Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy a mod for the civic, i was wanting to know if i should either get a 4 2 1 header or a edelbrock IM what should i buy and what would benifit me with the most hp?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
neither is going to net you that much hp, however personally, i would get headers...

·
Registered
478 Posts
the y8's have a pretty effective OEM exhaust manifold except for the collector size. (especially the 99-00's)

but if you have a stock exhaust and the cat in place then the collector is fine =)

kommon is right, learn how a motor works and what internal combustion is, understand the ottoman cyle then read about it more after that. the secret to making power is not the wallet, its the brain.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
i would reconmend the IM, if you wher to go turbo you can still use the IM

they both can get about the same HP.

oyeah you can use a bigger TB with it to.

·
Registered
478 Posts
the intake manifold could provide less performance on stock motor due to the size causing intake air velocity to drop in the intake. there is such a thing as overkill.

the skunk2 (and most other aftermarket manifolds) are in my opinion failry oversize for most peoples needs when considering a stock z6 or y8 has a damn good intake manifold stock(these will stil work extremely well even for turbo/nitrous cars)

These aftermarket manifolds are for high horse power or high reving(breathing) motors. in which case runner length, design, and plenum volume are things to think about when you are at that level.

then again, everyone wants the "bling."

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
4dr said:
the intake manifold could provide less performance on stock motor due to the size causing intake air velocity to drop in the intake. there is such a thing as overkill.

the skunk2 (and most other aftermarket manifolds) are in my opinion failry oversize for most peoples needs when considering a stock z6 or y8 has a damn good intake manifold stock(these will stil work extremely well even for turbo/nitrous cars)

These aftermarket manifolds are for high horse power or high reving(breathing) motors. in which case runner length, design, and plenum volume are things to think about when you are at that level.

then again, everyone wants the "bling."

Well put!!! Most people that I know say that the EBIM does them little for performance... Like klungemonger said, I would also go with the header, cause if you are just starting to mod now, then I know that more than likely, it will be awhile before you do anything serious...

·
Registered
478 Posts
i personlly would use the edelbrock mani if i planned on over 350 whp turbo setup. nothing less.

save the money and invest in tuning and a cam.

btw yea this is a "post whore" reply.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
well, if you have a 2000 ex they came stock witha 4-2-1 header on them from the factory :D . Whether or not its worth keeping is up to you. the throttle body is fairly decent too. so i would get a CAi before anything

·
Registered
478 Posts
99 also had them i beleive.

i have two im going to be using on my crx.

u have to modify the collector to get the real benifit of an aftermarket header but after that its just as good as any 4-2-1 off the shelf design.

the 96-98 cast iron y8 peice is also better than any of the other stock D series manifolds only ousted by the 99-00 tubular steel unit.

but yea, not really relevant here since the guy likely doesnt want to modify the collector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts