Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does Head Work do? what it is?

I raced this guy with a CRX and he beat me.. he said he did head work..

I have an 95 EX VTEC I never lose to CRXs

someone please tell me wtf is head work!

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
head work means that the head on the car has been upgraded.
most do a port and polish job. that means that the intake and exhaust openings on the head are enlarged and then polished for a smooth air flow. this allows more air to enter the combustion chamber and get out more easily.
others add cams with a higher lift, stiffer springs( to prevent valve float at high rpm) and upgraded retainers to keep everything in place.
you can also get bigger valves and have the head milled (raises compression.
these are some of the things that are included in head work.
i'm sure someone can explain it better and in more details.
just my2 cents

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nautica said:
thats pretty cool....

I'd love to do that with my SOHC VTEC motor... how much is it?

and if i do head work will it effect my VTEC?
Head work can be 'customized' or can be 'prefabbed'.. it really depends on you application. For instance.. a turbo P&P is going to be different than an all motor P&P... A high RPM horse power head job is going to be different than a low RPM torque head job.

Really.. you should just 'get a head job' because that is like telling someone to 'fill your car with gas'... it is open to too much variation..

The best thing to do is to find a good machine shop or performance shop and sit down w/ them and tell them what you want.

Or if you just don't give a damn and just want an 'off the shelf' head job.. try GUDE, Alaniz, DPR, RS Machine, etc....

And YES.. head work WILL effect your Vtec... good or bad?..couldn't tell you.. it depends on how good the guy is that does your head work..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got my port polished head for $350 from BullFrog. My friend used to work for them so it wasn't that much. You just got to shop around and see what kind of deal you find. Try Ebay Motors, they come up one there once in a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.