Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have had ours on for 7 or months now. We order the thermotec wrap and clamps. Regular hose clamps would probably work, but the thermotec clamps are lower profile and don't take up as much room.

We haven't had any problems. Best thing to do is take off the headers, take your time, we the wrap a little to make it lay right. We didn't get the spray on overcoating and haven't had any problems.

It is AMAZING how much heat the wrap keeps out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I just got my new header and put it on with wrap and yes the only word is AMAZING to describe how well it works, I can hold the primary with my bare fingers after driving, I accedently touched the flange and I singed my knucle, and yes it work extremley well almost beond belife, I dont nkow how or why you would run a SS header without this stuff Will have pics up tommorow

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was putting stainless steel headers on my prelude so I put some thermotech heat wrap on it too. I got it off ebay, 2"x50', for $45 shipped. I wrapped the headers completely and had about 14' left so i wrapped the "A" pipe until the flex part but it ended up getting in the way of one of the bolts so I had to take it off that pipe. It wasn't very hard, just take your time and its easy. I used some regular clamps from lowes on mine, they work fine.

Once I started the car, the wrap started to immediatly smoke and change from a white to a dark greyish brown, which is normal, it stopped after about 5 minutes.

In the ways of heat reduction it is amazing. As speedjunky said you really can touch your finger to the primary after driving and not burn yourself. Definitly a must for anyone whose putting stainless steel headers on their car.

Heres a picture of what it ended up looking like...

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I have a wrapped JDM ITR header and love it. :btu

I was wondering if it would make any sense to wrap the runners on an intake manifold? Kind of the same idea as the hondata gasket- keeping heat from entering the IM. Maybe a dumb idea, but i just thought of it lol.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
I have a wrapped JDM ITR header and love it. :btu

I was wondering if it would make any sense to wrap the runners on an intake manifold? Kind of the same idea as the hondata gasket- keeping heat from entering the IM. Maybe a dumb idea, but i just thought of it lol.
worth a try wrap the intake as well anything that will keep heat soak down is great, but the IM it may not work unless you do the coolant recirculation trick. if you wrap it with the coolant still runing in the IM it would hold heat in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually you'll bee keeping heat in, heat soak comes from the head and goes to the intake manifold, so wrapping the manifold will keep the heat of the manifold in the manifold, may even get hotter because the manifold can't release heat into the surrounding air.

You can coat the inside and outside with ceramic coatings... this should help keep heat in the manifold trapped in the metal.

as for using coolant, coolant is pretty hot. so I would double check that you're actually dropping the manifold temp with coolant and not maintaining it at a high temp or worse making it hotter.

Removing coolant on my carb manifold actually allows it to run cooler, which is why I question using coolant to reduce the temp.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
A20A1 said:
Actually you'll bee keeping heat in, heat soak comes from the head and goes to the intake manifold, so wrapping the manifold will keep the heat of the manifold in the manifold, may even get hotter because the manifold can't release heat into the surrounding air.

You can coat the inside and outside with ceramic coatings... this should help keep heat in the manifold trapped in the metal.
Yep. I posted that several months ago. I installed a Hondata intake manifold gasket to keep the heat down. :tu

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
A20A1 said:

did you not read what I wrote? I said that unless you recirculate coolant it will keep heat in.

using a hondata gasket and rerouting coolant it will be cooler.

it would be retarded wrapping the Im any way wrapping an intake pipe is good since it will keep heat from the engine transferring to the IM pipe to a minimum.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.