Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquiered a '95 Si w/ ~130k miles on stock wheels from a lady who babied and serviced her car regularly. After reading about the car I had originally expected the handling, ride, and 'stiffness' to be a lot more then it appears to be riding at. The car doesn't exhibit any oscillation if you do the usual press each corner of the car in and see if it bounces test. And at speeds <50mph the car seems stable.

But as soon as I drive freeway speeds the car seems relatively unstable. Maybe I've gotten way too used to my old Volvo or Mustang, but i'm wondering if something is suspect. When I say unstable I mean it feels like it's not necessarily wanting to go STRAIGHT ahead, it feels.....twitchy? I dont know. Sort of catches road grooves and exhibits a bit of 'boat' like tendencies if i wiggle the wheel left and right. Some body roll. Granted, the previous owner put some cheap whatever tires, but surely they wouldn't cause this sort of problem. Could this be an alignment issue? I feel like weaving through traffic with this condition would be a bit dangerous! I know this is vague, any ideas?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
davefung said:
Recently acquiered a '95 Si w/ ~130k miles on stock wheels from a lady who babied and serviced her car regularly. After reading about the car I had originally expected the handling, ride, and 'stiffness' to be a lot more then it appears to be riding at. The car doesn't exhibit any oscillation if you do the usual press each corner of the car in and see if it bounces test. And at speeds <50mph the car seems stable.

But as soon as I drive freeway speeds the car seems relatively unstable. Maybe I've gotten way too used to my old Volvo or Mustang, but i'm wondering if something is suspect. When I say unstable I mean it feels like it's not necessarily wanting to go STRAIGHT ahead, it feels.....twitchy? I dont know. Sort of catches road grooves and exhibits a bit of 'boat' like tendencies if i wiggle the wheel left and right. Some body roll. Granted, the previous owner put some cheap whatever tires, but surely they wouldn't cause this sort of problem. Could this be an alignment issue? I feel like weaving through traffic with this condition would be a bit dangerous! I know this is vague, any ideas?
Mine seems to do the same thing on backroads that aren't necessarily smooth and straight in the first place. On the freeway I have no problems whatsoever. And weaving through traffic in any car isn't exactly what I would qualify as safe. :rolleyes

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
stock suspension sucks...get yourself an aftermarket setup and I think you'll be good to go...and steer clear of the grooves in the damn road...they cause any car, new or old to act as if it had a mind of it's own ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
solsykness said:
stock suspension sucks...get yourself an aftermarket setup and I think you'll be good to go...and steer clear of the grooves in the damn road...they cause any car, new or old to act as if it had a mind of it's own ;)
x2

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
davefung said:
Some body roll.
You said it was stock, right?
davefung said:
Granted, the previous owner put some cheap whatever tires, but surely they wouldn't cause this sort of problem.
Why not? Tires are the only part of your car touching the road.
davefung said:
Could this be an alignment issue?
Quite possible. Get it checked out.
davefung said:
I feel like weaving through traffic with this condition would be a bit dangerous!
It's dangerous in any condition, and stupid. Please stop making modified Honda drivers look like complete idiots, it's really annoying.

·
Registered
207 Posts
from what i understood..I'd say check your wheel alignment.

but before doing that pick a straight road with no cars and leave the stearing wheel for a few seconds.. if the car doesnt go in straight line then its your wheel alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.