Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 gsr in my 98 hatchback dx and i went in today to install my new apexi n1 exhaust...not knowing that i would need a aftermarket header to fit it..wut header do u think would give me the best gains and witch would fit right wit the str8 threw exhaust?...i had to put the stock exhaust back on..very dissapointing.. i have been doing seaches on heads for a while now but im still in the process of making my choice if u can get back to me as soon as possible im looking to order it tonight or tomorrow as soon as possible..the reason i need it on so ergent is becuase the stock exhaust is so rusted out that it had a split up the middle and it sounds liek shit and im loosing performance..thanx :confused

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
JDM Monster7 said:
i have a 96 gsr in my 98 hatchback dx and i went in today to install my new apexi n1 exhaust...not knowing that i would need a aftermarket header to fit it..wut header do u think would give me the best gains and witch would fit right wit the str8 threw exhaust?...i had to put the stock exhaust back on..very dissapointing.. i have been doing seaches on heads for a while now but im still in the process of making my choice if u can get back to me as soon as possible im looking to order it tonight or tomorrow as soon as possible..the reason i need it on so ergent is becuase the stock exhaust is so rusted out that it had a split up the middle and it sounds liek shit and im loosing performance..thanx :confused
Why do you need an after market header to fit it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you need an after market header to fit it?

because i have a str8 pipe going to replace the cat..and it wont fit on the stock head so the mechanic sais..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
thats messed up because when you buy an aftermarket header it is a direct fit to your existing exhuast, but i dont know in your case with a swap. Also from experience, your going to have aftermarket header which is bigger in diameter, a test pipe, and catback exhaust?? That is going to be crazy loud, thats what i used to have and i ended up buying a highflow cat which is great for performance and noise level. But thats just my opinion. I still dont get why an aftermarket header would be longer then the stock one, but dc, greddy,edlebrock are a good header.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he said the piping goes like 5 inches past the cat so he wouldnt be able to put it on..im not really sure why tho, i would think that it should fit with the stock header but i guess not. thats why im so confused. i didnt think this dam apexi n1 would be so complicated

and also im looking for more mid end to top end power increase.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
He should have been able to do it with out a problem. If its too long thats an easy fix. He could have just cut the flange on your cat back (the part that bolts up to the cat) to the length that it needed to be to fit, then welded the flange back on.

Mat

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J.O.A.T said:
He should have been able to do it with out a problem. If its too long thats an easy fix. He could have just cut the flange on your cat back (the part that bolts up to the cat) to the length that it needed to be to fit, then welded the flange back on.

Mat
do you think i should carry it to another place? becuase from wut u are saying it sounds liek he isnt that experienced.. he sais i NEED an aftermarket header for it to go on..im going to order the greddy header today..do u think i will have any problems after that?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Really its up to you. It depends if you want them to cut you new exhaust and make it fit. Maybe you would want to sell it used some day. It might make it that hard if it wasnt regular size. But if you know your not going to and you want it on. Any reputable muffler shop should be able to do it. Shit I could do it in my drive way in 15 mins. All they have to do is chop saw it to the correct lenght then weld the/or new flange on. Im assuming that your cat outlet pipe is the same size as your new cat back.

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
J.O.A.T said:
Really its up to you. It depends if you want them to cut you new exhaust and make it fit. Maybe you would want to sell it used some day. It might make it that hard if it wasnt regular size. But if you know your not going to and you want it on. Any reputable muffler shop should be able to do it. Shit I could do it in my drive way in 15 mins. All they have to do is chop saw it to the correct lenght then weld the/or new flange on. Im assuming that your cat outlet pipe is the same size as your new cat back.

Matt
would it make a differance or make it easier if they put the header on the same time? because shit if its that easy then he clearly didnt wanna spend time on my car..he goes i need the correct header thatwill fit/ connect wit the piping..its a str8 apexi n1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and i prob wont end up sellin it used so who knows..i htink i just better go somewhere else because this shit is rediculous i payed 75 for nothing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i guess it that would be smart..how much wold it be to make an extension...and would i still have to get an extention wit the greddy header, thats where im confused cuz of wut his dum ass told me

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That sucks dude... what i am saying is that if you buy a header for a b18c your going to get the same size (length,fit)header as the stock on. the diameter is what would be bigger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so pretty much im dealin wit a bunch of retards at this shop..they should have been able to tell me this..i will def carry it somwhere else..i understand wut ur saying now

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wait, you said it was too long right? Not to short? Which one is it?

But either way even if it is to short, a muffler shop should be able to make an extention with flanges on both sides that should bolt up no problem (just like a mini test pipe). I mean shit that is there job right. If you take you head to a head shop, it would be safe to say they do valve jobs, and porting, right? If you took it to a muffler place and a guy said he couldnt do it, id go some where else.

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes he sais it is too short..about 8 inches shy i guess from where it should meet with the head.. so pretty much wut i need is that mini extention that should bolt up?...how much does it cost usually to have it made?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
JDM Monster7 said:
he said the piping goes like 5 inches past the cat so he wouldnt be able to put it on..im not really sure why tho, i would think that it should fit with the stock header but i guess not. thats why im so confused. i didnt think this dam apexi n1 would be so complicated

and also im looking for more mid end to top end power increase.
See you said it goes 5 inches past the Cat.

Matt

1 - 20 of 44 Posts