Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Having trouble w/adj. koni shocks

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kommon_sense 
#1 ·
i just installed my koni adj shocks few days ago. The day i installed i could turn the knob to soft or firm. Today i cannot even turn the knob at all. Do you know what is malfunctioning the knob not to turn?

#4 ·
yeah the two front shocks cannot adjust at all. besides this not functioning something else happened. The front right shock is blown i think because when i give it a good push it bounces like a bed spring and you can hear it squeak. The other side and the back is fine . I dunno anymore im about to go take it all off and go buy the zeal coilovers. Any suggestions on what to do with these shocks/?

#5 ·
v6cpe978 said:
yeah the two front shocks cannot adjust at all. besides this not functioning something else happened. The front right shock is blown i think because when i give it a good push it bounces like a bed spring and you can hear it squeak. The other side and the back is fine . I dunno anymore im about to go take it all off and go buy the zeal coilovers. Any suggestions on what to do with these shocks/?
are you the original owner? if u are, and/or if you have the receipts for the shocks, you'll be able to get an exchange for a new one. i had the same problem on my drivers front and wasn't the original purchaser, so i didn't really have a warranty on them. i kept trying to turn the knob, and snapped off the tab.. so if anyone has for sale the drivers front koni yellows, neuspeed version... let me know

#6 ·
I find it hard to believe that you blew a koni in just a few days. I would take the shock/spring assembly apart and verify that everything is working as expected. Bumpstops, spacers, etc.

You can tell a blown shock by the rebound. The squeaking might be coming from the spring itself. Also if the shock were blown, your car wound be pretty bouncy and you would definately notice it since it is on the front.

#7 ·
no, im not the original owner so i guess im in the same situation as you. What caused the knob not to turn anymore? The thing is that i didnt install bumpstops on it and i bottom out alot. I guess it is blown since i did not install the bumpstop. Its not that bouncy in the front or back. Everytime i go over the bump it sounds like to metal plates clapping on each other.

#9 ·
v6cpe978 said:
no, im not the original owner so i guess im in the same situation as you. What caused the knob not to turn anymore? The thing is that i didnt install bumpstops on it and i bottom out alot. I guess it is blown since i did not install the bumpstop. Its not that bouncy in the front or back. Everytime i go over the bump it sounds like to metal plates clapping on each other.
If you don't have the bumpstops in place then you probably do have 2 metal plates clapping each other. Put the bumpstops back in and cut them the correct amount for your drop. If they aren't bouncy, then I really doubt that they are blown.

How much of a drop did you do, and did you adjust your ride height any using the collars on the koni?

As for the adjustment problem. I would call koni and ask some questions.

#10 ·
I dropped my car at least 3.0 in the front and 2.75 in the back. Yeah ill try putting the bumpstops in tommorow. I emailed koni but they never responded back since this past monday. Too much trouble im just going to trash the whole suspension. thanks for the help i appreciate it.

#11 ·
v6cpe978 said:
Too much trouble im just going to trash the whole suspension. thanks for the help i appreciate it.
Dude! If you're gonna trash it, I'll pay you shipping to get those dampers in my hands and I'll be happy to deal with the trouble and resell them and make a few hundred...

#12 ·
v6cpe978 said:
I dropped my car at least 3.0 in the front and 2.75 in the back.
The thing is that i didnt install bumpstops on it and i bottom out alot.
I think you've answered your own question . . . .

I'm guessing from your username you've got an Accord Coupe - which have about 3 inches of compression travel stock. Drop it 3 inches without bumpstops (effectively negating all margin for error), and your shocks will be trashed shortly.

#13 ·
v6cpe978 said:
i just installed my koni adj shocks few days ago. The day i installed i could turn the knob to soft or firm. Today i cannot even turn the knob at all. Do you know what is malfunctioning the knob not to turn?

from reading the koni manuals you are not spose to play with the adjuster knob until the shocks have settled which is about 1000kms from memory

#14 ·
Re: Re: Having trouble w/adj. koni shocks

94vtirozguy said:
from reading the koni manuals you are not spose to play with the adjuster knob until the shocks have settled which is about 1000kms from memory
"koni manual" ? I don't think that I got any such thing when I bought my koni's. I had a few slips of paper showing how to assemble the new shock assembly (bumpstops, washers etc). But no manual or anything regarding a "break-in period."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.