Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know if anyone ever painted rims. i got a set of Volk rims really cheap but the problem was that they were painted white and now they look like shit. im in the process of painting them right now. i used this thing called Aircraft remover to get the paint off and it worked really good. now i need to know what i should do next. sand them down, spary some primer on them. i just dont know what to do next. can anyone help me out here

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Dirty Mormon said:
I don't know if you want to paint them, but you could always get them powder coated....
That would be the way to go. They do this in Savannah :eek: My brother had his AEM c/a/i powdercoated white because Pep Boys f**ked it up while changing his clutch. Cost $25, he told Pep Boys it was $75 and made a quick $50 :D

He asked the guy about powdercoating wheels. The guy said $50 a wheel, which is not bad IMO!!

· Registered
2,988 Posts
93solman said:
powder coating sounds good. but i doubt its 50$ around where i live. where would i go to find a place that could powder coat them? would a car paintshop be able to do it??
This place was called something like "Powdercoating of Savannah" or some $hit like that. It had the catchy title to let you know they Powdercoat.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn too far for me. i live in va. i cant be drivin down to savana just to get some rims poweder coated. one other question if i was to get the rims powder coated and decided to get new tires. would the tire machine scrape the edges of the rim. do u get what im sayin. like would it peel off the powdercoating???

· Registered
899 Posts
where in VA are you from? NoVa?? I think most of the Va peeps are from NoVa on here! I"m about 1 hour south of Winchester. I live near harrisonburg if you know where thats at.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
93solman said:
damn too far for me. i live in va. i cant be drivin down to savana just to get some rims poweder coated. one other question if i was to get the rims powder coated and decided to get new tires. would the tire machine scrape the edges of the rim. do u get what im sayin. like would it peel off the powdercoating???
I watched them mount my wheels to the tires. A good mechanic does not let the crow bar or anything touch the wheel!!!

· Registered
2,988 Posts
93solman said:
thanks ill try and find a place that can powdercoat them. another question just poped in my head. would car paint work on the rims. and yeah i live in NO. VA, Manassas Park.
I believe Powder coating is different than car paint. I say this (I talked to my brother about his intake) because he says the Powdercoat is not smooth like car paint but more of a bumpy texture. Says it looks really good though on his c/a/i. I'll let you guys know when I see him next month...

· Registered
7,356 Posts
Re: rims

Hybrid Fever said:
I painted the stock steelies on my 95 civic htahcback. It's held up pretty good. I sanded them down really good, and then sprayed them with this engine enamel stuff. But I wouldn't risk it on a expensive set of rims.
how'd you go about doing this? feel free to p.m. me to about it. I can't afford rims right now, I was thinking of doing something like you did.

· Registered
180 Posts
The reason POWDER COATING is the way to go is because it is bonded using a +/- charge that has greater strength...in other words....its more of a shell rather than paint...paint will get scrathed in more instances than PCing compared to the same instances..plus...PCing gives u a deeper layer...so if something scrathces ur rim...itll still be white (to a certain extent).(That is if you are doing it white)

· Registered
648 Posts
93solman said:
just wanted to know if anyone ever painted rims. i got a set of Volk rims really cheap but the problem was that they were painted white and now they look like shit. im in the process of painting them right now. i used this thing called Aircraft remover to get the paint off and it worked really good. now i need to know what i should do next. sand them down, spary some primer on them. i just dont know what to do next. can anyone help me out here

I painted my cl type s rims due to the fact they had scratches on them when i got them. What i did was sand them down real good. then cleaned them off. primered with a couple of fine coats. Spray painted them like 8 coats if i remeber correctly. then i put on 2 coats of clearcoat. I used engine paint so the paint would hold up to the heat.

· Registered
49 Posts
LX98Civic said:

I watched them mount my wheels to the tires. A good mechanic does not let the crow bar or anything touch the wheel!!!
Huh?

I spent years mounting and removing tires from rims and there's no way you can do it w/o something metal (either the machine, or the bar) touching the wheel.

The "bar" is only used to get the tire over the rim initially. After that, it's all the machines work.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
95AccordV6 said:

Huh?

I spent years mounting and removing tires from rims and there's no way you can do it w/o something metal (either the machine, or the bar) touching the wheel.

The "bar" is only used to get the tire over the rim initially. After that, it's all the machines work.
Yeah, I was referring to the outer edge of the wheel :p They use the crow bar on the the inside where the air is :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.