Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to figure out why my g/fs computer is being retarded...

now there is an active anti virus and spyware programs on her computer that i keep updated and use weekly...

now what im wondering is that the 20 gig thats in her computer was the HD that was in mine b4 i got my 100 gig... and that 20 gig was full of viruses and spyware... but that shouldve been wiped out when i reformatted it right?

cause what im thinking is that some of the viruses were not wiped out in the 4 times the computers been reformatted... is this possible? should i just go out and buy new HD for her computer???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
when you installed windows did you do a quick format of ntfs or a full format of ntfs? it makes a difference.
Honestly i'd say with the prices of drives like they are just get her a new 80giger from newegg.com and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5gencivic said:
when you installed windows did you do a quick format of ntfs or a full format of ntfs? it makes a difference.
Honestly i'd say with the prices of drives like they are just get her a new 80giger from newegg.com and be done with it.

i know it wasnt a quick format... i deleated the partition and did full format... i think anyways
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
TSXmike said:
i know it wasnt a quick format... i deleated the partition and did full format... i think anyways
you shouldn't be having any problems then. if you deleted the partition and recreated it then you definately did a low level format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5gencivic said:
you shouldn't be having any problems then. if you deleted the partition and recreated it then you definately did a low level format.
hmm wtf then... hmmm maybe ill just get a new hd for her computer anyways
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
that 20g HD is probably old and slow, lemme guess 5400rpm on this one? definitely get her something nicer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
What is the problem exactly?? If you formatted 4 times and did a complete format I honestly doubt this will fix the problem, unless the hd is just going out. What is the computer doing exactly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
While a new HD might be in order, I really doubt that it's the root of the problem. What do you have for firewall protection?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cryogen97 said:
While a new HD might be in order, I really doubt that it's the root of the problem. What do you have for firewall protection?

right now both computer have zonealarm as a firewall.. not sure if my router has one...

Red Si said:
What is the problem exactly?? If you formatted 4 times and did a complete format I honestly doubt this will fix the problem, unless the hd is just going out. What is the computer doing exactly?
what it does... the screen save turns off on its own, ie crashes all the time, word crashes all the time, has trouble connecting to the net once in a while.. like the other day she went to use word to write up some stuff for our wedding and all the icons in word were faded out and you couldnt use anything...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
do me a favor and get AVG free from www.grisoft.com I trust that one implicitly. I've found more virii with that program than most other. See if it doesn't show up anything. This is more of the 'try anything' stage of virii hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cryogen97 said:
do me a favor and get AVG free from www.grisoft.com I trust that one implicitly. I've found more virii with that program than most other. See if it doesn't show up anything. This is more of the 'try anything' stage of virii hunting.
lemmie try that one and ill get back to you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
cryogen97 said:
. I've found more virii with that program than most other. virii hunting.
and I have been saying viruses my whole life :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i used avg from grisoft and came up with 0 viruses... adaware wasnt working right so i went and got spybot and used that... came up with maybe 15 items of spyware...

think ill just get a new hd
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top