Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 ls with a GSR head on it! later on in the week i plan on upgrading my exhaust system. from the header all the way back to the muffler. i guess im just looking for your guys opinion on what route to go. I am pretty sure i am going to buy a header online and just have a muffler shop do the piping for me. no cat. just header then 2 1/2 piping to the muffler!

any ideas on what header i should be looking at?!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have a 96 ls with a GSR head on it! later on in the week i plan on upgrading my exhaust system. from the header all the way back to the muffler. i guess im just looking for your guys opinion on what route to go. I am pretty sure i am going to buy a header online and just have a muffler shop do the piping for me. no cat. just header then 2 1/2 piping to the muffler!

any ideas on what header i should be looking at?!
Depends on your future goals. The good ol' dependable DC Sports 4-2-1 is fine for most mild builds. It even supported 205whp on a B18B all motor build (it made more power than the ITR 4-1 header that was tested just before it).

But the JDM ITR 4-1 header is also a fine choice and in most cases makes more power than the DC Sports for mild builds.

Be aware of the powerband differences in 4-2-1, and 4-1.

If you're going crazy all motor, you go with a HyTech ($1200) or HyTech style knock-off (~$400), or have something custom made. These are known at Tri-Y designs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha thanks for the help..i guess im going to go look up the powerband differences between the two!.. i mean it looks like im going to keep my car all motor. and in a few months hopefully be at least around the 205whp region!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Depending on the emissions standards where you live, you might not pass the emissions test without a catalytic converter.

High-flow cats are popular though and would be more emission friendly.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
haha thanks for the help..i guess im going to go look up the powerband differences between the two!.. i mean it looks like im going to keep my car all motor. and in a few months hopefully be at least around the 205whp region!
You might want to look at a HyTech replica (most common replica is 'Rage') if you're looking at 205whp. This way you'll have 2.5" from the header collector and back. Sirfallsalot (Mid 190whp with full motor build - B18C1) saw a 20whp difference between his Rage header (HyTech replica) and his ITR 4-1 in the midrange.

The replicas are usually made from good materials, but can suffer in perfect fitment. Sirfalls actually lucked out and had perfect fitment, but the cheaper price of the replicas (still more expensive than DC-S and ITR) may cause them to have to be custom tweaked to fit perfectly.

Oh, and 4-2-1 usually excels in midrange.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Depending on the emissions standards where you live, you might not pass the emissions test without a catalytic converter.

High-flow cats are popular though and would be more emission friendly.
And the Magnaflow Carsound Hi-flow cat has shown many times on the dyno to match the power from a straight through test pipe.

In other high horsepower applications, test pipes will yield much higher results than a high-flow cat though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats wat i was looking for bro! an exact header to look at.lol! "rage"!!

and as far as emissions.

long story short! my dads in the military and we are always moving. my car is registerd in texas and i live in cali. so since the car registered out of state. i dont even have to take smog! cops cant get me for my tint, smog or pretty much anything thats on my car!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
im in the same situation as you. Military texas license...but i have a high flow cat because i dont wanna go around polluting for 1hp which isnt shit in reality. also your car smells when you have no cat.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
i wasn't 205whp, but i was quite happy with my dc 4-1 for 4 years. i just got a GSR swap (should be done tomorrow) and if the header won't fit, it'll be the last of that. dc gets a good rep from me though.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
I'm a big fan of my ITR 4-1. I bought it from this "Sirfallsalot" person you've heard so much about. :ninja

But yeah, it works well for mild builds usually around or below 200whp or so. Otherwise as said go with the DC.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
First time I've seen that replica. I didn't look around too long; is it fabricated by KTeller? They make great piping for custom exhausts, I'd probably trust them. Find some more info on that, see if anybody has commented on it...fitment, quality, welds, primary piping size options, power gains, powerband...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright for sure bro! but i thought the power gains were on the dyno chart towards the bottom of the page!?!?!

and do u have a website of another replica that you trust and know thats good?!
just wanna shop around before i spend 500 bucks on a header!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I don't see any Rage headers on eBay right now (just "Rage Style"). Your best bet is probably to go snooping around the classifieds on all the Honda forums. Or just typing it in google etc. If you keep your eyes open on eBay, you should be able to find real Rage headers, and ITR headers.

Reactions: MQTGSR

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
No problem.

Have you thought about how you want to achieve 200whp?

Upped Compression, head work, Upped Displacement, Big Camz, Nitrous....Some of the above, all of the above lol....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i defiently wanna up my compression..swap out my pistons.. and most likly get stage 1 cams. idk about nitrous!

but to be honest i dont know a lot about doing internal work. like wat to go with. wat will do what. so i will defiently be looking for some guidence when it comes to that!

but basically im getting a decent check coming in the mail and i basically wanna spend it on my stock ls/v!
so the first thing that came to mind was swap out my stock exhaust and header!!

so i was lookin on ebay. and saw the rage "style" header. thats not the same as THE RAGE HEADER?! right?! lol

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I really don't know much about the quality of the eBay headers that are the "style" of the good ones. You'll usually see auctions saying "HyTech SMSP Rage Style Header". They just put some good names in there, and then say style because of the Tri-Y design, and 2.5" collector. You get what you pay for; critical points are always the welds, fitment, discoloration of the metal due to high heats (because they aren't heat treated correctly), and fatigue.

You know with the brand names, that their pieces are proven. Anything else and you're just going by reviews and hearsay.

In getting 200whp on your ls/v you can't take advantage of making 200whp @ 8000rpm like you can on a GSR, because your ls block isn't stable above 7500ish. In any case, you'll upgrade your valvetrain, and replace your rod bolts and head studs with ARP hardware so you can safely rev to 7500-7700 with no issues. You'll need some headwork, P30 Pistons, at LEAST a stage 2 cam, probably stage 3, 3" intake, and 2.5" from header collector and back. You should also look into a slightly larger fuel pump, and injectors, and FPR to go along with whatever tuning you decide to go with.

You can always go for aftermarket pistons instead of OEM P30 pistons (B16A). Since you have to take the rods out, you could grab some crower/eagle rods for more peace of mind in the high revs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts