home has the IP it's port FW too then she should be able to get in.

And from a Mac to a Windows remote desktop she'll need RDP for Mac

Other things that could be wrong is that if she dose not have a static IP address from her ISP then it may change. A good way around this is using something like DynDns where it updates your IP address and you use a name to log in.

I use www.logmein.com for most of my remote access.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts