Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yea, fought that bitch for about 3 hrs today cuz didnt have some tools and then didnt eat all day, and then i've never done this before so um, after 2 more hrs of work I finally installed that fucker.

DC Sports 4-2-1 CC header. Ugh
Here's some pics for you all

The DC header on the left and the Stock EX manifold on the left.
The piping seems a bit bigger on the DC and a bit nicer internally too.

Top shot of the bottom section, the DC on the left and the EX on the right
Again you can kinda see the DC is a bit nicer and if you looked INTO the piping it was a lot smoother too

This is a shot of the collector.
The DC on the left and the stock EX one on the right.
The smaller piping on the EX one is the actually piping, the rest is just gasket
The DC as you can see is slightly larger than the stock EX piping all the way through.

And here we can see it in the engine bay, installed.

Difference between the two in performance?
My head says yes, My ass and brain say no because it would be too small to notice.
On the other hand, the exhaust got a bit quieter, the car felt smoother overall and the starting of the car got a lot peppier too. Car feels like it has an easier time starting and getting up to speed versus the stock manifold and downpipe and the loud noise of the exhaust system has been quieted down a bit which was nice too.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
looks like, 2 hours is not bad for a first time, mine took forever because I had to use "the ghetto impact wrench" (hook up a wrench and then beat with hammer) more like 3-4 hours

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joeyl said:
looks like, 2 hours is not bad for a first time, mine took forever because I had to use "the ghetto impact wrench" (hook up a wrench and then beat with hammer) more like 3-4 hours
2 hrs was spent just altogether if i went straight and knew what I was doing.
This mo fo took like a few, just like yours....so collectively it was 5 hrs with handtools and no power tools. 12mm socket, 14mm socket and a 12 inch extension bar and a 14mm open ended wrench.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
where did you pick up the header?
on mine I wrapped the ac hose with insulating tape because I was concerned about the lack of shielding, and I did not want to cover the seksy stainless steel

·
Registered
243 Posts
good job. i am thinking about gettin too .. my shit is rusted so bad haha .. i also just have the factory exhaust. would headers be pointless

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ACCORDDUST said:
good job. i am thinking about gettin too .. my shit is rusted so bad haha .. i also just have the factory exhaust. would headers be pointless
The header would help in evacuating the combustion chamber but that extra release would then be bottlenecked and pinched at the stock exhaust system which goes to a smaller piping. It looks like the stock piping is about 1.8 inches and the catback i have is 2.25. The piping on the DC header looks about 2 inch at the collector.
Its kinda like putting an intake on the car, you get a smoother running engine but its still got bottlenecks and little hitches here and there so you wont see full benifit until you do the intake, header and then the exhaust.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joeyl said:
where did you pick up the header?
on mine I wrapped the ac hose with insulating tape because I was concerned about the lack of shielding, and I did not want to cover the seksy stainless steel
I wouldnt be too concerned with the shielding because if you think about it like this.
The heatshield on the stock manifold COVERS almost all airflow to the exhaust manifold. When this happens you get the oven baking effect going on the heatshield. Which means that during stop and go or idle the oven baking heat would dissapate into the engine bay.......therefore working the crap out of your ac hoses.
WIth the Dc exposed, heat can escape in all directions and also while the car is in motion....so that negates the whole heat issue.
Where I am somewhat concerned is on the whole heat/cold air interchange.
Take a piepan and heat it up slowly, then drop it in cold water.
You notice that piepan crumples.
Same effect here; but DC would probably have worked that hot/cold air thing into their construction because I havent heard of other header falling apart or cracking.....unless it was a really cheap brand.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
true I never thought about it like that

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuckin bitch.......im running seafoam right now and there is an exhaust leak on the left side of the header right where it goes into 2, jus before the downpipe.
How much are exhaust gaskets?
I used some older ones but I might just need to replace the bolt.
One of the three bolts stripped at midsection and wasnt getting real tite.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
haha. you could just pick up an f22b2 collector/flex pipe that has no o2 bung and plug the working o2 into the header.

about gasket, i got some delivered from DC sport back in the day and they were like $15

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bonestock94 said:
haha. you could just pick up an f22b2 collector/flex pipe that has no o2 bung and plug the working o2 into the header.

about gasket, i got some delivered from DC sport back in the day and they were like $15
lolz yea I think i'll hit up DC for that but I just remember a bolt stripped on that particular side so im thinkin the leak is due to the fact that i couldnt really torque that bolt down cuz it was stripped.
About the flex pipe/o2 situation.....yea I remember the LX/DX collector pipe trick that could be done but im thinkin if I wanna run a A/F gauge then I can jus tap the one not being used.....or something.....i dunno. lolz

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah if your gonna run a wideband o2 the extra bung will come in handy.

maybe you need some high temp gasket making compound, make your own gasket to seal the leak.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bonestock94 said:
yeah if your gonna run a wideband o2 the extra bung will come in handy.

maybe you need some high temp gasket making compound, make your own gasket to seal the leak.
Yea might as well do it right with an 02 wideband otherwise i will have such a pretty light show but an inaccurate reading from hell hahahah
Questions..........on a wideband 02......I am about to do a swap to a H23 dohc vtec motor...........wideband kits are universal or car specific? :confused

As for the exhaust leak, i found out why it is leaking.
The driverside bolt, stripped out, about mid way so the nut on top isnt able to clamp it down like it should........ima have to get ahold of a 14mm bolt and nut. :bh

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
zeitronix and most other popular widebands are universal and come with a numerical meter so hooking up an autometer AF meter or any other light show ones arent needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts